Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inflatable boats  (Read 5049 times)

rezak

Inflatable boats
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »

Has anyone had an experience with these or anything similar?  https://www.seaeagle.com/MotormountBoats/SE9

I'm looking to get something that can be thrown into a car because I don' have access to a trailer. Also possibly hiked up to small alpine lakes.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:27:30 PM by rezak »

losos

Re: Inflatable boats
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »

I have similar pontoon that can carry 600 lb. I would not hike with it as it is heavy (thick vinyl). It is good for small lakes especially with electric motor and bench that I made myself for it.
There was a good pontoon sold couple weeks ago in Costco. Try to find one. It was similar to zodiac ,but at fraction price.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »

Honestly Hypalon is the way to go.    Google the material and read up on it. 

I have one for sale that's pending pick up so I am not being bias....  They are stronger and better boats overall
see ya on the river

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

Yep, I'd get a real inflatable for fishing out of, (zodiac style and can be found used for pretty cheap) and a float tube for hike in fishing. But that's just how I do it  ;D

Kenwee

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Achilles inflatable which is made of Hypalon is the best.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

I have that exact same boat with a 55lb thrust motor. Girlfriend and I fish out of it a lot, recently at alouette with the wind. Fits well in her Jetta or my truck, rubbed it up on some logs, rocks and gravel and no issues yet.

Edit:   http://inflatableboatworks.com/?p=1796
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:46:37 PM by TheFishingLad »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:46:45 AM »

Nothing wrong with a PVC boat for light duty use. Cheap and light is good.
Check the thickness of the material - some cheaper boats are very thin and prone to punctures.
Rafts (no transom) are certainly lighter than zodiac style boats.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:42:08 AM »

My only thought is while this looks like a great deal if you are having it shipped across the border exchange,shipping, taxes and brokerage can substantially increase the price.

Locally Aquamarine sells PVC boats made in China to it's specs and these have been popular among local stillwater anglers for a number of years which start in at the $800 mark. Outcast and NFO make similar products starting around $1,000 locally but sometimes can be had for less 2nd hand. Checking craigslist is also a good idea.

here's an example: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/bod/5055533661.html

Sea Eagle has been marketing boats for a long long time and I'm sure they are fine but just make sure you are getting as good a value as it appears.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:01:25 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rezak

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 08:14:35 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I look at zodiac styles and they're definitely to  heavy to hike with but this guy at 35lbs would be manageable if it can be stuff down into a small enough sack.  I thought of a float tube but then the dog can't come fishing after hiking in. 

rezak

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »

I have that exact same boat with a 55lb thrust motor. Girlfriend and I fish out of it a lot, recently at alouette with the wind. Fits well in her Jetta or my truck, rubbed it up on some logs, rocks and gravel and no issues yet.

Edit:   http://inflatableboatworks.com/?p=1796

How small of a package can this thing be folded and stuff into?

TheFishingLad

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

With it's carrying case they picture, which is the smallest you'll get it, not small enough. With the dog you would also want the wooden floor which is double awkward to carry any distance with other things.

Howlongsyourleader

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 10:40:17 PM »

Check out Kokopelli packrafts. I ordered one last year. Its roughly 7 pounds and packs into a big backpack. Works well for me for hiking into lakes and paddling some of the local rivers.  Rugged product, I would happily buy another.

http://kokopelliraftco.com/collections/packrafts
Have you seen my float?