Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions...more Roe etc. questions???  (Read 2917 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Questions...more Roe etc. questions???
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:10:57 PM »

1. When your doing your roe sacks do you put the little foam pills in yours??? I have a couple bags of different colors and have debated on this...
2. With the rivers looking cloudy like they are, How many eggs do you use? (Mainly chum eggs is all I have, so normally I use three but wonder if bigger might be better)
3. I have a pretty light steelhead rod, Lamiglass 8 to 10lb..I've brought in some brutish chums with it so it can take a load...but what's the scoop on the Gloomis rods? can't remember the number but it's on Berrys site, pretty big bucks but less then the sage...also the st.Croix rod for a couple bills in a 10-20lb size..Is that too much rod and is there any love for that one???
4. What color patterns are you guys using for your jigs now on the Vedder???
5. one other one quick...I have the "fernie" vest from freds..man I hate that thing, it hangs like a stone on me...don't know if I just got a poor fit on mine or if any other vest is more comfortable?? any help??

Ok, I've got nearly zip for gear now...(one rod/reel) and I've cracked or the light has gone on..whatever happened...The fly rod will have it's time, but it's not now...Guess I got a lesson on what steelhead fishing really looks like and what I was doing wasn't covering near the water and was not effective... :'(  So, I'm coming out lean and mean for the new year...I'm on the hunt!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:35:46 PM by Xgolfman »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Questions...more Roe etc. questions???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »

questions

#1 - No styrofoam some poeple use it i dont
#2 - I have 5-7 Eggs
#3 - No idea
#4 - Purple/blue/pink/white I dont use them but ihave seen allot of these colours form others people using them

;D

Thanks, FF... ;D  I added another question..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:36:09 PM by Xgolfman »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »

Don't even bother taking the eggs off the Skeens.  Just cut differnet sized (quarter to nickel sized) chunks and tie them up in the spawn sacks.  That is how I do it anyways.  Or get some decent sized single eggs from a shop and use between 3-5 per bag.   I never use those foam thingys in with the roe sacks!! As for the Rod's Loomis has some nice ones, but give the Frontiers a looksy as well.  They are Loomis's with just a different name.  Cheaper as well.  (Loomis makes the rods for Frontier, or something along those lines.)
  As for jigs, I picked a couple up, the BentRod ones, and man, they are nice jigs.  I was using a Silver head, with a Purple/pinks fluffy body.  I think that white/pink would also be good, but get a bunch of different color combos, cause well, you just never know what they will take.  If I missed something, well......  You know where I am.   ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »

I've heard a LOT of good things about the jigs...i'll bring some up that I picked up next time up...no wonder I hate my vest...I pack everything in that sucker...and 2:40 gave me a fish priest and that sucker weighs a lot for aluminum... :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »

I agree with BS. Dont take the eggs off. Use quarter to loonie sized roe sacks when the water is crappy and in clearer conditions use nickle sized. I would just buy the water hardened eggs and make them into sacs. I always use 5 eggs in a sac. It has to be an odd number.

This is my second year using jigs. I got 4 steelhead using them last year. My go to color is pink/white. Got one on today using the pink/white combination ( lost the fish though :( ) and got a dolly ( landed the dolly ) using a pink/white tipped with some shrimp today as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:36:28 PM »

Xgm,

Travelling light is the way to go when steelheading.  If I feel that I will be doing a lot of searching/walking, I won't even bring a vest.  Just the essentials: pre-tied gooeys/worms/blades/corkie-wool ties, floats, pre-cut weights or split shots, extra leader and extra hooks. I always wear a bait box cause that's what I usually start with but the last few years, I've brought along a baitcaster setup just to quickly follow up a run that I worked over with bait.  The key is to maximize your time and cover tons of water.  This year I have some new things to try out which I am totally excited about and will share info if they work with any success.     

I try....I try...but whatever comes out seems to be replaced by something else...I think I just gotta take everything out and go with the basics...If any of the vests just had a padded collar like a fly vest it would make a huge difference...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »

I don't use those foam pills in my roe bag. I like to use 4-6 eggs depending on their size. As to jigs I tie them myself and have hooked steelheads on a variety of colours.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:17:16 PM »

I own one of the Frontier Rods. Beautiful rods, I actually returned a GL3 for the frontier, and glad I did. Rated 12-17 I believe, and have used it on chums and coho alike with great results.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote