Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fillet fish  (Read 11674 times)

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
How to fillet fish
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:44 AM »

Pretty good page for all of you that want to learn how to fillet your catch or just look for some additional information or tips&tricks... ;D

http://www.filleting-fish.com/fish-species

Cheers

Nico

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!
Re: How to fillet fish
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »

That is handy.. Thank you!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »

Thanks for the link!  8)

Did you see the guy filet that small Halibut?

Slick!

His knife is sharp as a razor.

The Salmon I wasn't so impressed with though-too much flipping the fish over and back and over and over.

Cutting the belly meat off and throwing it away is a rookie move any day-that's the best eating part of the fish.

Mind you it's just a hatchery slug.  ;D

fishyfish711

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »

Some say the cheeks are best. The belly is good but bony isn't it? With the bone from the two lower pelvic fins. When I go for sushi they offer belly. It is cooked and tasty but I think it is bony. My favourite part is from the anal fin to the tail. Seldom any bones in that fillet. Agree very good link. Thank you. I too was most impressed with that razor sharp knife. Makes life a lot easier. I picked up a Scotty's knife sharpener. Some die hard knife guys probably wouldn't use it  but I found it does a pretty good job. It was only about $10 too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:47:49 PM by fishyfish711 »

fish tracker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »

Good video
How do you get your knife sharp enough to do that?

Nick78

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:09:52 AM »

I'm 100% sure he's a comercial fisherman from the Netherlands as the original website is http://www.visfileren.nl/ . I don't agree with all his technics too, but some are pretty impessive! Those sharpeners he uses kill your knifes as it takes a big long chip from the blade every time you sharpen your knife. They replace their knifes every 1-2 weeks cause almost nothing is left of it. But it's fast and time is money. For private use i prefer honing stones in 3 diffrent grain sizes. Takes longer but I love my knife ;)

the carp

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:34:34 AM »

A good site , thanks. I run a big charter boat up north and we filet most of our guests salmon, we find the most popular method that our guests like is when we gut the fish, and using a long bladed ham slicer type knife, we take off whole sides including the belly bones. The belly bones and meat can be removed later and used for either smoking or chowder. The ham slicers are available at most knife shops at a cost of 35.00. For sharpening i prefer the accusharp over the Scotty, but using a stone is much easier on youre knives.

Headshake

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »

What the heck is a ham slicer?
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »

Nick78

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »

The ham slicer is a good idea for very big fish like 30lb springs as the height of the fish is to big for the most common knifes. I got a Marttiini knife made in Finland, those guys are well known for the quality of their blades. It's the best i've ever had!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »

Cutting the belly meat off and throwing it away is a rookie move any day-that's the best eating part of the fish.

Mind you it's just a hatchery slug.  ;D

He is probably cutting it off because it is a hatchery slug and that is where the highest concentration of toxins would be.

Nick78

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »

He's just cutting the belly fat off. Hatchery trout and Salmon got a lot more of that than wild fish got.

hoboryan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »

Have you guys tried using those sashimi knives that Sushi chef's use?
I've been wondering how well they would work since those chef's need to take apart tuna sized fish plus salmon as well.

-HR

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

Have you guys tried using those sashimi knives that Sushi chef's use?
I've been wondering how well they would work since those chef's need to take apart tuna sized fish plus salmon as well

There are Japanese knives and then there are Japanese knives, the slicer the Sushi Chef uses (i think they're called Yanagiba) is different from the sword/shank that someone cuts up a big carcass with.

A real Sushi slicer is only sharpened on one side-dunno about the swords/shanks-I don't think a Yanagiba would handle bones too well without chipping those blades are quite thin/brittle.

They're both quite stiff, light for their size but real stiff, not like a Scandinavian blade at all.

Nick78

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »

The Sushi or Sashimi knifes are pretty good knifes. A friend of mine does his fileting jobs with it all the time and he says that's the best he ever had. But there are two things that I personaly don't really like. First thing is the high prize and the next they do rust, especially when you use it in saltwater on your boat. You always have to oil it when you're done.