Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon caught BB  (Read 7885 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Sturgeon caught BB
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

Lands a 6' sturgeon on BB gear? Im curious what pound test hes using to catch sockeye.... ???
The Bigger The Better!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »

Lands a 6' sturgeon on BB gear? Im curious what pound test hes using to catch sockeye.... ???
Not only that but it says he was BB at Brownsville Bar where there is minimal current. Fish tale?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »

you might as well bb in the ocean...lol

Butch1949

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »

I made reply post to greese30's request :Had anyone ever seen a sturgeon caught by BB'ing, as my Brother-inLaw had just done so at Brownsville Bar as witnessed there by approx 10 other fishermen and myself who at the time was also bottom bouncing with tide flow for springs and sockeye and jacks....the sturgeon came as a surprise to all, but the two jumps it made gave truth to it as a sturgeon.  Unfortunately I was slow getting my camera phone out to capture it mid air, but I did capture it's huge splash and my brother-in-law with it caught and re-entering the water.  He was using 15lb. test Maxima Ultra Green on a Sage rod w/ centre-pin and green wool! :o :o  He is with disabillity but managed to bring it near shore where it broke off and disappeared. That info last included is for Big Fisher.  If typhoon cares to give me his e-mail address I will gladly put to rest his suggestion of fish tale by making provision of the photo proving sturgeon ON!, I cannot see where you post on line here at Fishing with Rod photos but I have already  e-mailed to adresses amongst family and friends sending this awesome photo and will make provision via e-mail to anyone else interested.  Dragonspeed, I have seen a 10" baby sturgeon as well, my son who was about 6 at the time caught one at Huston Bar on the Fraser on a simple lure and bobber thrown out, will never forget the sight of this magnificent species and so young!
"I don't catch fish"

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

I'm guessing either you don't know where Brownsville Bar is, or you don't know what bottom bouncing is.
I have never seen one person BB'ing at Brownsville (under the Patullo Bridge) never mind 10 fishermen.
Sturgeon are snagged BB'ing or caught/snagged bar fishing all the time. Landing a 6 foot foul hooked sturgeon on light tackle in fast water is not impossible, just very unlikely.
Next time take a video - I'm sure you'll get lots of hits on youtube.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »

It can be done!I have seen people using 80 lb braid for sockeye  (When in the old days i flossed:) ) they said they used the line in case they hooked a spring :-\  I have seen a 5 1/2 footer caught and landed on pegleg in the past and that current is fairly fast.

dmoney

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »

It can be done!I have seen people using 80 lb braid

I hear you, but butch1949 is talking about landing a 6' sturgie on 15lb mono... I'd love to see that picture!

D$

Butch1949

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »

Thx Dmoney and next time I will use the video setting ::)
"I don't catch fish"

Butch1949

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »

Perhaps someone could help with a method to post photos and videos please :o
"I don't catch fish"

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »

photobucket, just create a PB accnt and then upload the pics to that accnt, then copy the img code and paste it in your post.....holmes*

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »

I landed a 4 1/2 foot sturgeon on 10 pd test at Brownsville Bar back in the day when one would anchor out and and bar rig with dog roe for coho. Released it at the side of the boat. Anything is possible when it comes to fishing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:48:11 PM by Rodney »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

Saw it today for the first time! A 4 ft sturgeon landed by a dude BB! Released unharmed! Dude thought he had a spring on! :o

rickjames_2

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »

Okay, i have one question in regards to this sturgeon caught, and that is about the reel used. I have never seen someone bottom bounce using a centre pin reel. Anyone else seen this before? ??? Baitcast and spinning reels sure but a centre pin i have never seen before for bottom bouncing...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

seen a guy a scale bar a couple days ago with a 4 footer on lost it after a couple ninutes after some jumps and it started going down river to fast.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Butch1949

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

My brother-in-law has been fishing the Fraser and Vedder and Thompson for over 25 years....He can fish with the best of them and is known out there, seems every time we go out someone usually an older fisherman comes up and talks to him, I saw his pencil lead, 15lb. line Maxima Ultra Green mono line and the simple green wool, his rod is a sage he had custom built at Fred's and he uses a centre pin reel and I have seen him bottom bounce lots, drift lots, cast and reel and in a boat troll with this centre pin , what's so hard about bottom bouncing with a centre pin? ???
"I don't catch fish"