Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Salmon 2015  (Read 7643 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Pink Salmon 2015
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »

As we move in to Summer I feel that Salmon fever coming on... It's a pink salmon year for the lower mainland, and the last time they were around it was a huge run. I'm not expecting that type of return this year, but it should be fun none the less.

Can't wait to hook up on some feisty pinks on the Loop Cross S1 6wt!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Salmon 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »

DFO estimates are the Fraser Pink Salmon returns will be between 10 and 20 million which should be more than enough to provide an abundant fishery. In the last several cycles returns have been at the the mid point or higher - the estimates have been conservative as ocean conditions have favoured pink salmon relative to most other salmonid species. See: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publications/ScR-RS/2015/2015_014-eng.pdf p 33
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TimL

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »

Sounds like good news. This will be my first season fishing for pinks...looking forward to it!  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »

Sounds like good news. This will be my first season fishing for pinks...looking forward to it!  :)
and I hate the large amount of garbage left behind as well by the hordes that will invade our precious Fraser River. :'(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Regardless how many fish return each season (unless the run is experiencing a total collapse), the fishing is always good in the first two weeks of September. For the Tidal Fraser River the tide makes a big difference, so your timing will dictate your fishing results. TimL you're going to have a lot of fun with it. :)

creeper778

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:23:27 AM »

last season's fishing was awesome i kept hooking them right in the tip of the snout surprised the hook stayed in !! will have a small file in the vest this time around.

Should be ball of fun as long as everyone get along there's no need to fish so close to each other. Last season I noticed the slime on the pinks was a yellow tinge not all of the ones i caught anybody else have that?.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »

I have actually never seen an incident due to fishing too close together during Pink season though I only fish salt, or the Fraser between Steveston and Ft. Langley.
Everyone seems to be happy to share the water even when the fishing is slow. Of course the Vedder could be different.
I didn't see any yellow slime last Pink season.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »

Last Pink season, lots of people were claiming the run was late in the Tidal Fraser when may be the fish were just swimming farther away from shore out of their casting distance.  Lots of people were claiming not as good catching rates compared to other years. I wonder what this season will be like.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »

Last Pink season, lots of people were claiming the run was late in the Tidal Fraser when may be the fish were just swimming farther away from shore out of their casting distance.  Lots of people were claiming not as good catching rates compared to other years. I wonder what this season will be like.

I didn't experience that at all last time, it was right on time. I think people get confused as to where the fish are at in the system and where they are fishing at what time.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »

last season's fishing was awesome i kept hooking them right in the tip of the snout surprised the hook stayed in !! will have a small file in the vest this time around.

Should be ball of fun as long as everyone get along there's no need to fish so close to each other. Last season I noticed the slime on the pinks was a yellow tinge not all of the ones i caught anybody else have that?.

Getting them in the beak is a great spot to hook a fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »

I thought they got started early in 2013 but then it may have just been the huge number of fish available made the nose of the run that much bigger. How good the fishing is will depend to some extent how many fish get into the river - commercial seine fisheries at the mouth of the Fraser have taken a significant # the last couple of cycles. In 2013 it was close to 5 million fish from the Fraser alone.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »

Already heard of pinks caught in sooke and Victoria even couple weeks ago...indication of large run and early timing maybe!

243Pete

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 02:50:50 AM »

I thought they got started early in 2013 but then it may have just been the huge number of fish available made the nose of the run that much bigger. How good the fishing is will depend to some extent how many fish get into the river - commercial seine fisheries at the mouth of the Fraser have taken a significant # the last couple of cycles. In 2013 it was close to 5 million fish from the Fraser alone.
Reminds me of the runner that dropped their nets right in front of me after I caught my limit. Once that happened it basically went quiet for everyone else who was fishing along the Fraser. When I saw how many boats were out at the mouth of the Fraser it basically made for some really slow fishing.