Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby  (Read 24256 times)

bcguy

Re: 2011/2012 Wally Hall Jr Memorial Steelhead Derby
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 06:36:38 AM »

I wouldnt get too excited over alot of people fishing early season.The forums im sure are attracting alot of newbies to the sport.They will give up rather quickly when they soon realize that fishing for steel is tough compared to the salmon season.Winter weather conditions,alot fewer fish and elite anglers catching most of the steel.Whats that saying? 90%of the steel are caught by 10% of the fisherman.Nice to see the real season has officially begun now. ;D
I would venture to say much like the rest of the world, it follows Pareto's 80-20 theory
20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

Yah bro. I always get my fish. People dont seem to understand theres more to steelhead fishing then fence posting the meat holes.Knowledge,skill and experience play a huge role in being succesful at catching steelhead.Not alot of anglers actually know what thier doing out there.Ive seen it all in 28 yrs chasing steel all over this great province of ours.Hey man.you have to pay your dues.Also helps when you live just a few minutes from the river and can fish anytime,anywhere. Love the fact that the river changes every yr and one has to relearn the flow all over again.Heres hoping to another great steel season on the Vedd!Tight lines!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »

i laugh at people who cry about fence posting...everybody does it! i've walked miles of river where if i get into a run and start getting constant hits, i'll stay put until the bite turns cold...why do you think people are always on the move?...obviously to find where the fish are holding. if someone wants to fence post, it's fine by me, i just ask to walk through...not a big deal.

i've also had people do the same who's asked to walk through and end up staying below a run i'm working because they got into fish....and if i decide to move i'll just leap frog around them...once again, not a big deal.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »

I;m no expert but I noticed last year that december and early january had more people out there than the few times I went in the mid/late season...maybe the hordes who go first still have fish fever from the fall salmon season and then give up after nothing for december...

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »

I;m no expert but I noticed last year that december and early january had more people out there than the few times I went in the mid/late season...maybe the hordes who go first still have fish fever from the fall salmon season and then give up after nothing for december...

they get caught up in the hype, but then get a dose of reality when time after time,  they leave the river cold, wet, and empty handed.

also with the cost of gas, it's hard to justify going out constantly unless you live 5 mins from the river.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »

steelheading is fishing, just like salmon, there is no difference..
its just cold. and less fish.

Tight lines to all

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »

steelheading is fishing, just like salmon, there is no difference..
its just cold. and less fish.

this statement is what's referred to as a paradox...if you truly believe that then you don't have a true appreciation of what steelheading is all about or have the knowledge of what these magnificent fish represent.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:56:45 AM by blaydRnr »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »

From Fred's Twitter today. ;D

"Steelhead number two was just weighed in, a nice 11.187lbs Doe, caught by Kris Johnson! Congratulations Kris, nice fish!"

Preliator

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »

Due to the registered 24 hour in advance of first weigh-in rule, I'm not sure if this is the same gentleman as was fishing above me earlier today or not (with two others), but if so, I harbor no ill feelings towards  you - even though you caught that beautiful Doe after stepping into the run that I wasn't finished working, but merely took a few minutes to land and snap a few photos of my first ever Bull Trout. I figured these types of actions left with the salmon season, but apparently not. With that being said, it was exciting to see another Steelie caught in the same spot where I had lost one a week prior while targeting trout and char.

roseph

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the same gentleman as was fishing above me earlier today or not

I assume you mean he stepped in below you?? 

Preliator

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »

I moved downstream a bit while playing and landing the fish, and he moved into the exact spot where I was.

bunnta

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »

i thought it was part of the angling ethic to share the river but that is a grey thin line....i am on your side about this one cause you caught a fish but its not something your looking for....but its like saying you hooked a wild steelhead and wanted that spot back cause you didn't get your hatchery? I thought its rotational angling.....to a certain point ???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:31:34 PM by bunnta »

Preliator

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »

It's not that big of a deal, really. It is just surprising that such a large system with far less anglers on it due to salmon season being finished is still subject to the same tactics. I would have been more than happy to move down had he asked.

frozensalmon

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »

http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Fishing-Report_ep_77.html

fred's report says already 3 fish were weighed in but only 1 is eligiable for the derby , why is that, I assume they are all hatchery to be retained
more coho, more coho... ::)

Banny

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Fishing-Report_ep_77.html

fred's report says already 3 fish were weighed in but only 1 is eligiable for the derby , why is that, I assume they are all hatchery to be retained

The most likely reason is that the person bringing in the fish to be weighed had not previously entered the derby for this season.