Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead!!!!!  (Read 56763 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Steelhead!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2005, 05:13:13 AM »

5 hooked 3 landed, 2 of them were near 20 lbs!!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2005, 06:05:53 AM »

3 to hand, two wild one hatch. Hatch was first fish of the day, sure glad I released it.

:anded al three I hooked that day but I also had another 2 fish follow my hook to within about 2 feet of shore  :o
Actions speak louder than words.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2005, 09:55:24 AM »

Only ever fished the Vedder once. Got talked into it last year by a buddy who knows the system rather well.  ;) Had to go over to the mainland to pick up a new-to-me 4x4, so took a day to have a look at this flow so many folks chat and post about on several of the Forums.

Given my background with fishing WCVI flows, often remote, I carried more than a few misgivings about fishing anywhere on the mainland. I had of course heard the horror stories regarding conjested rivers, and the problems that go hand in hand with that. But as it was a week day, I figured it wouldn't be all that bad...

What I witnessed that day well confirmed my suspicions. We hunted four different locations that day, and dispite wandering in before first light, there were soon dozens of rods at the first stop. Combat style fishing has never really appealed to me, and this was what we enterred into. Shoulder to shoulder anglers, many obviously without any clue at to ettiquite (scrambling to beat each other to the next likely looking spot, refusing to move when others came along, casting over each other, etc) and just as many that didn't appear to know what they were doing (wearing cheap Canada tire rubber hip waders & overly bright jackets, carrying large tackle boxes full of who knows what, employing gear more suited to dredging up sturgeon, or on the other end of the scale, ultra-light trout rigs)  ::)

The next spot was the same, and the next. Finally late in the afternoon, we wandered into an area that held but a single angler, dressed in beat up neo's and a faded green helly hanson jacket, plying the flow with a pin. Both the lack of conjestion, and that fellow were a welcome relief from the previous experiences of the day. Although the fellow was somewhat distant, I felt an almost kindred attachment to him and the water he was working. A brief chat, then gave him a wide berth, leaving a large section of water for him to fish before even considering doing the same.

Overall, I wasn't dissapointed with the day. The system is quite pretty, and I recognized a good amount of what I considered fishy water. It was nice to put a picture to the name to the many pools and runs I had heard of, even though the conjestion was actually somewhat more than I had anticipated. We saw upwards of 80 people working the flow that day, dispite it being mid-week.

As for fishing, under my buddy's guidance, I managed to hook nine and land seven chromers amongst the crowds that day. Not a bad day as far as success goes. But I was more than happy to scurry home, and spent the next several days on a few of the more removed Island systems, very much enjoying the tranquility that they, their inhabitants, and the complete lack of other anglers brings home to me.

Will I be back? Doubtfull. I've now seen what I wanted to. And although it is indeed a beautiful river, it has far to much traffic for me to really enjoy myself there. Perhaps, someday, if I find myself over on the mainland at the right time of year in an unrelated pursuit, I might take a few moments to have another look... Perhaps.

Here's a pix of one of those gems the Lady Vedder graciously allowed me to play with that day:

For now, I'll stick to the Island, where it seems I fit somewhat better. Although I must admit, even here, it's getting more and more conjested each and every year. The Stamp still is my back yard, but I don't bother with the weekends any more, for that very reason. Even week days, you're much more liable to run into crowds than it ever used to be.

Cheers,
Nog - Yearning for the "good old days" when there were but a few die-hards that plied the local flows, when by and large, everyone knew each other, and were courteous to the extreme...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:58:22 AM by IronNoggin »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2005, 02:56:25 PM »

Thats a perfect fish
[

Straight Runner

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2005, 07:59:51 PM »

So is there any chance of me hooking one of these steel beauties trolling around out in the chuck, like around T14 (off Canoe Pass) or around T10? Do they come in from the salt all winter? Do they generally move in, in schools in the salt?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2005, 08:05:15 PM »

Yes, they move in from the saltchuck. Your chances of hooking up with one of these beauties is much better in the river than trolling around in the ocean.

Straight Runner

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2005, 08:32:12 PM »

I'm kind of looking for another excuse not to fog my outboard and just keep going out every 3 or 4 weeks for a troll in the salt in December and Jan. What do they bite out there?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2005, 03:05:49 AM »

With regards to the ever increasing crowd, I always wonder why so many salmon fishermen try the sports of steelheading.  Most of my salmon fishing partners stop for steelhead.  Many don't like the cold & the rain.  Most think it not worth their time to work for a elusive prey.  Some want to try, and in a season they drop out.  I am sure this is happening to many newer steelheaders.  The crowd gets thinner by March & April, as many newbies just quit after repeated trips of not even hooking into a steelie, and had to endure cold & rain for months.  Why then still so many guys want to try the crazy sport of steelheading every year?  Iron talked about all these guys at the Vedder who look like they didn'nt know what they were doing? Yet many of these guys were there to jam up the popular rivers, even on week day.  You cannot say they are meat fishermen, cause there is not really that much chance for some meat on any given steelheading day.  Are we missing something there?  Why do these guys even bother?  Some ones over-sell steelheading to these people?   ???
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 03:08:29 AM by funfish »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2005, 11:43:32 AM »

Well funfish, all I can say to that is, steelheading isn't like other salmon fishing!!!  You either have the will and desire to go out in those conditions, or you don't.  It is not even about getting a steely, it is about the anticipation of seeing the float go down, feeling the powerful headshakes.  That is a rush that you can't describe.  All the things that I 'm saying have already been posted in this thread, because these are the views of many steelheaders.  So, you either get it or you don't.  Personally, it think that there are a lot of guys out there that don't know what they are doing, but that is only because they are new.  Some of them will indeed figure it out and over time become a true steelheader as well.  A lot will not and give up!!!!  As for there being to many guys out on the river!!!!  Yeah there are a lot of guys, but did anyone ever notice that they are at the same holes that the crowd hits in salmon season.  I myself don't fish the main salmon honey holes that often in steely season.  I don't mind the people that much.  It is a hell of a lot better than salmon season anyways.  99% of the guys out there in steely season as far as I have seen, fish with a bit of etiquette.  So maybe steelheading is being over sold to the masses on websites such as this, but it is a free country, everyone deserves a chance to try anyways.  If they can handle it then good for them, if they can't, well, then I guess that they will just have to wait for the Fraser then!!!!! ;)

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »

Hey Nog,

I'm so surprised that your bud would take you, of all people, to all the meatholes. I would never do that to my buds. The Vedder is more than 30+ kms long and one should be able to fish in relative solitude.
We all yearn for the good old days but that's not reality. With more than 2 million people in the Lower Mainland you will have to get used to it or else quit. I wish I could still buy a house on Vancouver west side for $150,000 but that's never gonna happen. Life's hard, man, so get a helmet.
Consider yourself lucky to have your streams on the Island, but Vedder is my home river and I don't really have too much to complain about. Cheers.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »

Understand, BigSteel.  Thanks for your comment.  I know why hard-hosed steelheaders persist years after years.  I hope I qualify as one of them, having fished for the 'grey ghost' for 16 years now and hooking my fair share of steelies.  But we all know the realities of steelheading.  Hard work, by walking all day & endless number of casts for that elusive prey without a dip of the float, and enduring cold & rain of the winter months, with very few fish to show (for most newbies at least). Just not the kind of thing that will appeal to those fishermen that Nog has described seeing at the Vedder. Yet we see them swarm the popular holes at early season.  ???

Perhaps it is over-sold by some one. Not us at this site, I hope.  How often you hear about steelhead bonanza like salmon reports.  I am frank with my newbie salmon fishing partners about the reality, and they back off like drones.  Not too many have that hard-nosed steelheading blood in them. Why then, every year still so many newbies trying the sport with many showing very poor fishing ettiques.  Perhaps they are just too naive about steelheading and not prepared for its reality.  But you are right, it is a free country. Got to be thankful for this.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 07:01:39 PM by funfish »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2005, 01:34:03 AM »

Well, would I like to see less people on the river in steelhead season, yes!!!!  I would like to see less people on the river in all the seasons!!!!!  I think that this might be a hard year though.  With the poor returns in coho, for whatever reason, I fear that the steelhead population might be hit with the same fate!!!! I hope not, but that is what it looks like could happen.  If this does it could perhaps turn many people off of steelheading for good!!!!  While this would create more space and less pressure on the river, this could also start the steelhead into a downward spin!!!!!  Mind you this is all speculation for now, I hope that speculation is all it stays!!!! :P :P  Worst case scenario though, I'll still be out there every chance I can!!!!! ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »

It will be nice if steelies are going to be late this year like sox & ho. Less fishermen by March/April and lots of fish around.....steelhead fantasy!  ;D

Good luck to all in upcoming steelhead season.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »

Yeah that would be pretty good, but I wonder about that!!!!  Does anyone else have some fews on this?!?!?  Buck Perhaps!!!! ;D ;D

buck

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2005, 08:43:35 PM »

Big Steel

I just hope that steelhead survivals don't follow those of this years coho returns. Like the rest of the avid steelheaders I'm hoping it will be a good season. However, returns of other species this year have been poor which is not a good sign. Summer run returns to rivers in Washington State were poor as were returns to the Skeena system. One positive was the good reports from the Thompson.