Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Float tube fins  (Read 7926 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Float tube fins
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

I was just thinking...

When i bought my tube and fins I did so with a friend.  Same exact tubes and we both bought caddis fins to go with them.
I weighed 160lbs and my buddy weighed over 200lbs.
He could hardly move around with the caddis fins while I had no problem.  He ended up buying force fins and I could still boot around faster than him with my caddis fins.

So maybe the size of an individual might determine what kind of fins to invest in.

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Float tube fins
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »

I was just thinking...

When i bought my tube and fins I did so with a friend.  Same exact tubes and we both bought caddis fins to go with them.
I weighed 160lbs and my buddy weighed over 200lbs.
He could hardly move around with the caddis fins while I had no problem.  He ended up buying force fins and I could still boot around faster than him with my caddis fins.

So maybe the size of an individual might determine what kind of fins to invest in.

--on tubes it also depends how much of your body is in the water below the tube... many current tubes have floating foam or inflateable seat which raise your butt and reduce drag... it depends on where you are going to use the tube and how far you have to travel in the water.. I actually prefer old style with more body in the water however a floating seat will give you much faster distance travel with less effort. So decide are you really using the tube to troll a fly or cross a lake the moder almost boat style would be better. I find old style slows you down for more realistic bug drift speed rather than trolling.