Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mike Lake, May 18th 2009  (Read 732 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Mike Lake, May 18th 2009
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:48 AM »

Well my 7 year old son and I decided to spend a few hours up at the lake in the afternoon as he wanted to get some trout for dinner. We got to our favorite little spot and I rigged him up with a float and put a small piece of shrimp on the hook and cast it out for him. Told him he better keep an eye on the float and I turned around to get my rod set up. By the time I got my float on I turned to look at the lake and asked my son where his float was as it was gone. He reeled up and set the hook and he landed his first fish. He grabbed the fish I unhooked it and in the bag it went. I rebaited for him and he casted out and I resumed setting my rod up. This time I got the swivel and weight on and he is once again reeling in a fish. So now he has 2 in the bag and I have none  ;D . So he once again casted out and I finally get my hook on and baited but before I cast he once again sets the hook on another fish but this time he looses it at the beach. I get him rigged up again he casts out and then I finally get to get a line wet but on this day the fish gods where not on my side. I hand him my rod as it has been out there for a good 5min with nothing and I need to reel his in to get it around some weeds and would you not know it, within 15 seconds of me handing him my rod he sets the hook on another fish and this time he lands it. So this is now 3 in the bag and 1 lost at shore for him and still 0 for me. We stay for anther 45 min with me still not getting a thing and my son getting one more which was lost in the weeds. Never thought this day would come so soon, me getting out fished by my 7 year old. I guess I better stick to fly fishing.  It was definatly a great day as he was so happy to be able to bring home fish for dinner and it was definatly a proud momment for me.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

capman

Re: Mike Lake, May 18th 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

Good for him. almost the same thing happend to me and my 6 year old dauther last year on one of the lake in Squamish. She still is giving me a hard time. :D