Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346096 times)

ClayoquotKid

Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2085 on: January 12, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »

I am still here more ground shaking news to come. ;D ;D ;D

Hahahahahaha!

Wait, you're serious...

I'm having a hard time watching media spin speculative nonsense from a press release regarding a paper that specifically reported non-results in its findings.

No virus.

No disease.

All BS.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2086 on: January 12, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »

Hey chris,

Since you are in the story writing business how does this work.  I see that the same story is posted over and over by different agencys since you post them every time a story is repeated.  Does one person write the story and then sell it to the other media outlets?  How much does a story sell for?  could a story such as the one above be paid for by an outside organization and posted as a story? 

Just wondering since we always seem to see textbook examples of this from this thread from you.
Every news outlet be it print, radio or TV news monitor what others are writing or airing, you may get the same story with a different slant on it of course. When I freelanced for Global news I was told by another TV station they watched all the other stations news broadcasts, a very competitive business.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2087 on: January 12, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »

Hahahahahaha!

Wait, you're serious...

I'm having a hard time watching media spin speculative nonsense from a press release regarding a paper that specifically reported non-results in its findings.

No virus.

No disease.

All BS.
Keeping you on your toes and keeping you happy too. :D :D :D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2088 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »

Every news outlet be it print, radio or TV news monitor what others are writing or airing, you may get the same story with a different slant on it of course. When I freelanced for Global news I was told by another TV station they watched all the other stations news broadcasts, a very competitive business.

So competitive that they are willing to publish half truths and misinformation.

Could you answer these questions a bit more directly?

Does one person write the story and then sell it to the other media outlets?
Could a story such as the one above be paid for by an outside organization and posted as a story? 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #2089 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »

Keeping you on your toes and keeping you happy too. :D :D :D

Chris,

The anti-aquaculture mentality is like a tornado that keeps you aloft in a dizzy, repetitive blur.

As soon as you stick your head out of the echo-chamber and question even one little part of the poorly stitched quilt of BS people like Morton have crafted - you will be whisked out of the current and land softly back in the real world.

If you are comfortable being carried along by the emotional rhetoric so fondly embraced by the sacred crowd, I guess I can't really do anything about that - but, if you and the rest of the crew insist on chirping nonsense wrapped in pseudoscience from within the vortex I feel obligated to respond with the sunlight of reality.

I am really wondering how long anti-aquaculture activists can cry wolf before the people they are trying to convert outside any given supermarket on any given Sunday just tell them to F- off like they would any sign-waving member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Sorry not sorry, have a nice day.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2090 on: January 12, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »

So competitive that they are willing to publish half truths and misinformation.

Could you answer these questions a bit more directly?

Does one person write the story and then sell it to the other media outlets?
Could a story such as the one above be paid for by an outside organization and posted as a story?
Do not know, sorry.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2092 on: January 12, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »

Interesting statement in the post above.

The claim that there is risk of ISA in BC, Dunn said, is a grave one.

"ISA is very serious, [it's] an internationally reportable disease. If you detect ISA there are legislative and legal steps that you need to follow…there are hundreds if not thousands of tests on salmon in British Colombia…on a regular basis to ensure that there is no ISA. This is one of few farming regions that has not contracted ISA, and that’s incredibly important to the industry.”

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2093 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »

Chris, he's talking about ISA the disease, not the virus.  Even Morton says they have no evidence of finding the disease.  Try to keep up if you are going to post this stuff...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2094 on: January 12, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »

Chris, he's talking about ISA the disease, not the virus.  Even Morton says they have no evidence of finding the disease.  Try to keep up if you are going to post this stuff...
Something you may wish to listen too from, On The Coast on CBC. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/programs/onthecoast/evidence-of-a-deadly-salmon-virus-found-in-b-c-waters-study-suggests-1.3397827

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #2095 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:22 PM »

"ISA claims Rubbished"

http://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/news/isa-claims-rubbished/

"They also say that their own tests could not be duplicated and have not been confirmed by accepted international tests, and no disease was present. Moreover, the authors admit that “All virus isolation attempts on the samples were negative, and thus the samples were considered ‘negative’…”

"Furthermore, whether intentional or not, the authors blatantly lie about the facts. They state in the conclusion of the paper that the CFIA completed two years of ISAv surveillance in BC, but they did not test Atlantic farmed salmon…”

Morton repeats the lie on CBC.

They must have used the same primer to crank out the press release and speaking points as they used in the PCR testing...

It's craptastic science.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2096 on: January 12, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »

"ISA claims Rubbished"

http://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/news/isa-claims-rubbished/

"They also say that their own tests could not be duplicated and have not been confirmed by accepted international tests, and no disease was present. Moreover, the authors admit that “All virus isolation attempts on the samples were negative, and thus the samples were considered ‘negative’…”

"Furthermore, whether intentional or not, the authors blatantly lie about the facts. They state in the conclusion of the paper that the CFIA completed two years of ISAv surveillance in BC, but they did not test Atlantic farmed salmon…”

Morton repeats the lie on CBC.

They must have used the same primer to crank out the press release and speaking points as they used in the PCR testing...

It's craptastic science.
Thanks for the link.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #2097 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

Love how the Salmon Farmer rep in the CBC interview admitted that the virus was present but according to them had not caused any negative outcomes in their fish.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2098 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »

At least American born Doc Morton has stayed true to her fable form. :)
http://salmonfarmscience.com/2011/11/09/the-american-salmon-conspiracy/

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #2099 on: January 12, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »

Love how the Salmon Farmer rep in the CBC interview admitted that the virus was present but according to them had not caused any negative outcomes in their fish.

You mean the part where he clearly stated CFIA and OIE standard tests (which have been run in the thousands) have never shown the virus to be present in BC and where he expressed the fact that farmed salmon in BC have never shown any clinical signs of the disease or have experienced any mortality - and then Morton states right after that the CFIA is not testing farmed Atlantic salmon?

Like I said earlier, if you even lift your head slightly out of the BS vortex and, quite literally, question ANY of the things Morton says, you will quickly and effortlessly be transported back to scientifically supported reality.