Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skagit, July 18  (Read 2180 times)

Acute Angler

Skagit, July 18
« on: July 19, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

I finally got to fish the Skagit this year after a 2+ hour drive and a 45 minute hike north from the 26 mile bridge.  We did get into a few, but the fishing probably would have been better closer to Ross lake.  Its just always tempting to try and find a new secluded pool.

For those going, bring the bug dope as usual, expect to walk a lot (the fish tend to hole up in the sweet spots which you have to find), and have a back-up plan, as there is a pretty good fire burning near the road which could turn into a problem.
Second to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

flyguy44

• who's a lama
Re:Skagit, July 18
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 09:14:01 PM »

I have been waiting for this report. do you recommend the trip. apreciate your response. :)
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Acute Angler

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:26:57 PM »

I do recommend the trip, but unless you live up the valley aways, fishing that river is an all-day affair.

That fire should be long gone if the rain (that started within minutes of posting) hits the Hope area.  

The water was ideal.  Some bugs around but not a major hatch - but that didn't seem to matter.  If you can find the fish they seemed to take the dry fly right away.  The best part was that we only saw two others on the river all day.

Fly Guy

• Betty The Bruiser
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 09:12:13 AM »

What flys were you using?

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:18:19 AM »

I finally got to fish the Skagit this year after a 2+ hour drive and a 45 minute hike north from the 26 mile bridge.  We did get into a few, but the fishing probably would have been better closer to Ross lake.  Its just always tempting to try and find a new secluded pool.

For those going, bring the bug dope as usual, expect to walk a lot (the fish tend to hole up in the sweet spots which you have to find), and have a back-up plan, as there is a pretty good fire burning near the road which could turn into a problem.

Acute, I was looking at the map of Skagit Park, and talked to someone also, and she told me that there are many parking lots close to the river.  Why the 45 minute hike?

On a different note, appreciate if you would expand as much as possible on your experience.  It helps folks (me) make a 6 hour round-trip decision.   :D :D

Acute Angler

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 04:23:08 PM »

The hike is not essential, but we wanted to return to a secluded location that we had fished last year.  There is a trail just past the bridge that follows the river upstream all the way to the Sumallo river in Manning park, but most people fish downstream from the bridge where there are many parking spots close to the water.

Try big stonefly nymphs sub-surface and an adams on top.