Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fish hooks? size/style for salmon?  (Read 18149 times)

Suther

fish hooks? size/style for salmon?
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »

So I'm curious about fish hooks. I'm new-again to fishing, and was too young to know there were different kinds of hooks when I got out of it before.

What are the different hooks used for? I have o'shaunassey, octopus, kahle, and baitholder hooks (they came in a pack) and some random standard hooks.

What do people use for salmon? I assume different species require different sized hooks as well? From what I've read, 1/0 is a good choice for chum? (that's what I'm about to go after...)
I have done some reading, and can't come up with anything conclusive right now. Help is appreciated!

Animal Chin

Re: fish hooks? size/style for salmon?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »

I'm no expert and have yet to land a big spring.. but have caught all the other types of salmon and generally fished the popular lower mainland flows (Vedder, Stave, Tidal Fraser etc). Float, spinning and bar fishing. No ocean experience.

In the beginning 1, or 1/0. Now I've gone smaller. I've gotten use to using size 2 hooks with roe, size 1 with blades I make, and when I tie jigs I think they're 1/0. I think size 2 is small enough for clear water and big enough for the salmon I target/catch.

Though I like to be "stealthy"... and care most about coho. Chum and pinks when they're biting are pretty aggressive so I think 1 or 1/0 for them is fine.. I have inadvertently caught some pretty big chum plunking with roe on #2 hooks though, but I almost exclusively use jigs for them and Bent Rods jigs are 1/0 thick gauge sickle hooks (awesome hook).

Types of hooks I think are personal preference and what you have most confidence in. I don't cheap out on hooks or leader material.

I was using size 2 matzuo sickle hooks but broke quite a few of them. I still have quite a few, but have zero confidence in them so not using them anymore.

Now I'm a big fan of Owner brand #2 cutting point hooks, and Mustad Ultrapoint Siwash #1 for all my lures. YMMV and like I said, no expert.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:42:52 PM by Animal Chin »

fishtruck

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

Second that on Owner hooks. Well constructed. IMHO if you're using quality hooks then #1(Chums,Springs)and #2(Cohos) are all you need.

t-bone

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

Number 2 gamies are the best

1son

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »

Number 2 gamies are the best

X2 they are working well for me this year kinda tried out different hooks last season but came back to gamies.

brownmancheng

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »

Kind of off topic but when you guys sharpen your hooks do you sharpen away from hook point or towards?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »

Towards

Suther

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »

Away, unless its really bad, then towards followed by away.

So a size 2 hook should be strong enough? I have read stuff about chums straightening 1 or even 1/0 hooks..? Also, what style? Most people using Siwash? I just happen to have a bunch of octopus hooks, any reason I dont wanna use them?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

So a size 2 hook should be strong enough? I have read stuff about chums straightening 1 or even 1/0 hooks..? Also, what style? Most people using Siwash? I just happen to have a bunch of octopus hooks, any reason I dont wanna use them?

No problem at all with octopus hooks especially for float/drifting; its what most people use. Siwash usually used for spinners and lures.

Use a high quality hook and its nearly impossible that a chum is going to straighten it. Your leader will break long before the hook fails unless its defective. The only issue I've ever had was with thinner wire flyhooks.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »

Away, unless its really bad, then towards followed by away.

Towards vs away for sharpening? Why does it matter??? The way I was shown was to hold the hook at the bend and file/sharpen UP towards the eye of the hook. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but I seem to have no issues resharpening a hook that has been dulled and making it "sticky sharp" again.

I have heard some ppl say you want to sharpen a hook DOWN away from the eye as that is the same direction a fish will be going on the hook point. I say BS! Either the hook is sharp after you finish with it or it isn't.

Suther

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »

Towards vs away for sharpening? Why does it matter??? The way I was shown was to hold the hook at the bend and file/sharpen UP towards the eye of the hook. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but I seem to have no issues resharpening a hook that has been dulled and making it "sticky sharp" again.

I have heard some ppl say you want to sharpen a hook DOWN away from the eye as that is the same direction a fish will be going on the hook point. I say BS! Either the hook is sharp after you finish with it or it isn't.

Actually with some thought, I have changed my mind on which way to sharpen. Go towards the point. When sharpening axes, you run a file towards and across the blade. When sharpening a kitchen knife on a steel(long skinny sharpener), you sharpen towards the blade. I figure fish hooks should be done the same.

MoeJKU

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »

Though I like to be "stealthy"... and care most about coho. Chum and pinks when they're biting are pretty aggressive so I think 1 or 1/0 for them is fine.. I have inadvertently caught some pretty big chum plunking with roe on #2 hooks though, but I almost exclusively use jigs for them and Bent Rods jigs are 1/0 thick gauge sickle hooks (awesome hook).

These are great hooks, they are what i use to tie my own jigs with. I use size 2 1 1/0 for jigs. I believe rod even uses size 1 maybe even a two. Depending on what one it is and the target species.
 When i'm using roe its owner for me. But i have strictly fished jigs this year, as tying them myself is an addiction in itself.

Animal Chin

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »

These are great hooks, they are what i use to tie my own jigs with. I use size 2 1 1/0 for jigs. I believe rod even uses size 1 maybe even a two. Depending on what one it is and the target species.
 When i'm using roe its owner for me. But i have strictly fished jigs this year, as tying them myself is an addiction in itself.

Yeah love the Bent Rod Sickle Hooks.

That's what compelled me to try sickle hooks for other applications, but be careful. The Matzuo ones, you find at Berry's for example, break very easily. They were #2 and 1's and I had them break while fighting fish 3 times and twice really easily pulling on a snag (...which was good, but real easy). I noticed though that the ones on sale now have a curve vs a sharp angle at the bottom of the gap, so maybe that corrected the problem. Whatever though, going Owner whenever I can.

How are the jigs working out for coho? I caught just as many on jigs last year as on roe....but I have better roe this year.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:15:32 PM by Animal Chin »

lapa

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

Second that on Owner hooks. Well constructed. IMHO if you're using quality hooks then #1(Chums,Springs)and #2(Cohos) are all you need.

X2. Using owners  cutting point and super needle point hooks last 3 years. Didn't have single problem. In my opinion, they are way better then Gami.

zap brannigan

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »

Maruto sickle barbless hooks, best hooks I've used by far.