Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 41948 times)

Phronesis

It's coming, everything has been in the work with Tourism Chilliwack and DFO, just taking awhile to finish unfortunately. Hopefully the end of this week before Thanksgiving.

That would be awesome ! I will share that video in all the groups

Kever

I fished mid-river Friday, I also noticed it was quite busy in some spots but I managed to find some less pressured water and had fun.  Couple bites in the morning, then more fish pushed through in the afternoon and I got some hookups and fish landed, especially after changing to another colour of roe and increasing my leader length from 12 inches to 18 inches, as the water was clear. 

roeman

I am shocked at how many flossers are out there. Used to be you would see the odd one and you could try to educate.  Yesterday I was on a run where I saw at least  a dozen guys with 8 -10 ft leaders below their mainline of 3ft.  This was in 3 - 4ft of water.  Would have needed a bull horn to educate.  Frustrating as hell! >:( >:( >:(
What is really shocking is people that are shocked on fishing styles on the river.  Go to Tamahi this weekend and watch what happens there.  Amazed how people can stand on one rock and cast over and over in the same piece of water for a 3 second drift. 
Wish they would change the regs, once you kill your limit you can't fish anymore.  Have a seasonal limit that must be marked on your license for all salmon spieces. I know there are enforcement issues and people can print more that one license but at least its somewhere to start.. That would open up some room for others to actually enjoy fishing.
Are you fishin or catchin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Guys are not marking their licences now, what makes you think they're going to mark for seasonal limits ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

There's a lot of coho in the river right now... at a lot of runs where there are no one around lol... Getting them to bite is another story, but I managed to release three really nice wild coho this morning while everyone else is down at the crowded spots. There are also still quite a few active pink salmon in the river. Half a dozen grabbed the spoon while fishing for coho salmon this morning. The bulk of chinook salmon that I saw last week in the same runs all disappeared today. The coho fishing will only get better in the coming weeks. Exciting!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Still a good abundance of clean, fresh chinook salmon in the river right now.

Coho salmon abundance continues to be there, landing the right ones remains a different story. One wild made it into the net this, while losing four in a row this evening.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Save some for me Friday

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I'll even tape off an area and put up "reserved" signs just for you... ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

I'll even tape off an area and put up "reserved" signs just for you... ;D

What a guy ! Don't want to impose but a lawn chair and a cup of Tim Horton's coffee would be nice. Just plain black please. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

So maybe bring lawn chair down there at 4am and keep coffee in thermos so it stays warm until first light?

Jacobleboe

The amount of people that are flossing fish is insane. Pretty much most people I see rip their rods at the end of every drift. Also there are a lot of people killing a lot more fish than they should. Saw one old guy with about 8 coho last weekend, a lot of people were yelling at him but he didn’t seem to care. Although I did quite well in a more crowded area landing 2 hatchery coho drifting a bead the proper way. Lots of fish out there, the crowds are just something I’ve learned to put up with now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I returned at first light to the same run where I lost four last night and had the run all to myself for at least an hour. Once again, no shortage of fish in the water, and the spoon was chased down, but six were lost in a row before one hatchery coho finally got beached. Some of the lost coho were rather silvery and massive... 😫

Phronesis

No more chinooks entering the river? Or just a few?

psd1179

• Old Timer

Why can't I find fish? all run to myself. did not see much fish moving through.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

Will be out there tomorrow morning I've been to the vedder twice this week ( way more then usual) with decent success I've been seeing quite a few springs still in the lower river.