Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland Largemouth Bass - Question  (Read 9024 times)

mykisscrazy

Lower Mainland Largemouth Bass - Question
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »

Question - Are they safe to eat? If so  does anyone have any recipes they want to share? In the past I just toss them up on the bank and let the gulls and crows take care of them...

CALI 2 B.C.

Re: Lower Mainland Largemouth Bass - Question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »

I personally wouldnt eat bass from here unless they were in a good system with flowing water certainly not from somewhere like albert dick park or fishtrap creek.i havent tasted bass in about 3 years since i got here.But back in cali id fillet them and beer batter them like alot of white fish or tempura.IF not interested in deep fried food they are great grilled with fresh lemon, garlic, and pepper. enjoy
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

dmocchi

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »

Now,,,, why would u do that??????  ??? Theyre living u know???? .Reminiscent of people leaving bullheads to dry out on docks......I never understood that......... :-[

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »

My buddy and I kept some largemouth bass once, they seemed fine and were pretty good. We coated them in flour and fried them in some oil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 10:27:52 PM by Zach »

fish fishburn

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »

I fillet them and dip in egg wash and use smokey bbq chips as a coating. Fry with some vegie oil and voila.

dmocchi

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »

I personally wouldnt eat bass from here unless they were in a good system with flowing water certainly not from somewhere like albert dick park or fishtrap creek.i havent tasted bass in about 3 years since i got here.But back in cali id fillet them and beer batter them like alot of white fish or tempura.IF not interested in deep fried food they are great grilled with fresh lemon, garlic, and pepper. enjoy

Whats wrong with A.D Park?? The water seems quite clean and unpolluted by residents and visitors. Its stagnant .....but its a pond afterall.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »

Whats wrong with A.D Park?? The water seems quite clean and unpolluted by residents and visitors. Its stagnant .....but its a pond afterall.

I think that would be one of the only places that I would eat them, also at Silvermere is you can get into that lake because its private. Albert Dyck is an old gravel pit so it should be fine. I wouldnt eat any in the Pitt Sloughs......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

dmocchi

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:54:49 PM »

OK...good to know cause Ive actually have taken fish from this pond and eaten them........The flesh was not as 'muddy' tasting as some may expect but the specimens that I caught werent that large either......The idea here is eating smaller fishes that havent 'aged' as much and thereby developed an overbearing muddy flavour

Nutterbug

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »

Now,,,, why would u do that??????  ??? Theyre living u know???? .Reminiscent of people leaving bullheads to dry out on docks......I never understood that......... :-[

Maybe because they're exotic, and shouldn't be there in the first place?

Nutterbug

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

I think that would be one of the only places that I would eat them, also at Silvermere is you can get into that lake because its private. Albert Dyck is an old gravel pit so it should be fine. I wouldnt eat any in the Pitt Sloughs......

Is there something toxic in the water there, or just mud?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »

Is there something toxic in the water there, or just mud?

Well it is a farming area so there is likely run-off from the fields that would contain farm animal feces, dissolved fertilizer, etc.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »

Well it is a farming area so there is likely run-off from the fields that would contain farm animal feces, dissolved fertilizer, etc.

Thats the exact reason

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family