Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait choices for urban lakes  (Read 3958 times)

Suther

Bait choices for urban lakes
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »

So I was wondering what people like for bait when fishing for rainbow trout in the urban lakes.

Rodney's favorite seems to be some krill hes seasoned with Patzuke's FireCure. Anyone know where I can get some krill near Port Moody? Does SeaRun in Coquitlam or... Whatever the shop in PoCo on Shaugnessey is, sell krill?

Also, does everyone else like krill too? Or what do you prefer?

I have two varieties of PowerBait (pumpkinseed 2.5" grubs, and pink 5" Steelhead worm) I tossed a grub under a float for a few minutes today, but I wasn't expecting much from it considering it was super-sunny. Does PowerBait use different scents and stuff on different baits, or is it all pretty much the same? I was planning on bottom-fishing half a steelhead worm next time I go out...

Castor

Re: Bait choices for urban lakes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »

I use deli shrimp mostly but will throw on a worm or krill when I feel like going by my tackle shop. deli shrimp is just more accessible as you can just swing by your grocery store on your way
I'd fish that

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

fire cured corn, or shrimp/krill, also single eggs work great and the ever classic dew worm.

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:42 PM »

Another vote for deli shrimp 8)

RyanB

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »

Cooked shrimp works well, best I've found is a big package from T&T for about six bucks.  Will last for about a dozen trips.  It has the right texture to keep it from falling off the hook.  I don't use cures on shrimp for trout or salmon.  Also works great for flounder and other bottom fishing.

Eggs don't work very well for stocked trout but I have caught a few on plastic scented eggs.

Dew worm is ok but you have to chop them into small pieces for the smaller hooks, which causes them to have a shorter life in the water and stop moving quicker.

If the fish are feeding, spinners are deadly.

Powerbait is hit or miss.  It worked really well for ice fishing last winter though. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »

Powerbait Chartreuse 3" Trout worms under a float or medium bubble float, swivel, w/4-9 ft leader and olive or black fly (something that looks like a leech) slowly retrieved. But chartreuse worms usually work for me if they're biting.

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »

Chartreuse power eggs.  Caught 2 nice size fish at Rice Lake today and was only there for 30 minutes. Carolina rig.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »

my favorite is to buy some of the smaller cooked ready to eat shrimp from the deli, and soak/brine it overnight in Red Pautzkie's Nectar http://pautzke.com/products_nectar.php
let it drain and dry for a couple of hours in the fridge and then fish that under a small float. i'll usually outfish everyone around me with it...

to be able to cast, ill use a size 4 or 6 hook with an egg loop to hold on to the shrimp after i've passed the hook through it.

i find i with the float set up, i don't get deep set hooks because i can set the hook before they have swallowed the entire bait. makes releasing them much easier.

cured krill from First Light Fishing & Tackle in burnaby has been really good too.

Suther

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:11:56 AM »

Do you guys just use the whole shrimp?

MoeJKU

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »

One that hasn't been mentioned is crickets. I know i used to slay fish with them when i was a kid. I havn't checked the regs in years because i have only fished for trout on the fly since. Would be worth looking up. We just fished it under a float with some split shots

Suther

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:53:53 AM »

One that hasn't been mentioned is crickets. I know i used to slay fish with them when i was a kid. I havn't checked the regs in years because i have only fished for trout on the fly since. Would be worth looking up. We just fished it under a float with some split shots

Just buy those at a pet store,  sold as snake food or something?

MoeJKU

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »

Yeah just check the regs, wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Suther

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »

Only thing you can't use for bait is fin fish, at least that's what I thought I have read?

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »

depends on the size of the shrimp.
i like to cover the entire hook but with a little bit of the hook point sticking out or just almost out, so that when i set the hook it doesn't have to go through the shrimp first before it hits the fish's mouth.

RyanB

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »

You want the piece of shrimp to be small enough that the hook isn't blocked by the shrimp.  The shrimp piece has to move out of the way for the hook to penetrate the fish's mouth fully.  A whole shrimp would only work on something like a 1/0 hook, and you should be using hooks in the #8 - #4 range for small stocked trout.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson