Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which line for Centerpin?  (Read 13765 times)

bobby b

Which line for Centerpin?
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »

Which line do you prefer for your Centerpin?

When I bought my cp reel, the shop spooled it up with Trilene XL..... Tried that for a while but did not like at all...  Then I got it re-spooled with 15 lb Maxima Chameleon ... This stiff line took a bit to get used to but I liked it ....however I found when using a 12 lb Ultragreen leader it was breaking before the leader would when I got a snag, breaking above the float at times too so I was losing floats.
I recently switched to 20 lb Chameleon with 15 lb UG leaders and so far so good ... but did have it snap off once already and again it did break above the float !

Is the 15 UG just plain stronger than the 20 Cham. ? Or am I just having some bad luck?

Again, I do like the feel of the Chameleon and I like how it casts too, any thoughts on any other line that you prefer or has anyone experienced the same.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:56:37 AM by bobby b »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Which line for Centerpin?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

20 MAXIMA  but some folks like 15.
20 allows me to up my leader when targeting bigger fish.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »

15lb Maxima Ultragreen and same 12lb leader. Never have issue of main breaking before leader does.

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »

I have always used 15lb Chameleon main with 12lb Ultragreen leader and have never had the main line break.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »

I use 15lb ultra green mainline and 10lb floro leader for steelhead.
I would look at your knots first.
What are you using to peg your float to the line?

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

Knots are good.
I use rubber bobber stoppers.( 2 above and below the float )
 Pretty much exactly the same setup I've always been using for my bait cast setup but with that I use 15 or 20lb ultra green main and 10-12 lb leaders. With that setup I almost never break the main line. I have had both the 15lb and 20lb Chameleon main line break on me a number of times now in just a few outings. 

I have never used Chameleon before and I was thinking the breaks may be due to the line change.... ?  But if others have not experienced the same ...maybe just bad luck?

For weight I usually just use a snap swivel and surgical tubing/pencil lead,  the weight will usually just break off if I get it snagged.

Maybe I will just switch to Ultragreen on the pin....
I am using Chameleon as the guys at Searun told me that the Chameleon is the best line for Centerpin......

We'll see... It's still new so I guess I will keep using it it for now ..... when the rain lets up that is.....doh!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:22:11 PM by bobby b »

fisherforever

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »

Check all of the guides on your rod. Make sure all the inserts are in place and check for broken ones. These broken or cracked guides could be putting small nicks in your mainline causing it to break under pressure.

bobby b

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »

Sure ....but I don't think so and I sure hope not as it is a brand spanking new Sage 3113lb build with quality parts ( 1 month old )  from a very well respected builder.

When I do snag up, I keep the rod dead straight and pull back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:47:34 PM by bobby b »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:50 PM »

I don't think fisherforever was dissing.
He was just pointing  out possible problems.

Some folks go with hiever main line, some don't.
I've used 15 but I don't have two pinrods anymore.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »

If you have small cracks in the guide the line will fray easily rubbing against the cracks. More pressure is added on the line to the cracks when you are casting. Had this happen on a old trophy xl recently, havent fixed it yet.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »

Sure ....but I don't think so and I sure hope not as it is a brand spanking new Sage 3113lb build with quality parts ( 1 month old )  from a very well respected builder.

When I do snag up, I keep the rod dead straight and pull back.
Hey bobby b, let's make sure it's not a guide issue. The guides on your rod are as good as they get, but even spaceships fail  ;)... get some nylon, like a ladies stocking or some roe bag mesh ... roll it into a tube 4-5 " long and small enough to thread through each guide ring.  Run it through the guide insert ... if the mesh hangs up anywhere, there is a problem with the insert, and I will replace it, no charge.

Wool

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 05:11:18 PM »

Babcocks builds maybe, but, not Dave's.
( I have a rod Dave built )
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:12:49 PM by Wool »

fisherforever

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »

Wasn't dissing the rod at all. :) Just offering an idea to check the guides, see lots of broken out there. I should have added to my first post that a quick way to check the guides is to just run a Q Tip through them, the fuzzy ends will catch on imperfections.

bobby b

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 05:42:32 PM »

I don't think fisherforever was dissing.

Neither did I..?!

Hey bobby b, let's make sure it's not a guide issue. The guides on your rod are as good as they get, but even spaceships fail  ;)... get some nylon, like a ladies stocking or some roe bag mesh ... roll it into a tube 4-5 " long and small enough to thread through each guide ring.  Run it through the guide insert ... if the mesh hangs up anywhere, there is a problem with the insert, and I will replace it, no charge.

Will do, I will check when I get home from work and let ya know .....cheers Dave

Drewhill

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »

Your main line shouldn't break before your leader. Do you check your line for nicks before you fish? It could be the float stops as well, they can wear down your line if you're not making them wet before you adjust them.