Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cuthroat fishing Sooke to Port Renfrew  (Read 2769 times)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Cuthroat fishing Sooke to Port Renfrew
« on: June 02, 2005, 10:00:07 PM »

We are heading up to sooke at the beginning of august.  We will be fishing out of sooke and at the swiftsure banks for salmon and groundfish.  On our drive up, we go over numerous creeks.  Does anybody have any knowledge of creek mouth or beach fishing for cutthroat around there?  Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks.
I like ROE

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
Re: Cuthroat fishing Sooke to Port Renfrew
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 10:27:13 PM »

The information I have is second hand so I can't say how complete it is.  I got it after I asked a similar question on another board. The best Cuththroat fishing is at the San Juan although the best time is right about now.  I doon't know how good it will be when you get there.  As far as the creeks along the way it most likely will be a case of stop, hunt and move on.  Like most beach cutthroat fishing if you can't see them they aren't around.  Good Luck.
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 09:39:12 AM »

The work/logistics and rewards of saltwater fishing are so great the chances of your having any extra time to pursue those puny critters is slight.
In any case you timing is all wrong as mentioned.
Most creeks will be too low/warm-Cutts will be feeding here and there-moving fast as always in the salt-it's 100% hit 'n miss.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 11:15:53 PM »

Like most beach cutthroat fishing if you can't see them they aren't around.  Good Luck.

True, sea runs do show themselves readily and visible fish are always a good sign for unfamiliar waters. Having said that, I've caught many cutthroat on my home beach before I even spot a jumper. This beach consistenly produces fish and I've fished it for so long I know that the fish are there even if I can't see them jumping at first.

Some anglers might conclude after a 5 or 10 minute cursory survey that the water is empty of cutts. Not so. That might be a fair conclusion after an hour of so of watching, but still always worth a cast or two.   

An interesting thing about sea runs is that the jumpers are aggressive and catchable. On many occasions I've put my lure just feet from, or even within, the rings where the fish splashed down and hooked the fish immediately. This is such a truism for me that I'll even walk down the beach to stalk a jumper or quickly retrieve a cast to rifle a quick one in his direction. So if you are scouting a beach and see a cutt jump, cast to him as quick as you can while you still know where he is. You just might surprise him first and yourself second.