Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilko Lake, May 5th 2010  (Read 1235 times)

mykisscrazy

Chilko Lake, May 5th 2010
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

Rod just so you know the Bull Trout is even hit and miss up here.
River is closed but have been able to head over to the Narrows. Problem here is that people come up and chum the area with roe then come back and harvest a good number of fish.
But still it's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
Hopefully I'll be back when the river is open!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilko Lake, May 5th 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »

Isn't it gorgeous there?  Stunning scenery and maybe the last stronghold of Fraser sockeye. Hope your program is going as planned.

Say hi to my bro, who also suggests that Bull Trout population is declining.  Caught a sea run "char" yesterday in the Vedder; thanks for the picture of the interior version;  I much prefer the coastal variety...

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »

I worked on that system back in 1980 and it still looks the same as i remember it even though I was there in the fall. So can you tell me if the old sauna that was built into the river bank by the old Internation Pacific Salmon Commission field camp is still there? That was a very nice treat after a hard days work. Fire up the sauna, bake in there until you can't stand it and then run 15 ft. and jump into the ice cold Chilco. Felt great. From the picture of where your truck is parked, the sauna should be in the group of larger trees. Just curious if it has been maintained all of these years. I believe it was originally built by a fellow named Tom Kosky of Horsefly who was a long time Salmon Commission employee.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »

Brian your'e right. Tom Koskie did build that, eons ago.  It's long gone now though.  People who have not seen this country absolutely should, while it is still relatively pristine.

Locals are gonna hate me for saying that ....

mykisscrazy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »

Hey Dave
All is going extremely well. Will fill you in more when I get back.
Your brother says Hi and he is a local...As you know!