Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowichan river steelhead  (Read 2335 times)

awurban@msn.com

Cowichan river steelhead
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »

I moved to the island last winter from the fraser valley. I have been fishing as much as I can out here and its been pretty good. Learning new rivers is always exciting! I started fishing the cowichan recently and in trying to learn more about the river I was reading into the enhanced stocks. The river was enhanced with steelhead and coho up untill a few years ago. They decided to cut the stocking becuase of the cost and studies that showed wild steelhead and coho have a better survival rate. They are know trying to enhance the river with pink salmon. Heres an email I got confirming that they did stop stocking the river with steelhead:

"Hi Adam,

We used to stock Steelhead, and years ago Brown trout, but both of these programs have been cancelled. This will be the last year that we can expect any Steelhead hatchery returns as we last stocked it in 2008."

How do you guys think this will affect the river? I think it will be a negative thing personally because the Chilliwack and Stamp are both enhanced with hatchery steelhead and they have great steelhead fisheries. On the other hand there are other rivers with only wild steelhead that have strong stocks. Last of all how can I and other people help the cowichan river?

*bump*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:44:15 PM by awurban@msn.com »

awurban@msn.com

Re: Cowichan river steelhead
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »

bump