Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Vancouver Salt Report, Oct. 10, 2005  (Read 1101 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
New Vancouver Salt Report, Oct. 10, 2005
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:53:52 AM »

hi guys.

I had this emailed to me last night.

I was watching the scene OCT 8 from Ambleside and saw 50 boats fishing Ambleside near noon. Saw several coho jump too. I could see 3 springs hooked and landed. Saw a guy take a swing by a drop off, and hook a Coho and lose it.

here's the report emailed to me from a local operator...

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver  To : Saltwater Angler

Hello Fellow Anglers

The Capilano fall Chinook fishery began early, and became extremely hot by late September.  Before the rains hit on September 29th, anglers dragging whole herring or anchovies just off the bottom were often getting hits numbering into the double digits during a tide, and landing good numbers of fish ranging from the low teens into the high 30's.  It really was quite spectacular for a few days, as it was the first time in a few years where I was landing 6 to 8 Chinook per day on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, rain hit early and very hard.  The torrential downpour we had on September 29th was enough to raise the river substantially, and by the 30th, the Capilano river was stacked with bright chrome Chinook - the river anglers were having a field day!

Luckily these were just the early fish (many were our "August reds"), and more have been arriving since that first rain, but relatively wet weather has allowed fish to continue entering the river over the past week.  Fortunately more fish still continue to arrive, and the fishing off the mouth of the river has remained good, though not as spectacular as it was in late September.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a stretch of dry weather here in the middle portion of October (it is kind of looking like it will occur) as the really large fish have not arrived yet (the 40's and 50's......I've only heard of a couple legitimate 41 lb fish).  This fishery often extends well into the later stages of October, and has even be decent into early November in past years.  Some drier weather coupled with the fact that many runs have been late arriving along the BC Coast this year could still provide us with some great fishing off the Capilano in late October/early November.

There should also be fish out off the mouth of the Fraser River, but few anglers have been venturing out that way due to the good fishing of the Capilano.  Some Chinook, and Coho should be available, and the Chums should be starting to arrive in good numbers (there has been the odd one off the Capilano).

Some anglers have also been successful fishing in Howe Sound for "Winter Chinook" (feeders) already, and this fishery will just continue to get stronger in the coming weeks.  Tunstall Bay, the Waterfall, and Hutt Island are the most popular spots, but Twin Islands and Salmon Rk. are also very good producers.  Last winter the Flamin' Hans Gypsy spoon and the Purple Haze hootchie were the hot tickets during this fishery, but it typically changes a bit from year to year.  Other spoons colours to try would be the Punk Skunk, Paddy Wagon, and glow army truck.  Hootchies in army truck, green/yellow or blue/green have been quite productive in past years.  Bait (anchovies or herring strip) is another viable option as are small 4" Tomic Plugs in green/yellow or blue/green colour patterns (#171 has been the best colour in recent years), and Glitter Strip is another productive winter lure to try.  With winter Chinook, trolling just off the bottom in 100 to 200 feet of water is always your best option for consistent results.

A friend also managed to land a 15 lb Halibut in Tunstall Bay about a week ago.  It may be just a coincidence, but add in the 19 lb Hali taken at Hole in the Wall this past August, and the 50 lb taken at Davis Bay this summer (along with reports of 2 or 3 more between Davis Bay and Gower Point), and we may be finally seeing the start of a local Halibut fishery after it was decimated by commercial efforts many decades ago.  All these fish that were taken were "by accident" by anglers targeting salmon in relatively shallow water, and it has me wondering what would happen if a guy was to actually target them with Halibut gear in their typical 300 foot range (say off Gower Pt.).  It is something to ponder.........

If you are interested in doing a charter for the Capilano's fall Chinook, I am still fairly open after mid-October.  Though I have yet to give it a whirl this fall, the winter fishery is my favorite time of year to fish, and I am looking forward to targeting these prime fish shortly.  If you wish to try it in October, I would be happy to head off into Howe Sound instead of to the Capilano, but I'll likely really start fishing for feeder Chinook in November.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report.  If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint