Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder wonder - Nov 3rd!  (Read 4686 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Vedder wonder - Nov 3rd!
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:28:58 PM »

Well after losing 3 of my favourite lures last week to the spawning warrior dogs in the Vedder, I decided to switch to a stronger line this week and give that a shot. I’ve been fishing with 12 lb test and it feels sometimes that I can’t use any muscle when I’ve got a chum on and I’d like to have my lure back. I did land one 20lb chum after a 2-hour fight on 12 lb test, but 2 hours of prime fishing time was lost.
So I got up this morning bright and early, 5 am (lunacy according to my good friend CohoOn), and the weather sucked just like the weatherman said. I decided to head out anyway. After a crazy week at work I had my mind set on this one day of fishing to relax.
I got to the Vedder around 7 and it was still pitch black and foggy so I just put my waders on and sat down to listen to the sounds of the river passing by. I saw some guys parking their truck on the way there so I figured I’m not the only owl on the prowl.
The river was pretty low and it wasn’t too cold so I figured it wasn’t going to be too bad at all. Usually when the river is low I can get into my spots easier.
After half an hour of trying my first spot there was nothing there. I kind of felt a bite but as the daylight came I realized those couple of bites were really rocks on the bottom.
I moved on to the #2 spot and my lure didn’t even hit the water yet and boom!
Fish on!
It felt small so I thought it must be a coho and it was. A 5 lb hatchery.
After a brief fight and a couple of more casts into the same pool I decided I was going to move on. This was it for this pool.
I snuck up on my next spot after being freaked out by spawning Klingons in the shallows and one cast, two casts, three casts, boom! Fish on!  I could see my lure maybe 10 feet away from me and then suddenly it disappeared. I thought it hit the bottom but no, it was gulped by a 6-7 lb wild coho. So after a short tug of war I land and release it. After that I get a chum and sure enough it felt much better to have a heavier line so I can land it fast with my lure still attached to my line. I moved on to the next spot and saw a bunch of chums rising and figured that couldn’t be good. But I cast and I cast and boom! Fish on again. It turns out to be a hatchery coho about 7 lbs. Ok I like that. Then I catch one small trout barely bigger than my hook sharpener. You know, 3 inches.
So back and forth between 3 spots and at one point I felt no bites so I chatted with nice couple fishing at one of the spots. Turns out we are from the same country, small world.
I like the times when the bite is off; you get to meet other fishermen. Otherwise everyone is just preoccupied with fishing.
Spent another hour at this place and caught 1 chum and lost 1 coho.
Well by now, I’m frozen, I’m hungry and I’m wet so I decide to hit the road. I have few more spots on the way to the car anyway. On the way back I get another one at the same spot where I caught the first one. First cast, fish on! Kind of predictable and boring  ;).
Well the summary of the day would be 3 coho and all my lures are still in my possession. Me happy !!  ;D ;D
Today’s recipe was the #4 silver Blue Fox.
I’m pretty happy with my first salmon season thanks to good folks like CohoOn,
jetboatjim and, of course, fishingwithrod.com.
I’ve got no room in the freezer and I ran out of Food Saver bags. Bummer!  ;)

Next challenge, steelhead.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:34:36 PM by adriaticum »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Vedder wonder - Nov 3rd!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:39:58 PM »

Good job, we'll have to get out for some steel.

I did get out there with porkchop today we started in the bottom with very little happening. so we moved up to tamahi, to fish some roe in the pocket water,I did manage 1 wild  and 1 hatch fish at the boulder hole but all in all not much happening up there.

Nice to see you had a good season up there.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »

Nothing but C H U M for me today :( :( :( :(

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 06:51:24 PM »

Well after losing 3 of my favourite lures last week to the spawning warrior dogs in the Vedder, I decided to switch to a stronger line this week and give that a shot. I’ve been fishing with 12 lb test and it feels sometimes that I can’t use any muscle when I’ve got a chum on and I’d like to have my lure back. I did land one 20lb chum after a 2-hour fight on 12 lb test, but 2 hours of prime fishing time was lost.
So I got up this morning bright and early, 5 am (lunacy according to my good friend CohoOn), and the weather sucked just like the weatherman said. I decided to head out anyway. After a crazy week at work I had my mind set on this one day of fishing to relax.
I got to the Vedder around 7 and it was still pitch black and foggy so I just put my waders on and sat down to listen to the sounds of the river passing by. I saw some guys parking their truck on the way there so I figured I’m not the only owl on the prowl.
The river was pretty low and it wasn’t too cold so I figured it wasn’t going to be too bad at all. Usually when the river is low I can get into my spots easier.
After half an hour of trying my first spot there was nothing there. I kind of felt a bite but as the daylight came I realized those couple of bites were really rocks on the bottom.
I moved on to the #2 spot and my lure didn’t even hit the water yet and boom!
Fish on!
It felt small so I thought it must be a coho and it was. A 5 lb hatchery.
After a brief fight and a couple of more casts into the same pool I decided I was going to move on. This was it for this pool.
I snuck up on my next spot after being freaked out by spawning Klingons in the shallows and one cast, two casts, three casts, boom! Fish on!  I could see my lure maybe 10 feet away from me and then suddenly it disappeared. I thought it hit the bottom but no, it was gulped by a 6-7 lb wild coho. So after a short tug of war I land and release it. After that I get a chum and sure enough it felt much better to have a heavier line so I can land it fast with my lure still attached to my line. I moved on to the next spot and saw a bunch of chums rising and figured that couldn’t be good. But I cast and I cast and boom! Fish on again. It turns out to be a hatchery coho about 7 lbs. Ok I like that. Then I catch one small trout barely bigger than my hook sharpener. You know, 3 inches.
So back and forth between 3 spots and at one point I felt no bites so I chatted with nice couple fishing at one of the spots. Turns out we are from the same country, small world.
I like the times when the bite is off; you get to meet other fishermen. Otherwise everyone is just preoccupied with fishing.
Spent another hour at this place and caught 1 chum and lost 1 coho.
Well by now, I’m frozen, I’m hungry and I’m wet so I decide to hit the road. I have few more spots on the way to the car anyway. On the way back I get another one at the same spot where I caught the first one. First cast, fish on! Kind of predictable and boring  ;).
Well the summary of the day would be 3 coho and all my lures are still in my possession. Me happy !!  ;D ;D
Today’s recipe was the #4 silver Blue Fox.
I’m pretty happy with my first salmon season thanks to good folks like CohoOn,
jetboatjim and, of course, fishingwithrod.com.
I’ve got no room in the freezer and I ran out of Food Saver bags. Bummer!  ;)

Next challenge, steelhead.

A 2hr fight on a chum!!! wow...I would have busted it off after 2 mins...Btw nice fish!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »

adriaticum, nice fish :) ...i'm still trying to catch my 1st coho  :( , are you fishing in the lower vedder or mid?

Thanks

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:20:15 PM »

I thought that was a typo. 2 hours!!!!!!

stlhd4ever

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »

I managed to land a 50+ white with 12 lb main and 10 lb leader a few years back and that didn't even take half an hour ???
Wishin I was Fishin

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »

lets not get sidetracked, I'm sure there is some sarcasam in there ;D..................... it's an awsome post

stlhd4ever

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:00:04 PM »

That it is. Not trying to start anything here. You don't get too many posts like that one. ;D
Wishin I was Fishin

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:14:42 PM »

beauty fish , that spinner works wonders  anything big and sivler/nickled plated is the ticket to coho

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »

Good job Adriaticum  ;)

You too Jim, I was thinking about the boulders, but fished some other spots today  :P

I found a few cohos, but have been plagued with landing them all season. I did manage to land 3 wild ones out of the bunch I hooked today :-\ My buddy, fishersak, landed 4, 2 wilds and 2 hatch's  8)

For those who need to know where I was fishing ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »

Good job Adriaticum  ;)

You too Jim, I was thinking about the boulders, but fished some other spots today  :P

I found a few cohos, but have been plagued with landing them all season. I did manage to land 3 wild ones out of the bunch I hooked today :-\ My buddy, fishersak, landed 4, 2 wilds and 2 hatch's  8)

For those who need to know where I was fishing ;D

Glad your partner finally landed some. ;D ;D ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Thanks for giving away my spot there CM!!!
I took you to that special meat hole trusting you wouldn't tell a soul....
I was planning on hitting that EXACT spot at first light, but thanks to you I will have to stand in line to fish there!!
BEEK!!

Shane

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »

That's not your spot... It says "hot coho spot" beside it. Your spot is "hot chum spot" based on last time's performance. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice bag of freshies adriaticum. The tail end of the season is quite pleasant isn't it? Less people, fish are required to be found by walking around. Almost like steelheading, except with more fish. ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 11:31:48 PM »

No no no... the "Hot Coho Spot" is my "other" spot not the "Hot Chum Spot" which for whatever reason is your "Hot Coho Spot".  I can take you to both spots on Monday and see if we can spot some Coho in either spot.

Shane