Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead are on the way now...  (Read 7919 times)

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
Steelhead are on the way now...
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »

We all know steelhead is coming now to Vedder and Chehalis rivers.. However, my question is a bit more direct..

Is the Inchcreek hatchery releasing the steelheads to the Suicide Norrish system? I know they have them there as a fry in the concrete pens, but will some return to Norrish river? I'm not sure if they just take the Dewdny channel on the way out to the sea... that way they probably don't see the Norrish at all. But the water they use in the hatchery must smell the same, as it is Norrish water also used in the pens for the spawning.

I still see some Cohos in there but they are ending pretty soon I think. We don't need to catch anymore darkies or tomatoes colored fish. LOL

So can you get a steelhead in the Norrish if even by some small chance?

Thanks, MrGrey1
MrGrey1

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead are on the way now...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:18:12 PM »

geez what's the next topic? Sunshine coast creeks? Some systems can't handle the pressure that a post like this could potentially create. Better to do some research via google or maybe look into which hatcheries do what, even call them to find out. There are some programs online out there that you can look up different bodies of waters to see which species of fish are found in them...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:45 PM »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »

geez what's the next topic? Sunshine coast creeks? Some systems can't handle the pressure that a post like this could potentially create. Better to do some research via google or maybe look into which hatcheries do what, even call them to find out. There are some programs online out there that you can look up different bodies of waters to see which species of fish are found in them...

I know, seriously... wow guys.

azafai

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »

ok, let us talk abut Vedder.   How is fishing there?  

If a system is that vulnerable and that small talk about that with friends in person only, or go give that hatchery a visit and ask your question there.

How is fishing in Vedder these days?  any success?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:55:35 PM by azafai »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »

I know, seriously... wow guys.

Wow... Guys... Why don't people get that there will always be people who don't get it? ;)

The entire angling community is made up of individuals at all skill levels. Some are very experienced, while majority are just getting into it. The ones who are just getting into it will not be aware of the sensitivity of some fisheries. They should, but don't be surprised or shocked if they don't. It is a learning process, which all of us have been through. These questions will always pop up again and again on all discussion forums, and it is up to you experienced anglers to ensure your concerns are understood by educating others without being condescending and pushing people away. By making a big deal out of it, you are in fact drawing more attention to it as if it is some big secret gold mind people have not discovered.

I always agree with the messages, just think the delivery of them should be worked on.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 12:15:54 AM by Rodney »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »

I agree Rodney, it's not really the question that's being asked as most have been asked already. It's more of a race to get an educated reply before another "greener" angler blurps out something that they know, but don't fully understand what they could potentially create or do. Fishing forums have changed a bit, before it was the skilled and seasoned anglers would just bash and belittle the newer anglers. Now they've realized that approach doesn't work (as I know  ;)) and a better approach is to try to guide them to the info by showing them how to gather pieces to get the answer they're looking for.

I wonder why MrGrey1 came here to ask this question though when he's so active on another forum.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »

Vedder is bad go fish a small creek  ::)

just kidding.
Tight lines to all

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

There is no hatchery program on the norrish for steel

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »

We all know steelhead is coming now to Vedder and Chehalis rivers.. However, my question is a bit more direct..

Is the Inchcreek hatchery releasing the steelheads to the Suicide Norrish system? I know they have them there as a fry in the concrete pens, but will some return to Norrish river? I'm not sure if they just take the Dewdny channel on the way out to the sea... that way they probably don't see the Norrish at all. But the water they use in the hatchery must smell the same, as it is Norrish water also used in the pens for the spawning.

I still see some Cohos in there but they are ending pretty soon I think. We don't need to catch anymore darkies or tomatoes colored fish. LOL

So can you get a steelhead in the Norrish if even by some small chance?

Thanks, MrGrey1

Inch Creek doesn't release any steelhead. They raise fish mostly for other small non DFO funded hatcheries. Also majority of the coho they raise are not theirs.

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

I think I was just asking a simple legit question. I posted it here, as I consider this forum bit more knowledgeable with some older members and professionals here.

Just because I've asked that question does not meat than I'm not trying to protect the smaller streams or the fishing. I was not going to advertise this stream as a Steelhead heaven!  Didn't need to be chewed out and get thrown to the wolfs just because it did not fit your older Sr. Member's mood. We should be able to ask some questions here. Aren't we..?

I've visited the hatchery there and saw many steelies in the pens. I was just wondering if they were used for the local return.

I could report on the Vedder but there is not much activity on lately. Anyways, I better not post another post you may not like... LOL

Tight Lines!
MrGrey1

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »

I think I was just asking a simple legit question. I posted it here, as I consider this forum bit more knowledgeable with some older members and professionals here.

Just because I've asked that question does not meat than I'm not trying to protect the smaller streams or the fishing. I was not going to advertise this stream as a Steelhead heaven!  Didn't need to be chewed out and get thrown to the wolfs just because it did not fit your older Sr. Member's mood. We should be able to ask some questions here. Aren't we..?

I've visited the hatchery there and saw many steelies in the pens. I was just wondering if they were used for the local return.

I could report on the Vedder but there is not much activity on lately. Anyways, I better not post another post you may not like... LOL

Tight Lines!

You just did advertise. However, Inch is not good for steelhead, so you survived  ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »

Tight Lines!

There's also this funny shaped rectangular box that says "search" beside it....  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »

The answers are pretty legit, just not what you wanted to hear, which would be a direct answer. I wouldn't say the opinions expressed is like being thrown to and chewed out by the wolves. These are concerned anglers, not ones who sit around and gang up on others.

We've thrown those ones to Sharp Hooks already.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »

We've thrown those ones to Sharp Hooks already.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D