Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Float tube fins  (Read 7926 times)

Preliator

Float tube fins
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

I'm just curious what you float tubers use for fins. I've read about a few different styles, but am unsure what would be ideal for a bellyboating. Do you sacrifice comfort for power and speed? Is there such thing as an extremely light AND powerful fin?

Dbasche

Re: Float tube fins
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »

Im not the expert on fins for tubes but what I did is I took an old pair of diving fins (they were relativly long) cut a bit of the and and cut holes in them so they alow water to flow through. Because in the tube I have, or most tubes, you dont have that mush power to swing your legs I belive having fins that are not to big and resistant of water is of advantage but not sure im not and expert!

Preliator

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

That's a interesting approach. Did you just trim the end or did you cut a specific pattern out? Where you able to test the fins before your cuts to do a before and after?

Dbasche

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »

Yeah I used the fins before and because there were so long it was somewhat hard to kick but mainly it was hard to steer as they get in the way of each other. I just cut them a little bit shorter. i dont think a cut pattern matters. I was looking online though and a lot of the higher end fins seemed to heave these holes in them that let water flow through them. I tried it and it seemed to work fine. Itsnot like im racing over the lakes but you can comfortably cover some distance!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »

I've been float tubing for close to 20 years now.  I've used numerous different types of fins in the past.  The only fins I'll use now are Force Fins.  Easy on the ankles/knees, great propulsion, and fairly light weight.  They're more expensive than most others, but they're also MUCH better, IMO.

Different people have different kicking styles, though, and I know a few* others who don't really like them.

Good luck!
:D
Tex

*and by a "few", I mean less than 10%... everyone else I've spoken with prefers Force Fins

aaron.az

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »

^^ i just recently got into fishing from a float tube. and had bought myself top of the line force fins. Tex is right they are easy on the ankles. everything takes effort, but its minimal when u buy the best. seeing as before i was using mid range price diving fins and with the proper fins it produced far better.

Preliator

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »

I've heard that you can get fake Force Fins... is there any truth to that, and is anyone sure of their quality? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to weigh my options as best as possible without trying to cheap out too much. Seems I'll end up spending more on the accessories to get started than I did on the boat itself  ;)

huttmiester

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »

I just started using a float tube and used the standard fins that came with my creek company uboat. I upgraded to the Caddis fins and they are very short and powerful. I really like them. and they were fairly cheap too.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »

I've heard that you can get fake Force Fins... is there any truth to that, and is anyone sure of their quality? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to weigh my options as best as possible without trying to cheap out too much. Seems I'll end up spending more on the accessories to get started than I did on the boat itself  ;)
--they are similar style but its the compound in the force fin that gives it much better rebound thus the fin is doing the work..
--some like the longer fins if in a U shape boat as fins float up more like swimming move from the hip.
--force fin can use a moon walk type motion.

--several styles and price for force fin as well.. fully adjustable can get to fit over boot or others that are sized... if using a soft bootie or neoprene sock the fit and confort is great.

--If using boot I'd just go for the caddis or other similar boot style fin if on a budget... can always keep them as back up if you get force fin some day.
-ps... not everyone likes force fins.. they are heavier and some prefer the lighter caddis.. different angle of kick... many preferred the shorter fins when using round or early style boats.. open or U shape longer fins are not a hassle to get in and out of the tube...force fins the company makes longer performance dive fins just not commonly used by the float tube crowd and they are pricey.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:43:48 PM by skaha »

Preliator

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »

It seems to also just be a matter of personal preference, not everyone thinks expensive is necessarily better. Being that I cannot afford the higher end Force Fins, I think I'll roll the dice with something like a Caddis Fin and hope I won't have to replace them right away  :D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »

Great idea!  Just like buying a mid-range fly rod, you'll still catch fish and have fun doing it... and it's not unusual to like that choice over the expensive option!
:D
Tex

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »

FWIW I used the Caddis brand fins for many years and I had no probs.

drock31

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »

I use the longer diving fins for a couple reasons but mostly for the power. To many times i have got caught in the wind and had to paddle back to shore. My girlfiend has the small ones that strap into your boots. They suck! Several times I have had to to her with a rope from my tube because the just have no propulsion.

Preliator

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Still getting mixed feelings on fins so I will see for myself. As soon as I get some time off work, that is :-/

dmoney

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »

I've always used my scuba fins. They're long but don't seem to get in the way, and are more powerful than force fins. The force are very comfortable, but I just don't care for that bicycle-style kicking motion (someone described it as moonwalking - good analogy). You can kick that way with the scuba fins if you need a break, but to cover water or to get to shore in a hurry to take a leak, there's nothing like the scuba-style fins.

I've tried the fake force fins, they're the right shape but heavy and stiff, no comparison. Don't bother. The small ones that clamp onto boots are no use if you want to cover any water.

The downside of my scuba-stle fins- in my pontoon (scadden Rampage), it's tough to get them under the brace-bar, but it's still worth it. They power my 10' pontoon along nicely, when I need my hands or don't want to row.

For the force fins users- do you wear them over your wader booties directly, or with wading boots, or neoprene socks, or shoes? My feet are size 14/15 so I have always had trouble finding fins to fit.

Thanks,

D$