Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346074 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1695 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »

Did you read when this story came out?  Didn't think so ;D  Also, if you were up to speed on this issue you would know in 2012 all Atlantic salmon sold at Costco were imported from Chile, and, that Kudoa has been present in wild salmon long before salmon farms started up in BC.
It is actually very common in Early Stuart sockeye.
Keeping the thread alive. ;D ;D ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1696 on: November 20, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »

More bad news for FF.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/parasite-ridden-salmon-sold-in-b-c-stores-1.864202

Why is it bad news? It's Costco. You can return anything there and get your money back.  :P

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1697 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »

"Kudoa can also survive long after the salmon is killed, and the parasite’s longevity is making it a widespread problem in B.C. Marine Harvest alone spent $12 million last year to clear out infected fish and provide refunds for tainted products, and there are estimates that Kudoa affects 20 to 50 per cent of all salmon farmed in the province.

The industry is currently studying the microscopic menace to protect farmed salmon, but experts say the greater risk is the impact the parasite could have on fish in the wild."

Scientist extraordinaire  Steve see's no problem hears no problem taste's no problem. Read his recipe book for more tasty tidbits.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1698 on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »

"Kudoa can also survive long after the salmon is killed, and the parasite’s longevity is making it a widespread problem in B.C. Marine Harvest alone spent $12 million last year to clear out infected fish and provide refunds for tainted products, and there are estimates that Kudoa affects 20 to 50 per cent of all salmon farmed in the province.

The industry is currently studying the microscopic menace to protect farmed salmon, but experts say the greater risk is the impact the parasite could have on fish in the wild."

Scientist extraordinaire  Steve see's no problem hears no problem taste's no problem. Read his recipe book for more tasty tidbits.
Who are the experts they are talking about TB? Seems to me that "Kudos" comes from the wild and can transfer to the farm. So yes, more study needs to be done to see the affect on the wild. We seem to learn more about the wild salmon by farming than from Doc Morton who has done nothing to save them. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 12:36:02 PM by Fisherbob »

salmonrook

« Reply #1699 on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »

If they are so far ahead of the curve then why are they apparently experiencing more issues with sea lice than they are here? What do you understand about aquaculture other than what you get from Morton or the website you attached earlier? What do you understand about the management of sea lice on BC fish farms?  Do you know how and when SLICE is administered? Do you know what is involved in monitoring sea lice levels and how surveys are designed? Would it not be a good idea to be up to speed on this stuff first before announcing sea lice epidemics and impending catastrophe?

Have you seen this website already? That would be a start.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/reporting-rapports/lice-pou-eng.html

You keep saying about "preserving our own wild stocks which are being affected", but what are all the factors that potentially impact wild salmon, what have we learned so far about each and what is there left to find out?  There was a 26 million report put out in 2012 called the Cohen Report which addressed all these issues, looked at the evidence to date, made findings and came up with recommendations. Read what Cohen says about the sea lice and it's impact on Fraser Sockeye declines. Seriously, Google the document from Watershed Watch Salmon Society and read what they say about sea lice as well as other factors.  It seems many here agree with Cohen's recommendations and are demanding that they be implemented, but I highly suspect few here have actually taken the time to read it other than to read filtered and edited versions (i.e. Salmonconfidential) from notable activists. If people are so passionate about saving wild salmon then they should at least take the time to read the report, especially Volume 2: Decline Related Evidence and Findings.
The European industry is so much more expanded than ours .
 I'm not the person who keeps mentioning where my info comes from , its you. Its great that people keep this issue current ,relevant and in the news because if not the industry would prefer to sweep everything the ,err, pen .
 Sea lice are a problem ,we don't how these levels affect juvenile salmon ,that's the problem here,we do know they affected pink salmon in the early 2000's.
   We shouldn't be sticking our collective heads in the sand on this ,just monitoring it closely .
 Have come across these DFO reports before,fairly statistical and most of the recommendations are mentioned.However it looks like the fish farms try to minimize the sea lice levels by either harvesting ,sea water entry or Slice. Minimizing , of course is a good thing
  A quote
   " Threshold reached and harvesting initiated end of February and completed in May. On day of the audit the difference between DFO count and farm count was statistically significant. The licence-holder is taking steps to determine and correct the problem. Harvesting*"
  Hopefully   DFO will do more  and that includes not  minimizing their reporting and personnel . Hopefully the new govt will be more transparent

Have read the Cohen report , have a copy saved on my laptop ,thanks .Of course people  are demanding recommendations be implemented and they should be .You seem to think that no one else understands all the issues here. I do and that's why I am speaking out which in this country is a given right .
  As for the activists, they have a valuable place keeping the issue current and relevant ,but prefer to have my own sources thanks.
  I do have faith that people will do the right thing ,re preserving wild stocks and will continue to be outspoken of this .
  I don't understand with all the issues FF have  how anyone could blindly  support them .

salmonrook

« Reply #1700 on: November 20, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »

More bad news for FF.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/parasite-ridden-salmon-sold-in-b-c-stores-1.864202
Some  Co workers had this on their BBQ when the parasites came out ,pretty unappetizing .
Spoke to a Costco buyer once ,they have pretty high standards for purchasing ,hopefully with the proper response it wouldn't affect their reputation for good quality products .

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1701 on: November 20, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »

Some  Co workers had this on their BBQ when the parasites came out ,pretty unappetizing .
It wasn't kudoa parasites that came out of the flesh sr, most likely some species of nematode. Kudoa causes areas of soft flesh and is only noticed after the death of the fish.  Although most certainly un appetizing it is harmless to humans. FN fishers at Fort St. James often found this parasite in sockeye that been left too long in gill nets in Stuart Lake. I know this because I took the samples and had them flown to the PBS for expert analysis.

Here is a bit more info on what BC is doing about this problem.

http://www.cahs-bc.ca/kudoa-mitigation-initiative-project

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1702 on: November 20, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »

It wasn't kudoa parasites that came out of the flesh sr, most likely some species of nematode. Kudoa causes areas of soft flesh and is only noticed after the death of the fish.  Although most certainly un appetizing it is harmless to humans. FN fishers at Fort St. James often found this parasite in sockeye that been left too long in gill nets in Stuart Lake. I know this because I took the samples and had them flown to the PBS for expert analysis.

Here is a bit more info on what BC is doing about this problem.

http://www.cahs-bc.ca/kudoa-mitigation-initiative-project
Thank you Dave. You and Steve put up great links that put doom and gloom prophecies to rest, but still under the eyes of the "real" experts. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:54:51 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1703 on: November 20, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »

Spoke to a Costco buyer once ,they have pretty high standards for purchasing ,hopefully with the proper response it wouldn't affect their reputation for good quality products .
  I have been told that fishy smelling and pale looking fish on the store counter has simply been on the shelf too long, or on the shelf at home too long. That is not the grower or the fishermans fault. It would be the stores or the buyers fault.  IMO. That my friends is why we are told not to squeeze the charmin. The store prefers that you test it at home after you buy it lol. :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:41:10 PM by Fisherbob »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1704 on: November 20, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »

Thank you Dave. You and Steve put up great links that put doom and gloom prophecies to rest, but still under the eyes of the "real" experts. :)
Your welcome ;)
I should have added more information perhaps … this soft flesh issue was a biggie for the Tl’azt’en First Nation back in the early 90’s.   The women (men never fished) would set their nets out during the day, in Stuart Lake, often in water temperatures in the high teens, low twenties.  They would check the nets the next day, or sometimes not till the day after… this of course was optimum conditions for all sorts of tissue breakdowns, including obvious signs of kudoa, fungus, bacterial infections, etc.
These FN fishers were angry and blaming DFO for “mismanagement” but I and the Aboriginal Fisheries Strategy officer of the day, Barry Huber, along with the expert disease advice from the Pacific Biological Station, were able to convince these fishers that if they harvested their fish sooner and more often, the disease problems would disappear.  They did listen, checked their nets more often and a possible negative DFO newspaper story was averted.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1705 on: November 20, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »

No need for being a scientist extraordinaire - just need to be willing to look past your nose. Up to the challenge?

Not sure why we are beating this dead horse again, but Kudoa is already widespread through many wild fish species. Capture fisheries have been dealing with this for years already.  Kudoa is found in fish sold already in stores in the processed form, but critics don't really talk about it; instead, falsely labelling it as a fish farm problem which threatens wild fish. Need to add the proper context to this and not ignore the larger picture, but scaring the public with misinformation and half truths seems to be the route of many fish farm critics these days.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1706 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »

The European industry is so much more expanded than ours.
But not as regulated as in BC.

I'm not the person who keeps mentioning where my info comes from , its you. Its great that people keep this issue current ,relevant and in the news because if not the industry would prefer to sweep everything the ,err, pen .
 Sea lice are a problem ,we don't how these levels affect juvenile salmon ,that's the problem here,we do know they affected pink salmon in the early 2000's.
   We shouldn't be sticking our collective heads in the sand on this ,just monitoring it closely.
Well, where are you getting your information from? Pretty direct question for you. Not sure how fish farm critics are providing such a valuable service when their information is without proper context, sometimes exaggerated, mostly inaccurate, only half true at times and often not relevant, but to each their own.  You seem to contradict yourself when you say that sea lice is a problem, but then in the next sentence that we don't know how these levels affect juvenile salmon....then back again saying that we know they affect Pink salmon in the early 2000s.  Which is it?  Well, actually we do know some, but industry critics do not say the whole story and ignore relevant investigations like Cohen that looked into the impact of sea lice on Fraser Sockeye declines. If you had read your copy of the Cohen Report you would have noticed that we could use more information, but it likely is not the sole or primary factor in wild salmon declines.

Have come across these DFO reports before,fairly statistical and most of the recommendations are mentioned.However it looks like the fish farms try to minimize the sea lice levels by either harvesting ,sea water entry or Slice. Minimizing , of course is a good thing
  A quote
   " Threshold reached and harvesting initiated end of February and completed in May. On day of the audit the difference between DFO count and farm count was statistically significant. The licence-holder is taking steps to determine and correct the problem. Harvesting*"
  Hopefully   DFO will do more  and that includes not  minimizing their reporting and personnel . Hopefully the new govt will be more transparent
Again, maybe you need to understand what is done, how it is done and why it is done instead of speculating.

Have read the Cohen report , have a copy saved on my laptop ,thanks .Of course people  are demanding recommendations be implemented and they should be .You seem to think that no one else understands all the issues here. I do and that's why I am speaking out which in this country is a given right.
You are fully entitled to your opinion just as I am.

As for the activists, they have a valuable place keeping the issue current and relevant ,but prefer to have my own sources thanks.
  I do have faith that people will do the right thing ,re preserving wild stocks and will continue to be outspoken of this .
  I don't understand with all the issues FF have  how anyone could blindly  support them.
Funny, I don't understand how anyone could have blind support for anti-fish farm activists.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1707 on: November 21, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »

Not sure why we are beating this dead horse again, 

So you would read it for a change, instead of being preoccupied about another long winded but personally affected response Dr Extraordinaire.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1708 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:02 AM »

So you would read it for a change, instead of being preoccupied about another long winded but personally affected response Dr Extraordinaire.
No, I just read it because it's funny to see some grasping for whatever manufactured controversy or conspiracy they can find.