Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okuma Avenger ABF spinning Reel  (Read 2674 times)

Suther

Okuma Avenger ABF spinning Reel
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »

I need a new reel for my larger spinning rod, and came across the Okuma Avenger ABF on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Avenger-ABF-Graphite-Feeder/dp/B001VAT44Q/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_3_GBVJ?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PS4M44RDCTAR6EGKTSC

Anyone have a review of this reel? The Amazon reviews are mostly very good.

Also, what size should I get? This rod will be used for salmon fishing, as well as sole/flounder/dogfish/whatever else I get into off the piers. I was thinking a 50, but Im not entirely sure if its big enough. Is this reel big enough for bar fishing? It seems that it would hold plenty of line... (says it has 17lbs max drag. Is that sufficient?)

Thanks for your insight!

Dr. Backlash

Re: Okuma Avenger ABF spinning Reel
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »

Go with a Daiwa Ballistic - nicest drag on a spinning reel I've ever used.  It has 17lbs of drag and its waterproof which is great for saltwater (tidal fraser) and its very lightweight.  Its about $200 but worth every penny

Suther

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »

That's about 4 Times my price range.  I know you get what you pay for, but I simply cannot afford $200.

This reel is about $50 for the 50 size,  is also supposed to be waterproof and has 6 bearings. For the price it seems impossible to beat. Most reviews are amazing, just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this reel.

Also wanting info for what is needed for bar fishing - does this have enough drag? Is the 50 a good size or would a 65 be better?

island boy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

i have used one for 4-5 years and never had a problem. mine i think is the 45. caught springs with it and no issues.
you kill it, you clean it.

Suther

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

i have used one for 4-5 years and never had a problem. mine i think is the 45. caught springs with it and no issues.

I have seen some reviews that talk about the bail becoming a bit finicky after some time. Have you had any issues in this respect?

island boy

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »

no not at all.good reel for the price.
you kill it, you clean it.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »

Have you considered going into your local tackle shop? Tell them your budget and they will provide you with the best recommendations for a reel they can.

pacific flyer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »

In my opinion, I'd look at the Shimano Reels.  They have a wide range of quality reels for most budgets.  (especially those who have mortgages  ::)

I've own many brand reels but none seem to last long as Shimanos.

The latest and greatest even have a "maintenance port" for our convenience. 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:28:47 PM by pacific flyer »

Suther

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »

In my opinion, I'd look at the Shimano Reels.  They have a wide range of quality reels for most budgets.  (especially those who have mortgages  ::)

I've own many brand reels but none seem to last long as Shimanos.

The latest and greatest even have a "maintenance port" for our convenience.

Originally, I wanted to get a shimano reel, but I dont think there is anything worthwhile in my price range. The Okuma seemed like it had plenty of features while still being affordable, and has rave reviews on Amazon and Walmart, among others.

The features (6 bearings, baitrunner, size) on the Okuma are far superior to anything else I've found at a comparable price. The cheapest Shimano reel I can find bigger than a 4000 size is $60+ and is 1+1 bearings.

stormhaven

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

I've been using an Okuma reel all season .
Managed to land 9lb coho a 15lb spring and tons of pinks with no problems .
It's super fast and very light weight while putting the breaks on larger catches.
I've spooled mine with Suffix 30lb braid .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045E8R34.