Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: 2018/19 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 61535 times)

Jk47

Well now the graph has spiked a little. With no rain in the forecast now until Sunday, should make for some good fishin next few days. Good thing...seems some on this forum are a little upset and need to catch a fish!  :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:44:02 AM by Jk47 »

dave c

I used to get bent out of shape when low holed or witnessed questionable etiquette.  I decided awhile ago that i wouldn't let it ruin my day on the river. I still try to educate when i can and if the person i speak to becomes belligerent i walk away and hope that they reconsider their actions.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

A little late to the party here but here is my two cents. Due to the amount of fish getting wieghed in at Fred’s and broadcasted all over social media there is a huge increase in pressure this yr compared to the last couple of yrs.This season in particular I’m am also noticing a big increase in rafts and pontoon boats drifting the river.  On a river with with almost all runs having bank access and on busy days most runs if not all having bank anglers fishing them I wonder if drifting the river is even worth it? The Vedder is not the Cowichan or Stamp where fishing out of a boat is much more productive due to limited bank access.

Jk47

Let me be the first to tell you drifting the river is 100% worth it! Honestly it’s  the only way to get away from the crowds and actually have a chance at a run by yourself.

poper

I agree on that you will find  some nice water to yourself, but Im not a fan of having 3 to 4 guys floating over a run I’m fishing, but I’m not going to yell and scream about it lol,seems to be a bit busyer then normal,I must be in the wrong spots. Been nice out,waters in good shape
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:21:50 AM by poper »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Its warm out, water is in good condition and people are catching fish. Its one of the last steelhead runs left in BC with a reasonable chance to catch a fish. It's one of only a few rivers left where you can bonk a steelhead and be a hero that you are ridding the planet of inferior hatchery fish.  Oh and just happens to be next to one of the most populated areas in BC.  The fact that it still has steelhead in it is somewhat remarkable.

its going to be busy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:00:05 PM by wildmanyeah »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Saw a large wild chrome  steelhead today. Unfortunately it was dead laying in a side channel. I suspect a casualty of poor fish handling skills. Sad to see this. An eagle was in a tree nearby eyeballing an easy meal. I’m hoping the eagle got it so at least it’s not a complete waste.  :'(

BBarley

Saw a large wild chrome  steelhead today. Unfortunately it was dead laying in a side channel. I suspect a casualty of poor fish handling skills. Sad to see this. An eagle was in a tree nearby eyeballing an easy meal. I’m hoping the eagle got it so at least it’s not a complete waste.  :'(

I've always gotten a chuckle out of the lazy eagles that pick up the stale ol' sockeye in the Stellako in the fall, hundreds of km's travelled to have your withered old "ready to spawn" corpse torn apart by some eager eagle looking for breakfast. I used to think of how much of a waste it was, until I realized that everything is in balance and these types of things happened long before we ever existed. We as a species are the ones that aren't in balance.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

I used to get bent out of shape when low holed or witnessed questionable etiquette.  I decided awhile ago that i wouldn't let it ruin my day on the river. I still try to educate when i can and if the person i speak to becomes belligerent i walk away and hope that they reconsider their actions.

if a response could be voted as best of the month - this one should win!

Thanks!

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Felt like spring out there today and the river must be full of fish as I lost one, after it jumped 3 times, I missed it once too the thrill of hooking a steelhead returned to me after very little effort being put into it this days, maybe 3 hours total but being away for 11 days did not help in getting out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Felt like spring out there today and the river must be full of fish as I lost one, after it jumped 3 times, I missed it once too the thrill of hooking a steelhead returned to me after very little effort being put into it this days, maybe 3 hours total but being away for 11 days did not help in getting out.

Tons of fish, even my float went down once today when I popped out there briefly. ;D

bigsnag

• Old Timer

if a response could be voted as best of the month - this one should win!

Thanks!
and good to see you back despite all those bullets
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

they'll never run me out of Dodge! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Wow! Hordes of people on the river this weekend! I thought it was coho season on the Vedder! With the low and clear water conditions most went home empty handed. I did not see a single fish caught in my travels.

bobby b

!
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »

I managed to find an empty spot today mid river 8am ish..   Lost one on the 3rd cast of the day! DANG!!!!

Also hit a few spots in the upper river but... soo many people !!!

Fished the lower / mid river again before calling it a day... caught and released 2 hatch rainbows!  Water was gorgeous today!

My 4th trip out this season.... still no steel to hand.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:48:57 PM by bobby b »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10