Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct 12, 13th First time  (Read 3122 times)

Abu

Vedder Oct 12, 13th First time
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:19 PM »

I've been Reading about all the hype about fishing the vedder river in chilliwack and how great it is and isn't (Crowds) I have never fished the vedder and have always wanted too...A friend from work took me out yesterday and today. So I'll start out with yesterday we got to the river at 1100hrs and fished with red wool in some deep channels with a float managed to accidently hook a pink in it's back, I retrieved and released it... it was still in ok shape. huge hump though.
We later moved up stream to slower moving water was getting kind of scary with the rain and all. I hook in to my first Chum (Dog) salmon it was very excitng...Untill i landed it and realized that i had to take the hook out it's mouth. I know now why they call them dog salmon.. those are huge teeth... they should call them vampire salmon. Back to the report. fish was released. My buddy got a chum and kept it...was still in pretty good condition.
Today on the river it was not crowded and the weather was nice,  no rain, you could see the river had risen and the flow was a little faster but didn.t stop us from fishing. As we started to wade in a gentleman had beside him a 40 plus RED spring...made us wanna get in the water quicker. first hour nothing but a fellow beside us had caught and landed a nice shiny hatchery COHO. Soon after that i saw my float go under, set the hook and s#$! snag, WRONG! FISH ON! its a spring apparently as my buddy tells me so i get him in close right away and think well that was easy Wrong again he takes off down the river. after about five mins my arm  is burning... start to walk to shore as i'm told to do while my line is still peeling off. Ended up not landing the fish, but he didn't break me off either The bastard Straightened my hook. It was still one of my best fishing experiences ever. I sturgeon fish a lot and have landed 6 footers and have always wondered about the hype of a big spring if it fights harder pound for pound and now i finally know the answer first hand. later in the day landed a chum and release it. A fellow told me i could be fined if i shore a fish and decide not to keep it. I didn't realize that. It's pretty difficult to do it in the the water. Well Now i know won't happen again. Rules are Rules. There was alot of action for other anglers one guy had 3 springs on in a matter of 1 hour and landed one. saw alot of guys lose their  springs. DIdn't see very much Coho action. All in all it was a great day of fishing. I will be back there at least one more time this year.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Vedder Oct 12, 13th First time
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »

v
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:14:11 AM by dennisK »

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 09:25:34 PM »

o yah vampires .. sounds eary i didnt no that you could be fnined for beaching a fish and not keeping it thanx for the report
crab cakes

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 02:51:34 PM »

if you read the reports on this site...how could you not know it is innapropriate to beach a fish if you are going to release it....to me it just seems like common sense...

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »

well when your new at fishing .. you dont know .. dont be sly
crab cakes

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »

just like any other sport you decide to try... you should do some research before you start especially if the life cycle of a fish depends on it......  you have to be a very stupid person if you think that dragging a fish onto the beach...in turn removing scales and its protective slime..is not going to affect it....  as I said before basic common sense.....

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Abu

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:23:27 PM »

It was my first time Fishing there...first time using waders and first time float fishing, I Read my Regs and never came across a rule about beaching a fish and releasing it. But like i said in my report, it will never happen again. I LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES. I went to berry's today and Nikka and asked about that reg and they have never heard of it. But I'll Make sure to use my common sense next time.

Abu

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »

THICKrick, "Stupid" is a strong word...I guess you forgot what it was like to be new at something. I don't appreciate insults. Thanks for your concern. Well noted.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 05:40:36 PM »

never heard of that rule either............either way try to keep the fish in the water as much as possible while removing the hook. very good for your first time abu.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 05:47:11 PM »

Dont worry abu this forum has it fair share of overeactors and trouble makers. :P No one should be flamed on by breaking a rule they didnt know about and specialy their first time.
[

Abu

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »

Thank you Redtide, I had a lot of fun out there. I know now for next time what to do.

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 07:39:59 PM »

Congratulations! wading is pretty cool, huh? :D

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »

i agree
crab cakes

Buckwyld

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 08:38:39 PM »

Abu, we will go fish again and hopefully catch one of those "tunafish" that you lost because of the straightened Laser hook!  :P And oh, we will also practice proper catch and release. ;)

Abu

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 12:56:12 AM »

Younging, Wading is a whole new experience for me...and yah it was pretty cool....scary at first, but loved it once i got used to it.
Buckwyld, I'm in anytime you wanna go...really want to land one of those "freight Trains" ;D