Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The annual Veder Steelhead derby.  (Read 6481 times)

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
The annual Veder Steelhead derby.
« on: December 03, 2004, 03:39:03 AM »

I'm coming home from japan for 8 days and will be able to fish during the annual boxing day derby on the veder. What info do I need to know and how much is it?

How's the outlook for this years run look? Who wants to join myself and maybe one of my friends?

I'm looking forward to saying hi to some of you.

Nigelman ;)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: The annual Veder Steelhead derby.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 04:23:50 AM »

I'v only heard of 5 steelhead so far, they were caught on the bottom end of the river.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 07:15:33 PM »

Would be nice to meet you at the annual steelhead on the 26th fisherkingnigel.

How many from this board are considering entering?

A good cause even though I respect a few anglers on this site do not like derbies.

The profits of the derby go into improving fish habitat on the Chilliwack/Vedder River.

I may enter again this year. Last year was the first time I had entered in a long time and I ended up losing 3, including breaking one off just below the float. :-[ Some of you may have read my tale of whoa on this site about it. :'(

We all must remember to put on fresh line before the steelhead season starts and not using over a year old line that I left on last year.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 07:22:31 PM »

Probably won't be able to make it out,  My wife has other plans for me on boxing day.  But then again, if you offer to take me with you during the derby, I may find a way! ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 07:37:37 PM »

Would be nice to meet you at the annual steelhead on the 26th fisherkingnigel.

Yeah I'd like to meet you Chris.

Chris, do you want some gamakatsu eyeless hooks from Japan ?

I'll be using them with a jensen egg or ghost shrimp. Man I'm going to have no idea where to go with the way the river changes. I'll probably just try around the lickman road area and hike up along the dike area. I used to do very well around that area.

Chris where are you heading to?

Nigelman 8)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 08:07:13 PM »

Sound interesting on the hook offer, thanks

Not sure were I will be fishing that day and as well I have volunteered to help Gwyn with the derby that day so my fishing time will most likely be limited.

Will be scouting things out between now and then as the river has changed with the latest high water conditions.

New runs and holding spots to find which is quite often the case between the coho and new steelhead season. This is part of the challenge, mystic and excitment of finding these beautiful fish.

I can hardly wait. ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 08:21:45 PM »

Just to tell the rest of you not to waste your money signing up for the vedder river steelhead derby. Because im the one whos gonna win it. ;D
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 08:52:11 PM »

Just to tell the rest of you not to waste your money signing up for the vedder river steelhead derby. Because im the one whos gonna win it. ;D
As I will most likley be covering the story for the local paper could you give me the story now how it alll happened so I have plenty of time to write the headline and the story. ;D ;D

I will get the picture of you posing with your 15 pound steelhead and the Ferguson and Furnell trophy at 3 o'clock on the 26th. ;D ;D ;D

See you there and will buy you supper after. ;D

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 08:05:24 AM »

how does the eyeless hook work?

http://www.geocities.com/fisherkingnigel/thumbeyelesshook1.html

http://www.geocities.com/fisherkingnigel/thumbeyeless2.html

Here are some pics of the hook and the basic knot you'd need to know to tie them on. I've been using them for 4 years and they're strong as. I don't break my fish with them and as long you tie them right you'll have success with them. I find they work very well with shrimps because they can really go into the flesh without damaging the skin or flesh. They're primarily used by ISO fisherman here in Japan. Basically they fish from rock cliffs and surfbreakers with these hooks.

Just to tell the rest of you not to waste your money signing up for the vedder river steelhead derby. Because im the one whos gonna win it.

That trophy is mine and here's the headlines Chris......Nigel from Japan came to just enter the tourney and won!!!!!

Nigelman  8)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 08:07:22 AM by fisherkingnigel »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 09:07:36 AM »

Just to tell the rest of you not to waste your money signing up for the vedder river steelhead derby. Because im the one whos gonna win it.

That trophy is mine and here's the headlines Chris......Nigel from Japan came to just enter the tourney and won!!!!!

Sounds excellent. ;D  ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »

Ok Chris Gadsden, just look for the guy holding the Ferguson and Furnell Trophy and ill be happy to tell you how i caught my winning fish and the other 10 i released.........also do i get to keep my trophy and is there prise money?
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 12:39:43 PM »

Ok Chris Gadsden, just look for the guy holding the Ferguson and Furnell Trophy and ill be happy to tell you how i caught my winning fish and the other 10 i released.........also do i get to keep my trophy and is there prise money?
The Trophy is a perpetual one and it goes way back, I believe to the 30's. A honour to win, my son won it a few years back and if you are winning it this year I willl have to wait some. ;D I have entered as I said a few times and was lucky to get a hatchery fish one year, but I finished down in the standings.

No prize money but I believe there is a number of prizes to chose from and the winner gets first choice of course. Usually a custom made rod and a reel combo is usually taken first.

The camera is loaded for your winning fish pix, wear your best outfit. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 12:41:25 PM by chris gadsden »

fisherkingnigel

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »

quick question Chris.

I guess you have to catch a hatchery fish for the weigh in right? No wilds can be bonked or taken so I guess only hatchery would be the case.

Nigelman :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 06:16:08 PM »

quick question Chris.

I guess you have to catch a hatchery fish for the weigh in right? No wilds can be bonked or taken so I guess only hatchery would be the case.

Nigelman :D
Yes only hatcheries.