Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, October 10th 2013  (Read 2375 times)

66TWH

Tidal Fraser River, October 10th 2013
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g370/northwind12/Katzie2-20131010-00159.jpg

Only had an hour tonight after 5 to hit the spot. Wind was a bit annoying upon arrival but calmed closer to six and then could see a few fish showing themsleves still, as has been the case all this week so far.
Have another hatch coho for myself and my freind had a couple jacks and a larger coho that did not want to stay on the hook. Good times for a little bit of effort late on the day. Fish everyday so far and not bad for a close drive in a small area in such a large body of water.       

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 10th 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »

Very nice. As I mentioned in the email, all I keep getting are wild fish, but cannot complain as they have been all big and put up a fantastic fight.

Today Nina brought in the big one, while I couldn't find a tap at the end of the rod.

We also saw a couple of hatchery fish retained, as well as a few jacks. There were less signs of fish on the surface, but there were definitely enough fish around to keep all satisfied.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »

Nice fish - chromers!

ICA

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »

Not trying to get a spot but trying to understand the term "Mid-Fraser" as to approximately what section would constitute this. I fish from Langley to Glen Valley; would that be considered mid-section?

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »

The OP picture name might provide a clue ;)

66TWH

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »

I did mess up somehow on the picture post but it is a clue as to general mid river location.
I do try and leave a bit of info in posts / pics to help without being obvious to where I fish.  I take photos with lures as a generel guide. There are a lot of spots with a lot of room if you look. Some better that others.
Tonight was a bit weird. Water had a lot of color for some reason and moving a little quicker. Still some fish showing but not as much as previous nights. I will have to check a slack tide over weekend with a bit more flexibility in my fishing time.
Got two cutthroat and a jack and friend only had one chance at larger coho but it made a spectacular 50 yard surface run before turning and throwing the hook.

Suther

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Not trying to get a spot but trying to understand the term "Mid-Fraser" as to approximately what section would constitute this. I fish from Langley to Glen Valley; would that be considered mid-section?

I guess that depends on whether we are talking mid-tidal fraser, or just mid-fraser. In my opinion I would categorize  Mid-tidal fraser as probably New West/Coquitlam/Surrey, with everything west of that (Richmond Delta ect) would be lower, and Abby/Mission/Langley/Maple Ridge would be upper. Of course, there is no standardized naming scheme or anything.

If we're talking about the whole river, then the entire Tidal portion probably counts as Lower Fraser, while Mid would run to... Hope or even Yale sorta thing? Its a big river, gets hard to break into only 3 distinct sections.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »

I've changed the title of the report to avoid any confusion. From Hope to the mouth of the Fraser River, it is considered as the Lower Fraser River, where it is further divided into the tidal and non-tidal portions. The mid Fraser River is further upstream above Hope, through the Canyon and the Thompson-Nicola Region. The remaining section above this is considered as the Upper Fraser River.

Water clarity has indeed gradually degraded in the past couple of days but it is still good enough for spincasting. The degradation is most likely due to rain up north, which is not unusual for this time of the year. Fishing was slow for us yesterday, with very few fish showing themselves on the surface. We only observed one large wild coho salmon being caught and released in three hours.

Robert_G

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »

Rod...you're confused....or perhaps you're getting your info from somewhere off the record.

It is considered the 'Lower Fraser' all the way up to Lytton.
The 'Middle Fraser' goes from Lytton up to somewhere near Hixon which is between Prince George and Quesnel.
Above Hixon the 'Upper Fraser' goes off on a NW path and also West through the Nechako watershed....and also East and South East past Mcbride bordering Jasper national park.

That is straight from the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. I would be interested to know where you got your borders from.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »

You're right. I was just generalizing a bit.