Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis oct 23.05  (Read 1743 times)

Addicted To Steel

chehalis oct 23.05
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:37:51 AM »

Decided to take the kids and the wife out to Chehalis to have a poke around today. Got there at around 1:30pm or so. My girls wanted to check out the hatchery holding pens first. I have a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 30 something cougar ;D.LOL.  Anyway, lots of big springs in the hatchery. Some in the 30's. Some chum, and pinks as well, not too many Coho.
The water was very low, considering we've had some rain over the past week.
As most of you know, the river is almost all going through the tree's to the reserve. I couldn't believe people are actually fishing the trickle at the hatchery :P, trying to get the odd chum, which you could just walk over and pick up if you wanted.LOL.

So we decided to check out the Pump House to see if there were any Coho kicking around there. Nothing. Lots of Chum, the odd Spring sitting below, and still quite a few Pinks in the shallows. I talked with a fellow who had been there for a few hours, and hadn't seen any Coho.

Of course, as I knew, I would be witnessing some horrible fishing ethics, there was a group of guys snagging and keeping boot Chum on the other side of the river >:( They were purposely reeling in big spoons across the fishes backs, then cranking them up on the sand, and killing them. Un-real. How desperate are some people?!

I didn't want to make a stink, having my children there. I was hoping someone from the other side would say something, but nobody did.

Before we left, a couple of guys came down from Blood Rock with their boat, and it looked as though even they did not leave with any fish.

It started raining pretty good, so it was time to go. :'(

On the way out we stopped at the golf course restaraunt to have some hot chocolate, coffee, and some grub.MMMMMMM COCO!

Good to get out though, and my 5 yr old daughter can use a centerpin pretty good now!!Not the casting, but the drift,reeling, and hook set she's got down pretty good. She'll be out fishing me in no time!LOL.

By the way, the boys at the Hatchery informed me that the Natives applied for a $60,000.00 government grant to divert the river back the way it was?? Turns out they are happy they are getting a lot of fish over there, but now they are getting worried because the river is eating away they're land.

My friend and I took a tour through the land where the river is running through last year, and we came across one spot where it was only about 100 yards away from going right into their cemetery. :o

Hope they fix that water situation soon, and I hope it actually works this time!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 12:42:01 AM by Addicted To Steel »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: chehalis oct 23.05
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:38:11 AM »

too bad about fishing ! But its a good thing the little ones saw some fish!
weeeeeeeeeow!

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis oct 23.05
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 01:26:26 PM »

what a bunch of losers those snaggers are.

Nice that you had a good weekend with the wife and kids :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:29:39 PM by Rodney »