Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Region 2 steelhead management cutback in 2010  (Read 7630 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Region 2 steelhead management cutback in 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »

The government will spend more on those freaky olympic mascots than they will on steelhead over the next 10 years.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »

I know this will sound a little hard, but what sort of Management did they do previously? Their idea of management is to stop doing anything and just let nature take care of things. It will be interesting to see how much longer the stream stocking of Steelhead will go on...Will we even have Hatchery Steelhead on any streams in BC in 10 years or so? And is that a bad thing? Lakes are a lot easier to manage.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »

I doubt there will be any fish in 10 years if DFO keeps going the way they are!

As I seen on another site:

Destroying
Fisheries
Often

This has nothing to do with DFO. Steelhead are under the jurisdiction of MOE.
Actions speak louder than words.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »

This typical lack of foresite from our Province is so frustrating ... shame on Barry Penner for allowing this to happen in his own back yard.  I feel sorry I for the MOE people who DO care; all the BCCF people and especially biologist Greg Wilson, who for years has tried to raise the profile of steelhead management on the Chilliwack-Vedder.  What a kick in the pants.

buck

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

Dave 

I'm surprised at the lack of interest being show by the fishing public. I would have thought this would have generated a huge outcry. Looks good on Barry as does gravel gate. What, no photo OP on this one?

tuna

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »

It is very unfortunate the way our fisheries have gone , for example we went from a 4 coho limit ( and I mean an easy relaxing day of fishing ) of wild fish (they ere mostly hatchery anyway) ......to 2 hatchery fish or 4 (on vedder )so the first nail in the coffin ....still no-one complained and just excepted IT! then to make up for less hatchery coho they planted harrison white springs everywhere ( everybody likes to fight a big fish) still we said nothing as we all were to busy fighting big springs , well little did we realize what these fish meant ( our powers that be found out how to cut back on hatchery spending by geting a biger return per dollar spent by funding white springs - did anybody wonder where the money was coming from , well I'll tell you they cut it in STEALHEAD  programs and coho production ..... lets fast forward to present day They produce 250 000 coho smolts but only cut 30 0000 now lets assume 2% return ....you do the math yet we are paying for those fish   so how do they try to keep us happy with less availible coho and stealhead .... they open chums and pinks and sockey to rention PATHETIC and who do we blame only ourselves because I see alot of people fishing and lurking on the internet but no one fighting for there rights ...... RIGHTS we pay for in the form of fishing licences rights we pay for in the form of various taxes  rights we have as CANADIANS fishermen need to realize if you think these great fisheries we have are so good then you should have seen them 20 years ago only blame ourselves for excepting and keeping quite ... We need to group together and stop this be heard let the powers know that the buck stops here before there are NO more STEALHEAD LEFT TO CATCH  like the great job the ministry has done on the Thompson ( as far as I am concerned they commited treason against every fishermen out there  WHAT A BIG LET DOWN BY NOT ONLY OUR PROVINCE BUT ALL THE INDIVIDUALS WE HELPED PUT IN POWER  liars thats all I have to say GReen party from now on ! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »

Quoted from another site:

To: Ministry of Environment

As a long time Steelhead angler and sportfishing guide in Southwest BC I have one question:
Are you guys insane?
It's obvious that you have ZERO integrity and morality. You tell the world that we will have the "Best managed fishery in North America bar none" and you are accomplishing the opposite. Fisheries management in almost EVERY USA state is by far way better than BC has been in decades. Bar None!
your kind does not deserve to be in office or for that matter- on this side of jail bars.

The is the way I see it: I am charged a substantial fee to fish for Steelhead. My clients pay a grossly overpriced fee to fish for Steelhead($63 for 1 day permit). None of this money goes into the resource according to your own ministry.
This would mean that I and anyone should have the legal right to fish for Steelhead without purchasing the Steelhead conservation surcharge since ZERO dollars is being spent on conservation, but instead you are spending my and our $$ on destroying OUR Steelhead and their habitat. I and other Steelhead anglers are spending plenty of time and OUR $ to fight against you to protect what you are legally mandated to do but you don't do it.
I would call on ALL sportfishing guides and tackle shops in region 2 to STOP the sale and purchase of Steelhead tags.
Or we can just take it up the my friend that much more. Enough is enough.
Do we have any pledgers??
count me in.

please feel free to forward this email and feel free to contact me anytime at email@bcfishing-guide.com

--
<°)}}}}»<
Brian McKinlay, owner and head guide
Professionalism, Knowledge, Results.
Silversides Fishing Adventures - Salmon, Sturgeon, Steelhead and
Trout
Vancouver and Mission, British Columbia.
(1)604-864-5445 mobile
www.bcfishing-guide.com

Hmmmmm....:o

tuna

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

Absolutely I will no longer purchase any stealhead tags anymore or salmontags infact I have already started to liquidate all my sage rods and all reels related to river fishing I AM DONE SIR..... from now on I will spend my money where I have somewhat of a measly return but most importantly where I can fish in peace , thats right the salt chiuck boys.. you see there are no stealhead to worry about and by the time the dfo knows a particular run is in trouble and shuts it down I have already enjoyed the fruits of my labour  I spend far to much money on this sport and I have done more than my share of volunteer work but for what they (the powers that run this circus make up their own agenda anyway ) they will run it into the ground just like the clowns they are . I can say that I have truly awsome memories ...days of 20 plus stealhead on the cheakamus 20plus days on the vedder ,days on the thompson that I thought I had died and gone to heaven, but now those days are only great memories of once truly incredible fisheries THANK GOD I WAS NOT MANAGING THOSE FISHERIES what a f$^*ng blunder and this all in a mere 15 years  and yet the moe still wants to cut back .... cut what there is nothing left to cut back >:( >:( >:( they are truly cluelesss ??? ??? ??? ???

tuna

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

sorry for this rant but for me it has hit the final breaking point  they will no longer see my money not even freshwater license!!!!!!! :(

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »

tuna, which river's production are you refering to?

tuna

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »

well where should we start, lets start with the seymour then the capilano then maybe move on to the gold the englishman the campbel the quinsam the allouette and even the chehalis and vedders budgets have all been cut and some of them even shut down .... oh lets not forget what they have done with the cheakamus that one is just plane criminal there was at one time mauxillary clipped hatchery stealhead in the cheakamus why oh why did they stop I could often count on going to that river and almost always catch at least 1 steely now 14 trips this past year and 1 fish to show.,...... now lets look at what they have done to the couquihalla the thompson ..... just all plane miss management and reckless tactics on there part but oh wait the did post a boundry sighn at the stave to protect a few chum RIGHT ON good one one of our most cherished fish the thompson stealhead will be gone soon due to you guessed it a bloody chum fisherie on the fraser but they did post a boundry sign on the stave just does not make sense anymore and for those of you who question me I have first hand counts from swims on these rivers and dfo biologist who is currentlt doing stealhead counts for the thompson  just plane criminal if I did my job for 15 years like dfo moe have missmanaged these rivers I would not only be fired I would probably be draged through civil court and been sued for mismanaging a company , but alas our gouverment would never do this because it goes against there inevitable plans of damming these rivers in the future and yes it will happen ( bottom line is cheap green electricity because that is what our growing world population needs )  :( but sit by 15 more years willgo by and then (if I am still alive) I will be reading how the pinks and chum are late and coho will be gone along with allred springs  and sockey will be something we only see on you tube  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:17:24 AM »

You mentioned 250 000 coho smolts.  I'm wondering which river system you are refering to.  For different river system that number can mean very different.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 07:24:02 AM »

I think what this means is that they have decided that the hatcheries are history.
They will probably flat out implement fishing bans in a lot of places.
That's my hunch.
In the US, it's already being proposed.

tuna

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 08:32:04 AM »

You mentioned 250 000 coho smolts.  I'm wondering which river system you are refering to.  For different river system that number can mean very different.
does not matter the point being those are the ratios being clipped between 12% up as high as 20%  mostly by volunteers  so it is impossible to know the exact figure but lets just say they have 20% of fry to begin with and what ever gets clipped thats it the whole point is we are paying for 100% of the hatchery production so we should get it also we are paying for a stealhead tag we should get  stealhead \ augmuntation to all close to city rivers that can not sustain angling preassure for them ...final otherwise scrap the salmon tag and stealhead tag and close retention down for us as well as commercials and watch how quickly the runs come back max 12 years and there will be coho and stealhead in abundance oh  and start to regulate quotas for fn's they seem to be above the law also stop wasting money on helicopter surveys of fisherman at a cost of $1200 per hour x 5 days
straight thats aprox $50 000 for what to see the vedder is crowded come on stop the waste and up production quotas  :( sdtart MANAGING THE FISHERIE  put the %$%% politics aside cut thruogh the red tape before it is to late ( I'm not holding my breath anymore , thats proven futile) >:(