Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking fish question  (Read 18551 times)

oldtimehockey

smoking fish question
« on: December 10, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »

I am new to smoking fish and did my first batch yesterday.  How much moisture should there still be in the fish after hot smoking?  I brined the fish the night before.  Washed it off and dried it with paper towel.  Let dry for 1 hour before putting into my little chief smoker.  I ended up leaving some pieces in for 12 hours and others for 14.   The fish was dry on the outside and still a bit moist on the inside.  Is this ok or should it all be dry?
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
Re: smoking fish question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:18:25 AM »

RIGHT AFTER U SMOKE IF, PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE OVER NIGHT, IT SHOULD BE READY TO GO THE NEXT DAY AS THE FISH FIRMS UP A BIT !

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »

when I do mine with the little chief I brine it, then let the peices dry for a day on the racks  in a cool area, then we smoke it for about three pans of moist chips, we check it and if its still a little mushy in the center we let it cook for a little while longer without any more smoke. Try and use equal size peices of fish, nothing too thick, and by allowing to dry for 6 to 8hrs this will cut down on the time in the smoker.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 11:39:27 AM »

nothing too thick

^ I JUST SMOKED A 40 POUND RED, PROB THE BEST FISH I EVER SMOKED, ALL U HAVE TO DO IS PUT SLICES IN UR FILLET EVERY 2 INCHES OR SO RIGHT DOWN TO THE SKIN, SO THAT THE BRINE AND SMOKE GET ALL THE WAY THROUGH !

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:38:49 PM »

I am new to smoking fish and did my first batch yesterday.  How much moisture should there still be in the fish after hot smoking?  I brined the fish the night before.  Washed it off and dried it with paper towel.  Let dry for 1 hour before putting into my little chief smoker.  I ended up leaving some pieces in for 12 hours and others for 14.   The fish was dry on the outside and still a bit moist on the inside.  Is this ok or should it all be dry?

Sounds like you did it right.  Moisture content is a personal preference.  As long as the fish is not mushy and flakes well it is done.  If you prefer a dryer product try a prolonged dry brine, don't rinse it off and air dry a tad longer.  I let mine cool down after smoking then I vaccum seal it and freeze.  Onced unthawed the consistancy changes for the better.  I find this process redistributes the moisture content.  eg. if the outer crust is dry this will moisten it up some.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »

The fish was dry on the outside and still a bit moist on the inside.  Is this ok or should it all be dry?

Perfect. That's the way I like mine.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »

I skin all my salmon.  It's a pain in the A##, but the fish tastes way better.  Salmon store alot of the nasty toxins in their fat layer as well as their fishy after taste.  By taking the skin off you eliminate those things in your fish, the brine gets into fhe fish better and the smoking process goes faster. 

You 'll also want to check the temperature of your smoker.  Before I got my Bradley, I always had a tough time getting the smoker warm enough.  I had to stick a briquette or 2 in there as well as wrapping the smoker with cardboard. 

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 06:19:29 PM »

The fish was dry on the outside and still a bit moist on the inside.  Is this ok or should it all be dry?

Did you like it?  - Is so, it was perfect ;)  Too moist for your likes?  smoke it longer.  Everyone finds their "sweet spot"

Cheers!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »

"little chief smoker"  are not the best for "hot" smoking and can take days to really dry out a fish. Like someone else mentioned put some bbq briquettes in the bottom to decrease the dry out time. I use two batches of eight briquettes(the normal one not the easy lighting ones with the fuel all over them) in metal box used for wood chips for the bbq. Works great as I like the fish dried right out to jerky. Just did some and it took about 14 hours and it's dry as crackers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

oldtimehockey

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »

Is it ok to put the smoked fish in the freezer after smoking it?  I thawed the fish out in the first place in order to smoke it and I am worried that if I freeze it again that the quality will deteriorate.  Any suggestions?  Also, how long will smoked fish last in the fridge?  Simply in a tupperware container.  What's the shelf life?  Thanks for all of your prior suggestions. ;)
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
-Greg Norman

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »

No Tupperware, yes paper bag. The fish will get moldy in the Tupperware and will continue to dry out in the paper bag. I have kept some hiding in the back of the fridge for a couple months, the last batch I did is almost gone. The little chief only does 2 smaller size salmon. The drier they are the longer they last and yes you can freeze them again after smoking. Canning works better though and makes nice Xmas presents or whatever.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishyfish

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:35:48 PM »

I was unable to post a new topic. I have not posted before and it seems due to spam new posters must reply to something first. I think. Anyway could anyone in the port moody area help me understand where foreshore park is? I have been on google maps and  can find shoreline park but not foreshore park. The reason I am asking is because I was told there was a boat launch there? This is a different one than the one at Rocky Point I hope? Any info on this or any other boat launches in the moody area would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »

Great idear about the briquettes in the little chief.

Had more than one batch in the cold and damp that this would have benefitted from.
Great tip but i now have a Bradley.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 10:43:59 PM »

If you like hot smoked fish, look into these propane fired smokers. My buddy has one and they're the cat's bezzoink.

Guppy

• nothing but steelhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

if you want it a little more dry near the center of the fish I would put it in the oven for a while on low mabey 3mins as low as you can get it but I think that sounds good.
small fish in a big river