Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, October 28th 2011  (Read 3625 times)

66TWH

Tidal Fraser River, October 28th 2011
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »

My little piece of heaven is still producing. Arrived today Fri. - a bit early around 3:30. Raining pretty good but nothing a few fish can't make you forget about it. Pulled 3 out within 20 minutes holding in one area. Worked it till dark using a blade with a red bead and they loved it. I ended up with 5 / 4 - 8lbs and one bigger surprise ......about a 10lb buck which was a great fight on the little 7' spin rod. Two jacks came along towards the end. My nephew came a bit later and still managed 3 larger coho and 1 jack. He was losing quite a few so just updated the hook size up to # 4 from #6 and had no problem after that. He was still working the small spinner in my other post that has orange beads. I have not had to experiment to much but i don't think it matters too much as long as it spins but we have stuck to silver or chrome blades in this water.     

Since I got called out on not posting pictures, I decided to make effort to get a few more so I don't get chastised for not having proof. I got pics of the first three until the blackberry shut down from getting some rain on it. Have not been able to get it fired up yet but i will post the pics when i do and have a different camera with me tomorrow.

Am curious to know how successful the bar fisherman are doing with roe since there are still this many fish around the mid river area. I have not bothered because i have my system here that is working.                     

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, October 28th 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »

Don't let anyone push you into posting pictures
if they don't believe your post then thats up to them
nice to hear someone doing well out there and thank you for sharing

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »

if you get phone wet.  remove battery let it dry a few days (2~3) them put battery back then turn power on.

Knife

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »

Great to hear that you are still catching fish. I think the poor day I had on Thursday was due to fishing the wrong tide. Where I've been it seems best an hour after the tide has has started to come up, so I'll have to wait for for a favorable tide before going back. I'm guessing I am quite a bit further up the river from where you fish. I think next week I will try the fly rod further up in the non-tidal fraser if the water stays clear.   
 Thanks for the report. Don't worry about having to prove yourself by including pictures.

66TWH

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »

Its ok ..... I don't mind throwing a few in here to show what is still coming up the Fraser. The blackberry has "issues" and although it wasn't dumped in the water - it still would not fire after a few raindrops and numerous attempts at drying out. Anyways got a new one and the files were backed up and saved for Fridays pics. These are a few from Fri and Sat.
Saturdays report is still great. Pulled up just after 3 to have a little more time to possibly experiment with some other things but the water was a bit different color from the previous days heavy rain and alot of leaves and crap floating around making a clean retrieve a bit of a struggle. Once the tide changed it helped. I did not do as well as I did on Friday with the red beaded blade and was a bit optimistic about maybe a slow down in fish but my nephew arrived and put an end to that theory. Could not go wrong with the orange beaded spinner !!  He was popping fish all over for the two hrs before dusk. 5 coho from 6 - 8lbs  one 10lb approx and two jacks landed plus strikes and some lost fish . I ended up with 1 - 6lb and two jacks with a couple lost opportunities. 
Majority are all still chromers but there have only been about 4 this past week with any colour. Uncle Buck came to my line Friday as previously posted and in the image attached. And after a large amount of fish this month in this location ....... i finally received a hatchery jack on Saturday. I have not idea why this spot has drawn out only wild fish but i really don't care .....it has been a whole lot of fun for a short drive and a couple hrs a day.
I am going to head out shortly and see if this will continue tonight.                   

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »

Awesome man!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

FYI - Blackberry's are very easily corrupted from moisture - mine got it in a tent on a wet weekend (no rain, just wet out).  a few raindrops on a blackberry is enough to stop it, so either leave at home or bag it up!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

nice hoes, think you could get a pic of the blade if you dont mind. and that coloured bucks a hog what do you figured it weighed? :o
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:27:18 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »

Very nice. Do you think some of these fish are dropping back downstream from nearby tributaries when the tide is going out?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »

Are you blind steelie slayer? He is using silver coloradoes and other spinners, I dont see any spoons. Funny that a master fisherman like yourself would ask such silly questions

;) :D ;D

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »

Are you blind steelie slayer? He is using silver coloradoes and other spinners, I dont see any spoons. Funny that a master fisherman like yourself would ask such silly questions
i was trying to see how the bead was on... i think anybody can see its a silver colarado, and call it what you like but blades spoons and spinners are all basiclly the same.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

Good luck attaching a spoon to a clevis!

66TWH

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »

Very nice. Do you think some of these fish are dropping back downstream from nearby tributaries when the tide is going out?

Hmmmmm ......without being too specific again Rod - this spot seems to maybe go against normal premise whereas a flood tide would bring fish "in".  I have figured that hitting right at end of the low tide and slack has been money here.
I will call this spot Tim Hortons ............ they are coming in for a coffee and a donut much the same as us fisherman do on route to where ever there native steam is.
The closect Trib upstream is Stave but these are all wild fish so haven't figured out where or why such an abundance this year for the entire month of October.  I like it and dont argure with myself too much but its always a trivial thought.

Sundays report was not up to previous standards. We knew we were pushing to tide and it would have been well after dark before low would hit. The water color did play a factor as the previous days rain made it murky along with overcast sky that did not help bring a good flash to the spinners and blades. I only managed one 4 lb and my nephew did a bit better with 3 - around 6 lb range. Zero jacks and all the fish were bright. 
The tide is now first thing in morning now so i will not be able to report on what is yet to come up the fraser given my schedule. I may try Wed. if no other obligations disrupt my morning just to see if this will continue a little while longer.         

66TWH

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 11:07:01 AM »

Steellieslayer - sorry forgot to reply on est weight on the buck. That image in the water makes it look like a whale but it was around the 10 lb range only.   

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »

nice fish 66twh. those cohos are in great shape. i will need to try the silver hammered blade more often. as for taking pictures with a blackberry....i have one as well and battery problems are common with them. pictures are not that great either from blackberry's. got fed up with low battery on these phones and switched to sony ericcson......better pictures and way longer battery life.