Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are gas power motors now allowed on Mill Lake in Abbotsford?  (Read 5579 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer

It's been commonly accepted that Mill Lake was restricted from using gas motors but after several year of this not being in the regulations are gassers now allowed on the lake? It used to be prohibited and posted in the regs 6-10 years ago but not any more.

Is there something that tells me that I can't use a gas motor in there?

Not that I would use one at Mill Lake since I prefer to row but what says I can't?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Are gas power motors now allowed on Mill Lake in Abbotsford?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:31:51 AM »

Navigation regulations are the responsibility of the Canadian Department of Marine Transport. You can contact the Feds if it is no longer posted at the Lake.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »

In that small lake I would assume no. Don't need it anyways could prob paddle across in 5 mins.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »

In that small lake I would assume no. Don't need it anyways could prob paddle across in 5 mins.

While I appreciate your opinion, it does nothing to answer the question I posted.

In the past, the freshwater regulations clearly posted that it was electric motors only. There also used to be a sign which also stated no gas motors near the launch. The sign is no longer there and the regulations stopped posting that it was limited to electric only. The first time the regs were absent of the electric only notation, it was believed to be a print error but subsequent regs have also been absent of that notation.

I believe it must be open to gas motors but like I said, I only row the lake now. I haven't used my electric on Mill Lake for at least 5 years now and would never bother with a gasser out there. Surely if it were restricted from gassers, wouldn't this be in the regs and/or posted at the lake?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »

The fishing synopsis listings about what sort of power is allowed is for info only. As I mentioned putting such regulations in place and keeping them there is done by the Federal Government though local governments are usually involved and consulted so you can try Abbotsford Parks and Rec
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »

Sweet I am going to drop my 19 ft trophy with 125 hp merc in there and go for a rip!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »

So according to Abby parks and Rec, there is a bylaw that states rowing and electric motors are allowed but the use of gas powered motor must be approved by city council.

I don't know, I find this a little loose. I would expect this bylaw would be very well posted if it were to be enforced.

Maybe the locals enforce it with loud yelling and cursing at the offending gas motor user.

A 19' Trophy in Mill Lake would be interesting to see.

I have twice seen big boat in there but only to swap trailer. Once was a big jetboat that had me a little worried but it remained on a rope the whole time of the trailer swap and the guy never got into the boat.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »

If the Trophy doesnt rot out in the meantime.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »

When I was kid in the late 60s Mill Lake was a popular picnic spot for our extended family. At some point the ski boat crowd discovered the lake and it wasn't uncommon to have 2 to 4 such boats ripping around the lake on a weekend afternoon. The lake wasn't that popular for other forms of boating but was popular as a swimming hole. The power boat ban came into effect fairly quickly.

mikeyman

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »

Why would it rot out?