Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking fish question  (Read 18550 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: smoking fish question
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »

I always put mine in the oven but after I peel the skin off. This helps to dry the oils out.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 07:40:55 AM »

If you like hot smoked fish, look into these propane fired smokers. My buddy has one and they're the cat's bezzoink.

Absolutely positively the best way to make smoked fish (or smoked turkey which I did one year as well ...mmmmm).

Around $250

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 11:55:48 AM »

I always put mine in the oven but after I peel the skin off. This helps to dry the oils out.

just curious what temp you use and about how long?  My last batch took 20hrs in the smoker to get to the consistency I wanted.  I debated putting it in the oven to finish it off sooner but decided against it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 03:27:13 PM »

The lowest temp on the oven. Mine is about 150-200. I lay paper towel on a cooky sheet and lay the smoked salmon on the paper towel and layer it putting paper towel between layers. Just did a batch yesterday and boy is it good.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

luckylager1

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 08:40:58 PM »

Just bring it right out of the brine and smoke it!!
That gives it the most flavor.
The real secret-----------is to vac pac it while it is still warm,tthat gives it that nice glaze on the fish an seals in all the fresh smoked flavor.try that and you will not be disapointed.
I don`t care if my fish is pretty------it just tastes good,and that is what counts!

boscheefish

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

can you get away with just using zip lock bags after smoking?
long live the vedder

Nucks

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »

Try and get all the pieces the same thickness so they cook evenly and you wont have this problem. Keep in mind that the fish will continue to cook for a bit once you remove it from the smoker. Some people like it dry and others like it moist.

Richmond

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »

I put the biggest thickest pieces on the bottom rack, to help cook them first, then start moving racks around threw the last half of smoke

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »

Do you baste your salmon as you smoke them or do you just baste them after they come out of the smoker ? Just got a little chief , first batch going in tomorrow .

gofishon

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »

Read the recipes that come with the smoker. I find my variation of the dry cure suits my taste. I suppose you could " baste " it before, but I prefer the flavour the brine with spices give the salmon ( along with your own mix of hardwood chips ). I don't baste only brine (to cure). My 2 cents worth.