Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod too light for coho?  (Read 5964 times)

westcoastercoho

Rod too light for coho?
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:32:35 PM »

I found a Shimano SI- 66M2B 6'6", 6-10 lbs, 1/8-5/16 oz lure, in my man cave. Too small for coho?  Would be fishing spoons and spinners in a medium river. My current rod is way to heavy, would be nice to have a change. Any input appreciated!!

Cheers.

Tenz85

Re: Rod too light for coho?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »

Would be ideal on the Fraser and OK in pools on the vedder but prepare to break off springs if its in a fast current.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:04:34 PM by Tenz85 »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »

Keep to the slow water (coho like it anyways) and you'll be totAlly fine. Any springs or chums caught, just save time and straight line IT.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »

That rod is perfectly fine for coho salmon, in fact you should find it very enjoyable. You will have a hard time bringing in bigger species, like chum and chinook salmon, but it's not impossible if you don't care about using up the time that you could be fishing for coho salmon. Here is a chinook salmon I caught on a similar setup (rod is rated 6 to 10lb test, the main line was 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen on a Shimano Sustain 2500). It should have left my little coho salmon spinner alone… ;D

salmonlover

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

That rod is perfectly fine for coho salmon, in fact you should find it very enjoyable. You will have a hard time bringing in bigger species, like chum and chinook salmon, but it's not impossible if you don't care about using up the time that you could be fishing for coho salmon. Here is a chinook salmon I caught on a similar setup (rod is rated 6 to 10lb test, the main line was 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen on a Shimano Sustain 2500). It should have left my little coho salmon spinner alone… ;D

It's like you have that picture on standby lol :p

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »

Of course! I have to bring that up whenever there is an opportunity….

Magz

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

X2 awsome coho rod.have fun with it !

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:59 PM »

It'll work, we use 4-8 TFO rods.

dave c

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »

Wow that must have been some battle!!!! Nice fish Rod!!!!

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »

If the rod is rated for 1/8 to 5/16 oz lures, what would happen if I used it with a 1/2 oz Gibbs Croc (without extra sinkers)?

G-Ratt

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

If the rod is rated for 1/8 to 5/16 oz lures, what would happen if I used it with a 1/2 oz Gibbs Croc (without extra sinkers)?

It'll be fine, just don't cast too haphazardly, nice easy swings, the extra weight of the lure will do the rest of the work.

Lure ratings on rods are pretty conservative IMO, I've casted 4 oz bettys on my Technium, which is only rated to 3/8 oz.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »

If you are using lures heavier than the recommended weight, it will not be as enjoyable to retrieve it because the rod will be bending quite a bit as you bring the lure in. This will affect your hook-set.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »

Over-weighting the rod will also result in significantly less distance. My pink/coho rod is rated up to 3/8oz and it will cast 1/2oz Crocs but at 10% less distance. Remember that the rod does the work.

jim

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »

IMHO that is a very light rod for Coho. That rod is for a lake, casting to Black Crappies, Brook char off of a point, or trolling off of a downrigger for trout. Find some lures that are that weight and see how small they are. Better to get a rod rated for 1/4 to 3/8ths oz, 10-15 lb test.

Archer

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »

I use a 6'6 medium and cheap spincast rod with a Shimano Sienna 4000 for tossing spoons n spinners on Dyke rd. Richmond or Derby Reach in Langley, I had fun with a coho last fall in it. No problem on the Fraser from Abbotsford (Glenn Valley) to Richmond. Great for Pinks too. A pissed off chum or spring might take a while but it would be fun!!
Only problem is you cannot set up a bar rig with it cause it won't cast the led.