Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56787 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2005, 09:13:47 PM »

As long as the steelies come I don't care, if they're REALLY late then I'll have to work on my flychucking game and hit'em in may too 8)
Oh yah may is fly only month that would be heaven for a noobie fly fisherman with LOTS! of free water. That being said fly fishing is an expensive Hobie a multi tip line is more than a rod in looking at. :-X
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2005, 09:27:50 PM »

As long as the steelies come I don't care, if they're REALLY late then I'll have to work on my flychucking game and hit'em in may too 8)
Oh yah may is fly only month that would be heaven for a noobie fly fisherman with LOTS! of free water. That being said fly fishing is an expensive Hobie a multi tip line is more than a rod in looking at. :-X

Flyfishing for Steel is a challenge. I started flyfishing for them 2 years ago and finally landed one last year on the fly. Its easier if you have already had previous steelhead experience as you know how to read water but its still allot of learning as its completely different with techniques.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2005, 10:19:32 PM »

You know me i jump right in without thinking about it too much. ::) SO why do it different for steelhead. ;D
[

allwaysfishin

« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2005, 11:27:15 PM »

steelheading for me is different than say coho fishing. I won't fish the vedder system for salmon anymore.... the magic is gone. these days i like to stick to the smaller more challenging flows for my ho's. Steelheading is more like hunting and maybe that's what draws me in. I'll tell you this though, sunrises on a misty winter steelhead river, with everything frozen all around is like a magical place. Therre is no "expectation" of a fish as there is with salmon fishing, although we ply likely steelhead water with "anticipation" of a good float down. The reward of hooking and playing a prime steelhead is to many folks, an elusive quest, taking seasons to hone the skills of reading the river and properly presenting your offering in a given current type or run structure. There are those with horseshoes up there butts too but we won't mention them any further  ::)  ;D .

I arrive on the river with a different motivation when steelhead are present and that "anticipation" of a steelhead taking my offering will get me up, rain, snow, 1 1/2 hr drive, whatever, to be sending my float through likely steelhead water at the crack of dawn is what river fishing is all about. I don't care if it's hatchery or wild, it's not about killing fish.

this is driving me nuts!!! is it boxing day yet??

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2005, 03:48:37 PM »

. The reward of hooking and playing a prime steelhead is to many folks, an elusive quest, taking seasons to hone the skills of reading the river and properly presenting your offering in a given current type or run structure. There are those with horseshoes up there butts too but we won't mention them any further ::) ;D .

You had best not be talkin about me Thomas!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2005, 04:35:56 PM »

like i said......
we won't talk about the people with horseshoes up their butts... hehehehehe ;D  8)

on the other hand, you know I'd share a day on the flow with ya anytime, ya just gotta land one of them hogs when i'm around  ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2005, 05:46:28 PM »

Fret not Thomas, I will!!!!!  You just have to come out with me a bit more and go to my runs !!!!! ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2005, 07:48:56 PM »

we all get those days when we wake up with a golden horseshoe firmly planted somewherre near the colon hehehe.... gross.
I had a hunting season this year that had me blessed with the golden horseshoe big time, 3 deer a moose and a big my friend black bear all within weeks of each other. hopefully my luck carries me into steelhead season too

and Dave, we gotta get poseidon out for some steel this year...... that ontario transplant has yet to catch the bug, but me having loads of "fish when i want time" from now on, it should not be a problem for us to have some glory days this season.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2005, 08:03:45 PM »

Well. I have definitely not had the horseshoe for coho season!!!!!  Only 10/11 this year so far, but I haven't given up yet!!!!!  Maybe the shoe will return on Dec.26 like it did last year!!!!!  Do you remember Dec. 29 last year Thomas!!!!  Had on that nasty one that came straight to shore, caught mine line on a rock and took off!!!!!  Yeah, that one still burns me a bit!!!!  Considering that it was caught on film!!!  I looked like a chubba!!!!!! ::) ::) :P ;D  You didn't even get off your rock to come and help!!!!  What was up with that!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Bye the way, who the heck is Poseidon anyways??  Could that be Hawk?? ;) ;)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2005, 01:38:19 AM »

hehehe
i was rooted in place.... awestruck at how that runty steelhead kicked your butt.... hehehehe just kiddin... but you know that  ;D
and yup, hawk (chris) is poseidon, gotta get him to re register though... he got moderated right off the board, Rod thought i created an alter ego hehehe  8)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:40:26 AM by allwaysfishin »

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2005, 12:34:55 PM »

;) :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2005, 12:52:24 PM »

I don't know what happen to my last post but i will try again.Big steel you do have a horseshoe were the sun don't shine,i remember a few years back when you rarely hooked a fish never mind landing it,when you did hook a fish you were so afraid of loosing it you would horse it in and lose it anyway,however things have changed with all the time you have put in and you have done quite well.I am also looking forward to the upcoming steelhead season ,in particular the boxing day derby,you better be ready because that 13lber from last year isn't going to be good enough,I'm coming at you hard this year ,so hard you should probably just sleep in just  to save you from getting frustrated and upset,lol.hopefully we will catch our share this year and have a few laughs.P.S. I'm thinking about posting your don't horse it video From that steelhead so everyone can enjoy it ,what do ya think.sharp hooks and tight lines.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2005, 01:28:15 PM »

hehehe
that would be so CRUEL..... you have to post it  ;D
sorrry dave  ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »

Both you guys suck!!!! ;D ;D  You know that right!!!!  Just thought that I would tell you in case you haven't realized it yet!!!! ;) ;) 
  Well let's see here Searun, since we started fishing the Derby together, I believe that I have caught the only fish on boxing day!!!!!!   ;D ;D
  As for you Always, I don't need any help looking like a chubba!!!!  I can do that quite fine on my own!!!!  Like when I hooked myself in the jaw earlier this year!!!!!  Anyhow I think that I have said enough!!!! ;D
Ps  Bring it on suckers!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2005, 04:21:59 PM »

yeah post it.