Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed Mandatory Wear of PFD  (Read 7908 times)

Hook-NM

Proposed Mandatory Wear of PFD
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »

The email below might be of interst for recreational boaters:

Mandatory use of Personal Floatation Devices ("PFDs") on small recreational vessels

The need for the Canadian Government to pass a regulation for the mandatory use of Personal Floatation Devices ("PFDs") on small recreational vessels under six metres in length is far overdue.
Each year in Canada, people drown in rivers, lakes and ocean waters. Statistics show that 89% of persons who died were not wearing PFDs. In 31% of the cases, PFDs were not even present on the vessels involved. The mandatory use of PFDs could have prevented a large number of these predictable, preventable deaths.

Current Government regulations require only the presence of PFDs in the vessel. These regulations do not consider the difficulties in locating and donning on a PFD during an emergency, an event that becomes even more complicated when one is already in the water.

Most drowning occurs within ten metres of safety. People do not consider themselves to be at risk due to their perceived swimming ability, boating experience, availability of PFDs in the vessel, and their familiarization with the area.

The ongoing promotion of safety messages is not enough. We must change the behavioral patterns of the recreational boaters through much needed regulation such as was the case with seat belts in automobiles and helmets for bicycle riders.

Current research and opinion polls indicate that the public would support such mandatory wear legislation with an immediate 84-93% compliance rate.

CPS needs to take the lead in working to increase awareness of the significance and impact of boating related drowning in Canada by asking its members to support and advocate the required wearing of PFDs by all members at all times when operating a vessel six metres or less in length.

PROPOSAL:

To determine the level of support for the wearing of PFDs at all times when operating a vessel six metres or less in length and to help guide the legislators, please assist CPS National by completing the brief PFD Wear survey directly online at http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB227UXU7V5YX.

This topic can also be discussed on the new CPS Forum under Governmental Issues.

Scarborough, Ontario M1P 3A5
416-293-2438 / 1-888-277-2628

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Proposed Mandatory Wear of PFD
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

It would be nice if they gave you the results so far, after you did the survey.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Schenley

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

I would support under 16 having to wear PFDs... but adults?? Nope. There are too many variables involved.  And last time I checked, an individual is the primary person resonsible for his/her safety

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:46:09 PM »

I hate wearing them but will soon be wearing on at all times. This is what I want to get

Very lightweight and not constrictive. Good for the big boat and the 10 footer. They are not cheap though. Over $200

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Slamdunk

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »

PFD's are sort of like house insurance, or any other type of insurance for that matter.

You don't need it until you need it!!

I have good ol' lifejackets in my boat any time I go out, but they're cumbersome, better suited for sitting on rather than strapping them on, but none-the-less, I still wear mine every time I go out. Flat water or not, it doesn't matter. I also strap on my seat belt in the car every time I start the ignition.

Last Xmas my wife bought me one of the Mustang PFD , but it wasn't the type that  automatically inflates when coming into contact with water, so I took it back. I am really worried that if I, a fly caster, stand up and cast and loose my balance, hit my head, knocked out, I won't be able to pull the cord to inflate the PFD. I feel safer wearing the old fashioned type. The store didn't have the model I was looking at, so I'm still stuck with the soft cushion type. I wear the thing, but would really like to have the automatic inflatable type.

My butt doesn't hurt though!!  ::)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »

2 things of note here-

1-Power Squadron has far too much time on it's hands.

2- People are wussies.

That is all.

Slamdunk

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »

SS,

Wussies?

No, just husbands / fathers who don't want to leave widows / children wondering why I didn't strap on the life jacket when everybody knows that is the safe and sensible thing to do.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »

SS,

Wussies?

No, just husbands / fathers who don't want to leave widows / children wondering why I didn't strap on the life jacket when everybody knows that is the safe and sensible thing to do.

I agree

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »

That will interfere with fishing big time...

I wear one when I'm running the jet, but once the anchor is down, it comes off.

That will not change.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »

BB i use one of those when im wading faster water or pontooning.  You won't even notice having it on.  The "wussy" argument sounds like one a high school kid might make in front of his friends.  You'd rather appear tough and look like the cool guy than show a little bit of personal responsibility.  Grow up.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »

That will interfere with fishing big time...

I wear one when I'm running the jet, but once the anchor is down, it comes off.

That will not change.

Cheers,
Nicole

You betcha!

You'd rather appear tough and look like the cool guy than show a little bit of personal responsibility.  Grow up.

If I fall in and drown it's my responsibility-I don't expect anyone anyone like Power Squadron (whom I used to respect a lot more before I realised what a bunch of old whingers they are) , the Govt or internet know-it-alls  to interfere. ::)

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:17:30 PM »

The problem here is that if you take a dunk, the people risking their lives and spending money saving your hiney, don't know you from Tom or Fred.  They assume you'd prefer to be rescued, and do their job.  It makes things a lot cheaper and easier if you're floating then sinking. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 02:05:53 AM »

SS rather than stoop to your level and call you names, I'm just going to say that I would happily interfere with your falling in and drowning, even if it pissed you off that I, or any other "wussy internet know-it-alls" did so.  I don't think that wearing a pfd should be mandated, except for kids, since there are a lot of ignorant parents out there who take their children's safety (and their own) for granted.  If you're an adult, fine, do whatever you want....thats up to you...but don't call people "wussies" because they put a higher value on their life than you do with your own....

So what possible argument can somebody make for not wearing a pfd that you don't even notice you have on until you need it????  Cost could be the only one I can think of, to me my life is worth a couple hundred bucks easily. 

Nicole I have never had an issue with the "sos"penders getting in the way of fishing, in the least.  Inflated, maybe, but then you'll have other things on your mind :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:10:51 AM by marmot »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:27 AM »

This argument sounds eerily similar to the ones in the US for motorcycle helmets and seatbelts.  PDF's are not mandated in the US for adults, but they are for kids on vessels under 24 feet.  The cost argument hardly holds water.  Boats are expensive and you can buy a new USCG approved Type 3 vest for 5 bucks.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 11:08:32 AM »

Nicole I have never had an issue with the "sos"penders getting in the way of fishing, in the least.  Inflated, maybe, but then you'll have other things on your mind :)

Heh you don't have the ahem, 'gear' I have by nature that already gets in the way, let alone when my lifejacket is on ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin