Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56789 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2005, 02:12:27 PM »

yeah, lower does put me to sleep also, but one time in march i saw a guy, and in 3 cast to steelhead and he landed them both, another guy before me also lost one at the beach as well.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2005, 04:17:35 PM »

OK Searun first!!!!  You know that I'm just playin!!!!!  I though that it would be a good way to get the lerker to finally post something!!!!!  Well that worked!!!!  So I will give you your do, I do thank you for A LOT for showing me the ropes, taking me under your wing so to say!!!!!  I think that I learned the most from you in the first ten min that I knew you!!!!  You said, make your presentation a bit smaller, and keep your line tighter to your float!!!!  Awsome advice, because next cast, I hooked and landed a 10.5 lb Hatchery coho!!!!!  That was awsome.  ;D ;D That was the second coho I had every landed, and the first one was well a fluke out of allison pool!!!! ::) ::)  In a spot that I am happy to say that I haven't fished again!!  Searun showed me the light!!!! ;D ;D  So I do thank you for that.  100+ coho later, I still learn from you and anyone else that I can!!!!! 
  Btw, Searun, this will be are 3rd Steelie derby that we have fished together,  the first one we startes at wilson, saw the old guy catch the winner just down from us!!!!  Then there was last year, when I was lucky enough to get that beauty!!!!  So I guess that it will be your turn for this year!!!!!  I know that you will get him this year as well!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »

was gonna go in the derby, havent companie over this year. wont get out till january.1

allwaysfishin

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2005, 07:03:31 PM »

ahhh but remember Big Steel..... I'm hittin this years season with a vengeance, boxing day will be no exception..... hopefully will hook up with you and searun for the derby day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2005, 07:40:25 PM »

That could more then likely happen!!!!!  But we will talk tomorrow about that while you're watching me fight all those coho I'm going to practice on!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2005, 08:00:20 PM »

Yes Mojo but wasn't that in Ontario!!!!! ;) ;)

ok BS....I'll bite(pun intended ;D) why would steelhead from Ont be any different than BC steel?.?.?.?

mojo always willing to learn

no responce budz????...always entertain anothers thoughts/experiences.....;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2005, 09:30:34 PM »

in reference to multiple steelhead hook ups in a day. looking back in my steelhead log, back in 2002 one of my best days fishing with two other guys was hooking into 9 steelies in a day. 5 were hooked in 1.5 hours and a total of 6 were landed. the largest was about 15 lbs. all drift fishing.

another day fishing after xmas i watched a buddy hook into 6 steelies in one run. i only hooked into 1. but in total 6 fish were caught in one hole.

all fish were hooked with shrimp/ghost shrimp corkie  and wool.

i think there are a few places even locally where it is possible to have mutliple day hook ups of steelies but timing and location are key.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »

Took me a while to think about that one but here it is!!!!! ;D ;D ;D  As for the green wool thing,  the steelhead out here as far as I can tell see a whole different specrum of foods, shrimp being one of there favorites!!!!  I could see that a properly trimmed and colored piece of wool might look like the back of one of these little tasty buggers.  That color having a tint of green in it!!!!!  The steelhead could be tricked into hitting this being that they are a pretty aggresive species.  So I could see it working!!!!  All I said was that I have never heard of it here in BC!!!!!  I use green while targeting chum, and Red Spring seem to like this offering when mixed with some red or black as well!!!!  But I could not see green wool being a go to kind of rig for steelhead.  From my experience, along with a lot of time on the river with the old pros, not one of them has ever mentioned it when discussing baits or techniques!!!!  I have tried pretty much everything that I could think of, even trying a squamish poacher, in scent under a float!!!!  I have found 3 definate go to things that I primarily stick to and they have done me well.  But I may have to try this green tinted wool, probably with a touch of light orange around the outside.  Then throw on some Glow Shrimp scent and see what happens!!!!  When I try this I will let you know!!!!  I will try it more than just a few times this year as well!!!!  I am now curious!!!!  Afterall Mojo, I am always willing to learn something new as well!!!!
  Also mojo, I am not totally aware of the spawning pattern of the steelhead in ontario!!!  Like where they go when they leave there first river, or what kind of rivers they return to to finish there life cycle!!!!  Are the rivers fast flowing with runs and ladders!!!!  The rivers that I have seen out there on the TV shows seem to be somewhat like the Fraser, which would make it a completely different stlye of fishing!!!  I know that the steelies out there enter smaller systems, but these as well require a different style and technique than that of the BC rivers.  Any other information would be greatly appreciated, as I would always like to learn and possibly adapt other ways of inducing the mighty steelhead to hit in our rivers!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2005, 10:05:52 PM »

i ahev seen pictures with blue wool in the mouth of a steelie before  :o

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2005, 10:46:47 PM »

BS....I have many years experience with Ont steels....would really like to hook up.....betwixt our knowledge...I'll bet we both learn.....and my budz 99 will share in this as well....if ya wanna fish steel.....grab all the "weapons" ya kin...;))))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »

B.S. you know everything i say is tongue in cheek, it so much more fun that way because i know you have a tendency to get irritated and it just makes me laugh even harder,also i forgot about that year at wilson but if you remember i did hook a small one that day and so did gt but we wont get into his luck steelheading as of late.You don't have to thank me for anything i just corrected a few small problems, you have managed the rest yourself,you see when we met you came across as a good enough guy that was willing to listen to improve the fishing for not only yourself but the people around you , maybe there is a lesson there for others on the river that are not quite as open to being given some free advice.Sorry for the lurking but i don't post that often because usually anything i have to say has allready been covered by the time i get home from work at midnight.P.S. Allways fishing the three of us should hook up for derby day then you and i can show b.s. how its done.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2005, 01:56:59 AM »

sounds good searun the three of us will have to hook up. i think we have fished together before, the day the infamous video was shot I think.

When looking back on my early days of fishing I really had no fishing mentors whatsoever. I was 11, had a bmx bike and a protac 8ft spin with a abu garcia bigger size spinnin reel. before that dad used to take us to a dock on the fraser with worms but all we ever caught was bullheads and such. I'd see big fraser springs jumping back then and dreamed of catching one. we never knew about pink runs and fall coho and the likes. Then one day I read something, maybe in a  b.c. outdoors mag , back in 1980 when it was a GREAT magazine, about fishing for coho on fraser bars. Off I went, worms in hand pedalling my bike from 88th avenue to patullo bridge for the crack of dawn every saturday. The old  timers of then and some of the old timers of now (they weren't then hehe) saw a kid desperate to fish and they hooked me up. I watched , listened and learned with a desire that they must have sensed because they all showed me thier little tricks and boy, did i catch coho back then  8) . As a few years went by I heard about this vedder river... where there was coho and that fish that brought a glint in thier eyes... steelhead. of course, I had to know about this. From age 16 with a fresh driver's liscence I was on my quest to fish this river. I probably fished it a dozen times over a couple years and no success. Then I met a guy, a friend from school who had fished the vedder and many other rivers for salmon and steelhead since he was old enough to hold a rod. It didn't take long , nor much convincing to have my friend show me the ropes. I got the proper set up level wind and 10 1/2 ft shimano canadian custom and we were catching coho and then later that year, steelhead. Many other anglers both my age up to retirement age and 90% of them perfect strangers, you know them by face and never remember thier names, have contributed to my knowledge of salmon and steelhead fishing. I don't know where my passion for fishing came from but my passion for river float fishing and especially steelhead fishing is all thanx to my high school friend darren g. , thx man 8)

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2005, 07:39:14 AM »

BS...in Ont they used to have 2 major runs....spring and fall... the introduction of the Skamaina strain has opened a summer run as well...so basically there is fish in the river systems almost year round.....the rivers are fast water but smaller than I've seen on my trips to the LM....the Nicola river is a real good example of most but not all steel rivers in Ont...lots of oxbows....fast and slow water......most with dams within' a mile of the lake, with ladders ect....oh... the browns there run as well....my best brown was 14 lbs.....head was huge!!!!....personal opinion on best time to fish....after a torrential downpour when the water turns to chocolate milk....have had days when you hit 30 fish in 4 hours....but is tuff to land them in the higher water....if they hang in the hole...u'll prolly get them....if they make for the fast water...u'll never keep up with 'em....dam...I miss steel... :-\

mojo

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2005, 12:21:46 PM »

Allways fishing we will have to make some plans with b.s. for derby day it should be fun,Ya we did fish together on that infamous video day ,to bad we didn't find more fish that day but hey we were steelheading what more can we ask for.Love your story it sounds quite familiar to me i think its great if you can find someone to point you in the right direction especially when you are young.I first started fishing the fraser bars with my dad when i was very young with the odd trip to the vedder and in its better days the coquitlam river for steelhead,from that point on i knew i had to figure out this steelheading thing and learn to float fish but it wasn't until i was 16 and got my drivers license that i really took it seriously,i remember the early days for steelhead and coho were pretty tough and sometimes frustrating but i watched the guys that were catching fish and learned and slowly started catching more and more and was allways open to any pointers that were given,i owe allot to some of those veterans of the river that pointed me in the right direction,because of them and me putting in the time on the rivers i have enjoyed many great days on the flow,can you say fish on.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2005, 12:24:53 PM »

Ahh Steelheading can you say FUN!!!. Here's a little story i was 16 living in Duncan we decided to skip school and take the rods and the Suzuki samaria up a mountain near by. Off we went to the top of this mountain pooring rain ugly weather any ways we barley make it to the spot due to intense wash outs on the steep road  lets say the road was like a newly formed river with out the warn winch we never would of gotten to our destination. WE made it and we were in Steelhead heaven first cast Buddie hooks a beauty 18 lb wild on a Colorado second cast he hooks another around 12 lbs we stayed here fof 4 hours and it was non stop steelie action . We caught and released wild steelies the hole time we were there just amazing since then I have yet to catch another one I am 31 now it's been a long drought The only one that ihave been close to catching was near Dewdney Slough we were trolling for ho's and we just landed a 10 -12 ho hatchery. Next pass along the dyke produced some excitment we were just out side the pilings tolling a pink blue fox and a coho  spoon when the WIFE says " i think i have something" so she starts to reel it in and the line stays slack untill i can see this monster fish im thinking 20 lb coho then it just keeps coming no fight at all so i grab the net it was laying on its side and had the big red stripe down the side i yell it's a hudge steelie then it goes nuts spooling jumping tailwalking and gone . The wife pipes up why did't you net it stupid it was right there i was in shock she never set the hook it never fought untill it seen the boat .