Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a remote fishy river  (Read 1966 times)

lapetitebuse

Looking for a remote fishy river
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone fished the phillips river on the central coast? (it's about 100km straight north of campbell river)
I am looking for a remote river to go spend a week mid september and thought this one would do.
I heard it has all 5 species of salmon, but really I don't have a lot of details so any information is welcome.

Or if anybody could advice me on a remote river I could go to, that'd be great. Anywhere on Vancouver Island or central coast, that has float plane access, decent access on foot, and lots of salmon and trout!

cheers!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Looking for a remote fishy river
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:58:08 AM »

try googling Phillips River BC. It once had a large run of chinook but these declined back in the 70s. There is some enhancement work run by local native bands.

You may surprised to know that many of these remote rivers have suffered from bad logging practices and salmon and steelhead runs were seriously impacted both by widespread clear cuts and by easy access and over fishing. Researching where and when may take some doing if you want a wilderness experience on such coastal rivers. Many are glacial streams and murky in summer. Overall fishing is similar to the Squamish system and bull trout are the typical catch. You need to be prepared for the presence of grizzlies as well.

There are tour operators who run eco-tourist expeditions on some of the river on the mid-coast.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

lapetitebuse

Re: Looking for a remote fishy river
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:50:02 AM »

Hey Thanks for the reply. Kinda hard to know what's going on in these remote locations, and sad to hear about what you said