Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346050 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1635 on: November 06, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »

Good news for sure but fwiw I don't believe Steve was ever asked to keep his thoughts to himself as his managers are far brighter than that, but if he was, good on him for speaking out anyway and informing the general public on fisheries issues.

This site and the others he frequents owe him a big thanks during this so called silence regime :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1636 on: November 07, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »

Good news for sure but fwiw I don't believe Steve was ever asked to keep his thoughts to himself as his managers are far brighter than that, but if he was, good on him for speaking out anyway and informing the general public on fisheries issues.

This site and the others he frequents owe him a big thanks during this so called silence regime :D
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/06/muzzles-removed-for-federal-scientists-at-department-of-fisheries-and-oceans.html?utm_source=Watershed+Watch+Email+List&utm_campaign=a86a039202-Salmon_News_Nov_6_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_405944b1b5-a86a039202-166912013

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1637 on: November 07, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »

Thanks Chris. Now we can hear from "real scientists" and just not from people doing dog science looking for hand outs. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1638 on: November 07, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »

Thanks Chris. Now we can hear from "real scientists" and just not from people doing dog science looking for hand outs. :)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/krist-miller-scientist-dfo-muzzled-1.3308549
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:39:01 AM by chris gadsden »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1639 on: November 07, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:35:02 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1640 on: November 07, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »

Cheers Chris. It looks like it is Miller Time again lol:)

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/scientist-says-fish-farms-may-not-affect-wild-salmon-1.1025956
The date 2011, may make some us a bit supicious. ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1641 on: November 07, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »

The date 2011, may make some us a bit supicious. ;)
You're always suspicious when things don't go the way you wanted them to ;)
Since 2011 lots has happened including near record runs of fish, disasters like warm ocean temperatures, and a massive toxic algal bloom.  Kristi Miller also got married!
Let the dust settle, let scientists do their stuff and perhaps disregard most of the media crap that is about to come down ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1643 on: November 10, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »

http://www.cheknews.ca/drought-causes-salmon-shortage-for-island-first-nations-121748/
Glad they are not interested in FF fish.

I remember in the 1940, 50 and before that Cowichan Bay teemed with chinook, chum and coho salmon.

My family always got their winter supply of fish there as well.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1644 on: November 10, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »

Glad they are not interested in FF fish

They seem to like to farm their own. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1645 on: November 10, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »

Glad they are not interested in FF fish.

I remember in the 1940, 50 and before that Cowichan Bay teemed with chinook, chum and coho salmon.

My family always got their winter supply of fish there as well.
If your family did I suspect others did so as well.  I wonder if that, along with the massive loss of riverine and estuarine habitat in the Cowichan River watershed has any bearing on fewer fish now  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1646 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »

If your family did I suspect others did so as well.  I wonder if that, along with the massive loss of riverine and estuarine habitat in the Cowichan River watershed has any bearing on fewer fish now  ::)
And commercial fishery came into this area as well, also they built a lumber mill there in the estuary, all have there effect. One of the biggest problems that remains to this day is the intake for the pipeline for the Croften Pulp Mill that draws a lot of water out of the Cowichan River, even more serious in these days of dry summers we have. I have been told fry and smolts were at one time sucked into the pipe ending up at the Mill, although I could not prove that.

I spent many enjoyable mornings there mooching with plug cut herring for chinook salmon in the fifties and sixties at the Bay. Those days I worked out of an old leaky row boat, those were, the days. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1649 on: November 12, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »

Too bad these FN leaders don't follow the science that has been so readily available regarding salmon population declines this past year.
There is so much information regarding this subject these people seem to miss or perhaps just gloss over.  I find this sad as I worked with many FN communities and this disconnect just makes them look incompetent in news stories like this one.