Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River - Ruskin Spawning channel?  (Read 13348 times)

Suther

Stave River - Ruskin Spawning channel?
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »

I wanted to go hit the Stave River sometime in the next week. (I have heard about the parking issues, and have no idea where I can park but Im just going to go there and drive around a bit, see what I can find. Anyone have any pointers?)

My question is this - what is the Ruskin Spawning channel? Is this it???

If not, where is it?

Also, what is the terrain like? I expect to have to walk some, but I dont have waders, only some rubber boots if I need to go through some very shallow water. Is this one of those places that you really need some waders to get to the fish?

ninez

Re: Stave River - Ruskin Spawning channel?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

Someone got towed last or two weekends ago.

Also heard a crazy story that someone got their license plate swapped while parking there.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »

The yellow is the spawning channel. Below that, the green is the boat launch. North of the boat launch is all spawning channel, no fishing (in that backwater off the main stem.) The orange is all open to fishing.

As far as parking goes, it gets busy. Be there before sunrise. Last weekend, sunrise was 730, and I was there at 6, and still the third vehicle. The main place to park is at Hayward and Keystone, right beside silvermere lake. Just show up at 7 in the morning, youll see all the cars.

If you want to fish the back channels, you dont need waders, but your boots will be filled with water. The main stem is easily accessed without waders. Then again, actually getting to the river, many people walk up Hayward to the Ruskin Picnic area and scoot down and into the river. Sometimes the Hydro people will let you, but I have heard of one or two people working there not letting people through.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:47:46 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

jazzhead

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »

Towed on the east or west side of the river? 

I have parked along Hayward and Keystone, walked to the gate and to the river.  Ther guard there so far  have let me through.  It's about 15-20mins walk.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:57:40 PM by jazzhead »

ninez

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »

Towed on the east or west side of the river? 

Suther, I have parked along Hayward and Keystone, walked to the gate and to the river.  There is usually a guard there but you can pass through.  It's about 15-20mins walk.  The spawning channel is between the dam and the boat ramp.  I believe there was a previous post here with googlemap picture.

west side of the river.

Suther

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

The yellow is the spawning channel. Below that, the green is the boat launch. North of the boat launch is all spawning channel, no fishing (in that backwater off the main stem.) The orange is all open to fishing.

As far as parking goes, it gets busy. Be there before sunrise. Last weekend, sunrise was 730, and I was there at 6, and still the third vehicle. The main place to park is at Hayward and Keystone, right beside silvermere lake. Just show up at 7 in the morning, youll see all the cars.

If you want to fish the back channels, you dont need waders, but your boots will be filled with water. The main stem is easily accessed without waders. Then again, actually getting to the river, many people walk up Hayward to the Ruskin Picnic area and scoot down and into the river. Sometimes the Hydro people will let you, but I have heard of one or two people working there not letting people through.

Okay perfect. Thanks for that info.

I was planning on going mid-week, maybe thursday, but it wouldn't be until later on - maybe 1pm? I have school in the morning. If I get my reel in the mail tuesday, I might be able to get out Wednesday morning, but Im not a morning person (I know, being a fisherman means being a morning person, they just go hand-in-hand...) Would parking be a hard thing to find at that time?

ninez

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »

Okay perfect. Thanks for that info.

I was planning on going mid-week, maybe thursday, but it wouldn't be until later on - maybe 1pm? I have school in the morning. If I get my reel in the mail tuesday, I might be able to get out Wednesday morning, but Im not a morning person (I know, being a fisherman means being a morning person, they just go hand-in-hand...) Would parking be a hard thing to find at that time?

Not getting there early just means more walking. 

Suther

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »

Im coming from Port Moody... Best way to get there would be down Lougheed to 287 and just follow that up til it turns into wilson and keep going til I find parking?

Also, can someone verify about access to the orange part - do you have to walk from Wilson all the way over there?

ninez

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »

Im coming from Port Moody... Best way to get there would be down Lougheed to 287 and just follow that up til it turns into wilson and keep going til I find parking?

Also, can someone verify about access to the orange part - do you have to walk from Wilson all the way over there?

Hayward and keystone?  as mention above (reply #2)?

jazzhead

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »

287 and Wilson is the West side of the river where you can get towed away. 

To get to the east side, continue on Lougheed pass the bridge (you can see silvermere lake on your left) and turn in at Hayward after you pass the lake.  You will reach a sign that says road is closed right before a sharp turn into Keystone.  You should see cars parked along the road.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:40:01 PM by jazzhead »

Suther

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »

The internet tells me about a parking lot on Wilson past the dam? Or is this really far?  I don't know the river at all,  so I really don't know where to go per say

Humpy

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »

Stick to the east side, park on Hayward Street, walk through the swamp to get to the river, or if they allow you too, walk through the construction area close to the dam.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

ninez

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

The internet tells me about a parking lot on Wilson past the dam? Or is this really far?  I don't know the river at all,  so I really don't know where to go per say

The dam is under construction.
The parking lot is closed for the construction equipment (I think I read about that somewhere).

Suther

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »

The dam is under construction.
The parking lot is closed for the construction equipment (I think I read about that somewhere).

There is another temporary parking lot just north of the closed one.  That's what bc hydro website says at least.

Suther

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »

Stick to the east side, park on Hayward Street, walk through the swamp to get to the river, or if they allow you too, walk through the construction area close to the dam.

From what I read on the bc hydro site it's closed except local traffic,  and there's no parking there either?