Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken rod tip warranty wait time  (Read 7909 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Broken rod tip warranty wait time
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »

Just wondering if my wait time is excessive to get my broken tip back.

So September 12th of this year I was chucking weighted flies for pinks. Did a crap cast and smacked my rod tip pretty good with the head of the fly. Sure enough a couple fish later it snapped :o

I geared up and brought it right to the local store where I bought it. Staff member said no problem we'll send it off, you'll just have to pay a deductible when it comes back ($50 I think). I asked about how long to get it back. Staff member said volume of warranty claims is up this time of year so it'll be a bit longer than usual, no less than a month but likely no more than 2 months. I got my copy of the claim check (still have it) and that was it.

I went back in about mid November (over 2 months since dropped off) and was like...by chance do you guys have my tip and forgot to call me? Same guy was working and he assured me nope, not in, and we always make sure to call the person right away when a warranty return arrives. He more or less (politely) gave me the old...it'll be here when it gets here talk...

Well, we are now going on 4 months! I'm getting pretty peeved off >:( If I would have known I was going to be this long without my (only) spey rod I would have immediately started looking for a used back up as soon I shipped the tip off.

Any advice anyone? If it matters the rod is a Reddington spey rod. I just can't for the life of me fathom why it would take them so long to get a customer back a rod tip :o

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Broken rod tip warranty wait time
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »

Sage warranty is known to take a while, usually 2 months is the norm.  I understand you are talking Redington here but Farbanks Enterprises is the group that owns Sage, Redington and Rio so I wouldn't be surprised if Redington rod warranty is similar to Sage.

If I were you I would try a couple things.
One make sure the rod tip got there in the first place.
Two if it has made it there, see if your shop can update you as to what is going on.
Three if the same guy is working and doesn't answer your questions, find out if there is someone above him and ask to speak with them.

I think its way to long to go without someone telling you whats going on, try those and see what happens.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:28:43 AM »

Ya, 4 months is way to long.
Have your paper work ready first and give Reddington a call as Clarkii suggested.
Don't go over the top POed.
I had to wait almost 2 months for my Sage fix but I had a spare.
Good luck.

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »

Wow....I'd be peaved too if it had taken 4 months.

My Sage 5wt fly rod tip took 10 weeks. I was told that 6-8 weeks was the norm when I dropped it off. After 9 weeks I called the store and they said they would call and find out why the long wait....got it back a week later.

The shop should at least contact the source and find out what is up for you.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »

4 months is waaay too long and inexcusable.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »

Although your rod is a Reddington, Sage and Reddington warranties are dealt with by the same company (Farbank Enterprises). I have dealt with Sage twice with broken rods, once direct (6weeks) and once through a shop (8weeks). From talking with others,  6-8weeks seems to be the average so I would say four months is too long. Especially considering with a Sage they are made in house so they will roll and build a new section from scratch if they don't have one made up, but Reddingtons are made offshore so they just replace. I do know this time can be a busy time of year there and I was told on the phone by them that they open and deal with broken rods in the order they come in and sometimes they are so backlogged that a rod that arrives may sit for four weeks before it gets to its turn to open and process.

joshhowat

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »

Lol sounds like a classic case of a Freds staff member talking out of there butt.

Sorry for the loss of the rod. I don't go to Fred's anymore because of same sorta thing. Needed depth finder for a trip three weeks away. Said it would be in a week. Two weeks later not there.

Went to Michael & young and got the depth finder the same week and have never looked back. I will drive past Freds to micheal and Youngs for all my gear now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:43:00 PM by joshhowat »
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try to contact Reddington 1st and see what they have to say. I doubt I'll get anywhere with it, but it seems reasonable to me that for waiting 4 months (so far!) I should not have to pay the deductible. Can't hurt to try. From here I'll try the shop where I bought it (don't want to slag them on this forum, as generally they are quite good to me) and see if they can make some calls.

I think I'll start looking for a back up rod too. I'm going to generally avoid chucking flys with weighted heads from now on. I find they are harder to cast and if you smack your tip - look out! I have a better selection of tips now and I find generally I can get to whatever depth I need with the right tip. If I bust another tip down the road I want to transition right to back up rod and screw this waiting forever for warranty replacement nonsense.

On that note...if anyone has a spey rod they want to sell similar-ish what I have lemme know:

13"6
8wt
Rated to chuck I believe 575-625g head (I use and like 600gr)
I would like to stick to something similar so my head and tips work with it.
Sage, Gloomis etc way out off my price range for a spare rod. Looking for more like another Reddington, Echo, or similar.

joshhowat

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

Get a echo solo for a back up. Super cheap and tuff with good warrenty
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Daguru

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »

Take a look at what Amundson has to offer for a backup, they are local and warantys are usally the same day when u bring ur Rod directly to them. Amundson rods are pretty average with nothing special. But waranty is fast and gets the job done
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:03:12 AM by Daguru »

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:22 PM »

Look at an Echo Classic new if price is not out of your range.  Echo Rods are the best value for money, and the warranty is probably the best in the business.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:00:06 AM »

Reddington is made in the Orient. If they don't have a tip in stock it can take a while to get one. M&Y has their own warehouse in Blaine and they broker their inventory themselves which speeds things up considerably.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »

Lol sounds like a classic case of a Freds staff member talking out of there butt.

Sorry for the loss of the rod. I don't go to Fred's anymore because of same sorta thing. Needed depth finder for a trip three weeks away. Said it would be in a week. Two weeks later not there.

Haha is it bad I was thinking the same thing?

Took a waist pack in on warranty in May... still haven't gotten it back. I've given up on it and assume I'm not getting it back at this point.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »

If anyone is not happy with the service at Fred's I suggest you talk to the man himself.  There has been a huge turn around of staff recently and Fred is aware of the problems that have occurred while he was away.  I do the rod repairs and builds for Fred's Custom Tackle and am in the store every day and, I have personally seen him right many wrongs in the past 2 weeks. 
Give him a chance to fix your problem and I bet you leave the store satisfied.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »

Thanks guys. I sent Redington an email today. Been busy this week and had no time to call earlier. Figured Xmas eve day they're probably closed and if open who wants to talk to some guy phoning on the 24th?! :o Best to email. I'll report back if I get anywhere with Redington.

Found a used Echo DH 9136, 13"6, 9wt, for sale online. A bit more than I want to spend but I msgd the guy and made him an offer. It's just going to be my backup rod so don't want to drop a lot of cash, esp around Xmas when my cash flow is drying up!!