Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2662 times)

bmynbr

Is this normal?
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

Hey guys. I have a little 4 hp 2 stroke kicker.  I just got it running again, and noticed like oil sludge in the water after running. It was only in neutral. Have I just never noticed this or do I have a leak in the leg.  I'll try ad post a pic when I figure out how

bmynbr

Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

Smell the oil if it smells like gas it's just a fouled out motor. To me it looks like there's an excess of unburned 2 stroke oil in your engine not gear oil. I recently picked up a 6hp Johnson that was doing the same thing, probably from the previous owner using too rich a mix. All modern 2 stroke oil should be ran at 50:1. Check the leg oil level and check for milkiness if oil is coming out water is going in.
Better to be safe then sorry but that said it looks like excess 2 stroke oil built up in your engine coming out the exhaust. You can buy a spray (the name escapes me) and spray it into the intake while it's running to clean out the build up. It works great, or you can go for a looooong ride at full tilt and that could clean it up a bit to. Make sure you bring a couple of spare plugs with you.

Edit: have a look at the exhaust port and if it looks real sludgy thats your problem.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »

The spray I was referring to is called "Power Tune" it's a Mercury product. Works fantastic just follow the directions

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »

Use power tune! Improves performance and will rid the engine of build up that usually blows the motor up. Once every year or 2 or 100 hrs I think.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »

Oh and don't over mix go to spec exactly to much oil is more build up.

mikeyman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »

Change the plugs or at least clean them after.