Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rice Lake fly fishing..  (Read 3064 times)

qescott

Rice Lake fly fishing..
« on: October 07, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »

I feel like this is a silly question, because of how recently rice lake was stocked... but, how do I catch the 'bows at rice lake on a fly? I was there today for a good two hours with no success. I was on the dock (for lack of waders) and of course everyone and their mom was catching them on powerbait... But i didnt see many people fly fishing- if any. Patterns, technique, gear, any info would be great.  ;D

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Rice Lake fly fishing..
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

A small Spratley or halfback fished slowly along the bottom usually works or a small micro leech.  At this time of year a boatman might also work.
Not all those who wander are lost

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »

Sending you an email about fishing together!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

qescott

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »

A small Spratley or halfback fished slowly along the bottom usually works or a small micro leech.  At this time of year a boatman might also work.
Like right on the bottom? How do I manage that? I have sinking line and weighted flies and ect but the water is a bit deep isn't it? Obviously I'm fairly new to fly fishing, sorry if I sound ridiculous :P

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »

Like right on the bottom? How do I manage that? I have sinking line and weighted flies and ect but the water is a bit deep isn't it? Obviously I'm fairly new to fly fishing, sorry if I sound ridiculous :P

Not at all, but the water is not deep at all (15 feet at its deepest).  I never had trouble hitting bottom with a full or intermediate sinking line with or with out a weighted fly.  I have not been back since moving to Langley, but while I attended College up there I preferred a sink tip as it allowed the fly to glide just above the bottom as opposed to the full sink that tended to scrape the bottom by the time you got close to home.  A floating line with a weighted halfback or hare's ear hung 10-12 feet down below a small corkie indicator would be good as well.  The slow undulations of a small leech pattern used to work wonders as well, as did a Spratley with the wing trimmed to resemble a large Chronie.

qescott

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »

Not at all, but the water is not deep at all (15 feet at its deepest).  I never had trouble hitting bottom with a full or intermediate sinking line with or with out a weighted fly.  I have not been back since moving to Langley, but while I attended College up there I preferred a sink tip as it allowed the fly to glide just above the bottom as opposed to the full sink that tended to scrape the bottom by the time you got close to home.  A floating line with a weighted halfback or hare's ear hung 10-12 feet down below a small corkie indicator would be good as well.  The slow undulations of a small leech pattern used to work wonders as well, as did a Spratley with the wing trimmed to resemble a large Chronie.
would a regular green chironomid work?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »

would a regular green chironomid work?

I don't see why not, but most hatches will be small if at all these days.  That is why attractors might work better.

anorden

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »

FWIW I have always outfished powerbaiters at rice lake with a sinking line and a hulking great orange or red marabou streamer.