Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surf/kelp perch recipes?  (Read 6118 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Surf/kelp perch recipes?
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

Weird question, but I'm going over to Tofino in not too long and I'm packing my steelhead rod which coincidentally throws a 3oz pyramid sinker pretty well out into the surf.  I've caught kelp perch that weighed about 1.5lbs before, so there should be enough meat to bother cooking them, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with cooking white-meat fish.  Any ideas for a recipe that doesn't require too many ingredients (I'll be camping).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Surf/kelp perch recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »

I'd just steam the thing/dump some lemon on it-taste is only so/so.

Don't know how you like bony little fish full of hair like bones but I'd never touch the stuff again m'self.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »

I've had the exact opposite experience...

we cooked up some seaperch that we caught near saltery bay and they were absolutely amazing.

we just cut out the guts, removed the head, wrapped them in foil, a little butter, a little lemon and some salt and pepper and they were REALLY good.  Who knows though...you might hate em :)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »

Pan fry with butter add crushed pepper.  Tastes good and smells good.

Matt B.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

fillet them and make sure when you do you get the skin off, then roll them in cornmeal and deep fry

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »

I've had the exact opposite experience...

we cooked up some seaperch that we caught near saltery bay and they were absolutely amazing.

we just cut out the guts, removed the head, wrapped them in foil, a little butter, a little lemon and some salt and pepper and they were REALLY good.  Who knows though...you might hate em :)

I just cooked up a fillet of perch with salt/pepper/dried parsley flakes/lemon juice with some butter in a pan and it was pretty good. I would say by all means, catch em...I wouldn't bother filleting them though cause you lose a fair bit of meat, just do as "marmot" stated. gut it, cut off the head then put whatever you want on them and bake it. The skin should peel off easily once cooked, which saves you the time and mess from scaling them.

ali2pali

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »

As Sam Salmon said....there does seem to be a lot of little bothersome bones in them. Plus in my experience is they taste terrible..but that could'a been the way they were cooked. Either way I likely won't eat them again but try them once yourself and go from there.

gumby

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »

equal parts soy sauce and water ( has to be kikoman ) freshly minced garlic, and brown sugar to sweeten. vinegar is an option. then either bake, steam, or bbq. awesome with all fish!!!!