Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56757 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2005, 09:58:39 PM »

Yes Mojo but wasn't that in Ontario!!!!! ;) ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »

gotta say something, i say we make this the highest posting topic ;D

what your ppls favorite place to steelhead the vedder, lower, mid, upper

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2005, 10:13:14 PM »

Well kid that depends on the time of the year!!!!  I like to start off the year in the Mid to upper river, that is all I will say for now though!!!!  I'm not sure how this year will turn out yet.  So the strategy might change yet!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2005, 10:35:40 PM »

Well kid that depends on the time of the year!!!!  I like to start off the year in the Mid to upper river, that is all I will say for now though!!!!  I'm not sure how this year will turn out yet.  So the strategy might change yet!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Would lower be better for start of the year? some very good areas in lower river, with no parking around less crowds. ;D
[

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2005, 10:41:19 PM »

Could be, I just prefer the mid-upper!!!! ;) ;) ;)  That early run of steelies is pretty small, I would rather fish water where i know they might hold once they use up some of that energy!!!! ;D ;D ;)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2005, 11:28:12 PM »

hehe i prefer the mid/upper all the time, but i don't care if the fish are hatchery or wild though. the percentage of wild vs hatchery hookups is higher on the wild side in the upper but that's okay. the lower puts me to sleep..... yawn  but this year i'll be hittin the lower with the fly on the warmer days so i guess i'll have to keep some wake up juice handy (coffee and a lil sumthin sumthin  8)

as this will be my first season pin 'n it, it should be an extra fun steelhead season.

perhaps a mention of steelheading river edicit should also be mentioned for those that are new to the pursuit. A different behavior is "expected" of those who brave the winter months in the quest for steel.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2005, 11:58:32 PM »

Just got back from work and am now taking the time to respond to b.s.First of all b.s. I have only fished in one derby with you and being that that   one was your first and you managed to hook one, good on you ,i wont even get into how many derbies and fish i have caught on derby day in the 22 years that i have fished the river because it will only get you all riled up,As for the springs this summer,thank you for tailing my fish a job well done, also for those that want the real truth i had his spring by the tail at the beach and it slipped out of my hands as it tried once more to gain its freedom,just an accident thats all, it happens.As for posting the video i have not decided yet wether i am going to or not ,i don't want to get you all mad and loose a guy thats good at tailing my fish,lol.buy the way great topic you started hear.P.S. you shouldn't be so nasty to the guy that gave his precious time to help you learn the art of fishing,lol
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2005, 06:14:55 AM »

Yes Mojo but wasn't that in Ontario!!!!! ;) ;)

ok BS....I'll bite(pun intended ;D) why would steelhead from Ont be any different than BC steel?.?.?.?

mojo always willing to learn
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:17:14 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

allwaysfishin

« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2005, 08:53:40 AM »

cuz they are transplanted from b.c. probably  ;D
good question though.... do steelhead occur naturally back east or were they introduced like pacific salmon??
I could see the fight and strength of the fish being different as our fish have to migrate up strong flowing coastal rivers. Steelheading the niagra system is HIGH on my to so list so when i experience that I'll be back with some observations..... that's next years trip though so you'll all be waitin awhile ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2005, 09:59:40 AM »

the steels were introduced to Ont...not sure when tho...I was fishin' them in the late 60's....my uncle years before that........in the mid 80's they introduced a strain from Washington if I recall properly...called Skamania....strongest fightin'est nastiest....'n all kinds of "est"....lol... fish I ever hooked....a small 6 lber would take 15-20  mins to land....if you landed it at all....these fish have a snow white mouth roof....and are long and slender....with the eyes more on top of the head as opposed to the sides....and the eyes have a distinctive bulge as well...and usually hit like freight trains....;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »

Anyone wach fish tv on channel 22 today? The guys were SLAMING! steelhead in a small creek on everything from live worms to flys. Is there places like that still left where you can hook up with 10 or more steelhead a day? :o
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2005, 01:30:08 PM »

Anyone wach fish tv on channel 22 today? The guys were SLAMING! steelhead in a small creek on everything from live worms to flys. Is there places like that still left where you can hook up with 10 or more steelhead a day? :o

YES! Though not typically in the LM. Best I've heard of in the LM is 17 fish to hand between 4 anglers. But I know guys who've hooked 30 fish in a day on certain V.I. and northern B.C. rivers.
Actions speak louder than words.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »

yes...the show was prolly showin' a ton of fish.....but if you ever saw a fishin' show bein' produced u'd prolly say they caught 3 steels...and made 10 shots from different angels..hell...I saw Bob from the Real Fishin' Show at the Saugeen River in central Ont several years ago......took them 4 days to make a 30 min show...they landed 2 fish in 4 days.....howz that for a PRO!!!!]]

mojo jest sayin'...don' believe everything you read or see on tv/radio/internet etc... 8)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »

Who says i do? ;D it also was a remote river/creek i guess those have stronger runs due to the low fishing pressure. I wish the vedder was like that. :-\
[

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2005, 02:09:27 PM »

all i know is that sport fishing bc is filmed in 8 hours. to prove to viewers that its possible to catch that many fish.