Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Near Kingston, Ontario  (Read 14552 times)

CoastRider

Fishing Near Kingston, Ontario
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am used to fishing 250-300 days a year back in BC, but now that I am going to school out East, i haven't been able to get out due to a lack of local knowledge. I have researched fairly briefly as most of my research time goes into my classes.

Has anyone spent any time fishing along the lake, a few hours North of Toronto, South of Ottawa kind of area?

Just looking of general areas that might be worth a look, time of year when it is worth trying to wet a line. Also maybe some of the strategies used out here, as I know a lot of guys like to go crazy stealthy with 2-4lb leader due to the slow moving flows(No Mountains  >:()

I am quite confident in most types of fishing(drift fishing, spin casting, fly fishing) and would be hoping to target trout/steelhead more than bass/walleye but at this point im getting in the need of some time on the water and would be up for just about anything,.

I have a vehicle and would be able to travel pretty much from Toronto to Ottawa, but would be hoping for something closer to Kingston.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated

Lyall

Re: Fishing Near Kingston, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

I feel your pain. I am from BC but went to university in Southern Ontario for the last few years...so glad to be back home :P  I would imagine there would be quite a bit going on in your neck of the woods. If you don't get any help here try on speypages - there are a lot of great lakes guys who I'm sure would be happy to teach you a thing or two.

Winter steelhead trips out there will redefine your definition of 'cold'! Good luck with the search.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

hey bud... .your in perch bass pike and walleye country. they have salmon come up at kingston mills but NOT like here. they arrive in small numbers and not easy to catch. Try the floating bridge near town as trout are caught there.. as well as the usual suspects. Good luck

Robsrsx

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »

floatfishing dot net  has a lot  of  info   on  steelheading on  the  north  side  of  lake  Ontario

torontopike

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

you can try steelheading in port hope. you can start to look for holding water from mouth of the river and work way up  and if you don't mind driving few more miles. bowmanville creek has some good fishing pools as well.

where do you live? if you would like to try other species. Trenton is one of best place to fish for walleye and bass.

btw Niagara whirlpool is famous for steelhead in spring. :D 

millsm

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

I grew up in southern Ontario and learned to fish at grandparents cottage on Devil Lake which is about half an hour north of Kingston.  I only fished in the summer there as I was young, but I absolutely love it there. I've made the trip back twice while in my 20's. That area is a great summer fishery for bass, pike, lake trout, perch and walleye where they exist (not in Devil Lake).  I'm sure some others have much more knowledge than I do about the salmon/steelhead/trout fishing in some of the tributaries.  Once you gain more knowledge I think you'll start to realize how great the fishing is in Ontario.   

CoastRider

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:19 AM »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Its amazing how a day on the water takes all the worries away.

you can try steelheading in port hope. you can start to look for holding water from mouth of the river and work way up  and if you don't mind driving few more miles. bowmanville creek has some good fishing pools as well.

I live in Kingston, Any idea on what time of year or type of fishing would be most effective?
Just hoping to have some idea of what I should take, as it would be a little bit of a drive, don't mind putting some miles on my boots, but I would like to know there is at least a slight chance i might get a bite haha

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »

Leafs Suck

fishernick

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »

any river on the north side of of lake O has fish right now, salmon should be done but the browns and steelhead are in! i havent fished east of port hope but you dont want to fish the ganny now. its all closed except a small stretch right at the mouth and its normally always busy, it fishs similar to a canal.

float fishing is a bit different out east, best accomplished with a centerpin. bust out the long rods(11'-15' feel, 13 foot being my fav), main line 10lb floating line, light leaders(4-6lb test, 4 when its super clear and go higher as it gets dirtier), some plastic clear floats(2-8grams depending how deep and fast the water is, my preference is 4), get a tube of small split shots(BB1 and BB3 are all you will need on a tappered shot line, go onto ravens site for a few different shotting patterns for different situations), if you dont have roe get some and start tying bags(best colors are white, chart and pink) :) , lol. but not to worry, stock up on small pink worms, they are a work horse!

ice season is around the corner so hit up quinte for some monster walleyes and lots of lakes around you.

send me a pm i can give you some more info and a couple of places to park, im sure you can do the rest :)
also theres a great site that you should check out.

http://www.ontariofishingforums.com/forum/

dave c

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

Try Wilmot Creek near Peterborough.  Good Steelhead returns. Nice little river. Credit River in Port Credit also has steelhead and brown trout returns as well as the annual Spring Salmon returns.  In the warmer months Grand River is a must.  A little west of Toronto but well worth it.  Great for flyfishing as well as float fishing.  Monster steelhead and Brown trout.  Tight lines.  And for a real treat hit the Air Canada Centre and watch the most popular hockey team in the universe play. LOL let me have it boys.  I know I've got Gadsen in my corner! 8)