Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346266 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1920 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:05 AM »

This is some very interesting info on salmon ranching in Alaska.  Many of the comparisons between salmon ranching in Alaska and salmon farming here in BC are absolutely staggering and really shows how massive and intense salmon ranching actually is. 

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/services/NAsept-oct-pgs14-15c.pdf

From the PFD:
Ranching introduces 250 times as many smolts, consumes 70 times as much feed to produce less than 10 times the volume of marketable salmon!
Whilst the salmon farming sector in BC has been subjected to scrutiny, vilification, political opportunism and uncertainty, salmon ranching has been allowed
to operate without constraint. Heavily subsidized by governments, and demonstrably less efficient in terms of feed conversion, ranching also creates intense competition for food to native wild salmon and is a real threat to the integrity of the gene pool of the wild fish – but it receives none of the scrutiny and negative publicity directed at salmon farming.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1921 on: December 09, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »

Alaska ranching uses open net pens also Rook. I hope your documentation is not from Doc Morton. Even Chris can not tell me what she has got right.

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2012/06/26/mortons-latest-error-dishonesty-or-ignorance/

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2011/10/11/signs-of-a-crank-recognizing-pseudoscience/
What she has done right? Well bringing awareness to the public of this threat to wild salmon here in BC has been very important.

Also just think, without her you and the PAP gang would not be the celebrities you are on FWR. Of course we only know the true names of Dave and his friend from Kamloops. ;D ;D ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1922 on: December 09, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »

The only thing that Doc Morton has made me aware of, is that she never gets anything right LOL. :)

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2013/12/19/junk-science-attack-on-processing-plant-gets-its-facts-totally-wrong/

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1923 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »

This is some very interesting info on salmon ranching in Alaska.  Many of the comparisons between salmon ranching in Alaska and salmon farming here in BC are absolutely staggering and really shows how massive and intense salmon ranching actually is. 

From the PFD:
Ranching introduces 250 times as many smolts, consumes 70 times as much feed to produce less than 10 times the volume of marketable salmon!
Whilst the salmon farming sector in BC has been subjected to scrutiny, vilification, political opportunism and uncertainty, salmon ranching has been allowed
to operate without constraint. Heavily subsidized by governments, and demonstrably less efficient in terms of feed conversion, ranching also creates intense competition for food to native wild salmon and is a real threat to the integrity of the gene pool of the wild fish – but it receives none of the scrutiny and negative publicity directed at salmon farming.

Wow! staggering numbers ... thanks for this aqua.
Chris I know you're far to busy for this so please pass this on Eddie, he might actually read it.

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #1924 on: December 09, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »

Wow! staggering numbers ... thanks for this aqua.
Chris I know you're far to busy for this so please pass this on Eddie, he might actually read it.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it's an interesting graph comparing Alaska's ranched releases and Fraser Sockeye runs:
https://salmonfarmscience.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/alaskareleasecomparison1.jpg
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:55:50 AM by ClayoquotKid »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1925 on: December 09, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

Would be nice to see the graph updated to 2015.  That would make 2010 and 2014 even more of an anomaly.

banx

« Reply #1926 on: December 09, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »

From the PFD:

I agree with the majority of this, and it brings up a point by that guy (UBC) in clayquotkids video.  about what we don't know what happens in the ocean and it's ability to produce enough food for what we are dumping in. both ranch, hatchery.

where I don't think its a fair comparison is saying that the end goal of ranching is producing 'marketable' salmon..... I definitely could be wrong cause I only read a few articles, but wasn't ranching embraced because both sporties and the commercial guys were benefiting?

also, the one huge plus of ranching as opposed to farming..... again I only read a few articles. was that these salmon return to rivers to try to spawn naturally.  If they are, then they are adding a significant amount of nutrients to the river during spawning and death.  as opposed to pooping all over the bottom in the same spot.

of course you could then argue that these ranched fish are screwing up the natural populations with interbreeding and resource competition. blaaaa  this issue makes me wanna crack a beer at 9 in the morning.

now imagine if we dumped all the money into habitat restoration instead of lawyers and commissions and lobbyists and advertising.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1927 on: December 09, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »

I agree with the majority of this, and it brings up a point by that guy (UBC) in clayquotkids video.  about what we don't know what happens in the ocean and it's ability to produce enough food for what we are dumping in. both ranch, hatchery.
now imagine if we dumped all the money into habitat restoration instead of lawyers and commissions and lobbyists and advertising.

Totally agree on both points banx.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1928 on: December 09, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »

where I don't think its a fair comparison is saying that the end goal of ranching is producing 'marketable' salmon..... I definitely could be wrong cause I only read a few articles, but wasn't ranching embraced because both sporties and the commercial guys were benefiting?

also, the one huge plus of ranching as opposed to farming..... again I only read a few articles. was that these salmon return to rivers to try to spawn naturally.  If they are, then they are adding a significant amount of nutrients to the river during spawning and death.  as opposed to pooping all over the bottom in the same spot.

of course you could then argue that these ranched fish are screwing up the natural populations with interbreeding and resource competition. blaaaa  this issue makes me wanna crack a beer at 9 in the morning.

I am on board with you there Banx. Its after 5:00, Cheers :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:38:02 PM by Fisherbob »

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1929 on: December 09, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »

I know that this disease is not ignored ,this being a serious threat to populations,wild and farmed.
The cohen report is hard to draw any conclusion from , this is becoming a dead horse to me, of course any conservation recommendations I am all for.The fact is NONE of them have been implemented and until the govt has the kahunas to institute these, they still remain recommendations and is only a start on the road to environmental responsibility.

The Alaska fish would be half wild , our own wild fish,unclipped coho ,IE, would be considered truly wild.Still like the idea of this ranching ,seems sustainable .
 I have lots of documentation to back up my opinions based on facts I have posted here .

Would you consider hatchery fish from a federal or provincial hatchery as "half wild"?  Like fish in federal hatcheries, ranched salmon are artificially propagated.  Are you saying that salmon farms artificially elevating IHN is a fact then? If it is a fact then please show me this documentation that says so.

salmonrook

« Reply #1930 on: December 10, 2015, 01:02:04 AM »

From the PFD:
The survival rate would be similar to that in a hatchery raised fish,and to boot ,it is consuming natural food after it leaves.
 You could also compare how much feed the farm raised consumes per fish throughout its 2 year cycle,whereas the ranched salmon, is only ranched for 1 year.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:06:22 AM by salmonrook »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #1931 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »

The survival rate would be similar to that in a hatchery raised fish,and to boot ,it is consuming natural food after it leaves.
 You could also compare how much feed the farm raised consumes per fish throughout its 2 year cycle,whereas the ranched salmon, is only ranched for 1 year.

As mentioned earlier the survival rate for Ranched salmon is much higher than regular hatchery smolts and fry because they are held so long to achieve the size that provides a high survival rate which is something most hatcheries have difficulty achieving due to lack of space.
Generally wild salmon covert 10/1 which is extremely high compared to farmed salmon.

http://seafood.oregonstate.edu/.pdf%20Links/Farmed%20or%20Wild%20-%20Both%20Types%20of%20Salmon%20taste%20Good%20and%20Are%20Good%20For%20You.pdf
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:05:52 AM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1934 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

Did you read this link Chris? Please explain how this has relevance to BC and Washington salmon farming practices.
A FF anywhere is still a FF. ??? ;D