Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River Valley Is A Disaster Area.  (Read 47320 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River Valley Is A Disaster Area.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »

I appreciate everyone's concern and work.  You all are very dedicated to preserving this area and it's good to see.  I hope I don't sound too cynical however, but sometimes it's best to let things go to hell in a handbasket to force government to take action.  If the symptoms are covered up too much the illness isn't always very noticeable.  What I'm getting at is that if word gets out that there are a bunch of meth users trashing the place and it's not safe to go etc, etc, the businesses will be up in arms.  They will then in turn put the heat on the government to do something.  I for one will do my part to contact the local toursm board or chamber of commerce to see what I can do.  Those pictures discust me and I can't tell you how many times I've thought of not coming up because of the threat of getting my truck broken into.  Keep fighting the good fight. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »

You know what I find ironic about this, is that all this crap happens in the backyard of the Minister of the Environment. I guess the NIMBY policy does not apply to the Chiilliwack River Valley.  What we have here is a group of selfish individuals who have no respect for the law, or the environment. It is a pretty sad commentary on the type of world we live in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:47:05 PM by dennyman »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »

Can't the citizens on Patrol call in this stuff? I know it can't be that big of a deal for guys to go up and take pictures of license plates and the campers to make sure the area is cleaned up...
I just can't believe that IF the city wanted to they couldn't square this away in one weekend..

steelhead

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »

AMEN......  X.G.............It all comes down to respect for anything and the lack of it. The only thing some understand is the law. Therefore a lack of the law and disrespect of  things has brought this on. Rod's idea allowing it to hit rock bottom is the only way enough discust will arrive.
 When we were kids sometimes a good spanking was the only way our parents got our attention. But if NO spanking ever happened we continued the wrong path. The offenders MUST be taught RESPECT ,,,,yes by the law . If picture after picture after picture is given to the RCMP the Sqeeky wheel WILL get some grease I.E. action. Just keep complaining to them.
Every time you clean things up for these camper pigs they see all is nice and neat again , therefore "my junk just seems to go away magicly I can dump again".
Thoughts from the USA
Sorry for your problem ............JW

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 07:21:35 PM »

Can't the citizens on Patrol call in this stuff? I know it can't be that big of a deal for guys to go up and take pictures of license plates and the campers to make sure the area is cleaned up...
I just can't believe that IF the city wanted to they couldn't square this away in one weekend..
Apparently I have been told the COP have been doing what you suggested but will not go into one of the bad areas as I mentioned before because of safety issues.

This area is outside the City Of Chilliwack's City limits and is under the jurisdiction of the Fraser Valley Regional District

Steelhead, do you have the same problem down your way if not how did they solve it?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »

It might be outside of Chilliwack's jurisdiction, but not outside the influence of Chilliwack.  What would happen to Chilliwack if suddenly people chose not to spend a dime there because of rancid and unsafe conditions at their doorstep? 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »

Here is a  tongue in cheek solution for this problem. Seeing that funds are so tight for extra Conservation Officers, why not make the Chilliwack River Valley the new home for problem black bears in the Lower Mainland. The bears will be there 24/7, easy to maintain as they will feed on the garbage that is strewn about or the odd chronic polluter. Seeing that everyone at the municipal and the provincial level is passing the buck around on this issue with no one taking ownership for it. We have to think outside the box and come up with new and creative solutions.  ;D ;D

steelhead

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »

Chris............ I have fished the Vedder/ Chill. system for 30 plus years and rarely see any problem during the winter season so its a few gerks that cause 90% of the problem. It has to come from law enforcement. However the  general lack of respect for everything is at the root of all of this ,,I E.,,breakins, theft, vandilizing, school tagging and all of it. I know it may sound polyanna but at least the rivers , lakes , schools, private property we haven't seen the abuse you are experiencing up north. Its a sociatal problem. Mostly related to large city mentaiity. Again the big stick is the only thing they seem to understand.
Strong peer pressure and "we just don't do that" ,,,,parent to offspring influence is how it works here.
My mother was Canadian so I am Dual citizen and sorry to say I see a marked diff. in Canada............
Dam it we all need Respect , respect for all

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

Maybe something that would help with enforcement would be to have a larger percent of fines going directly to the policing agency? Maybe a bylaw enforcement?  Not that I think its good to give police a motive to fine people, but really, those people are piggies (the campers  ::) ) and something should be improved obviously.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »

Chris How you been long time no see. Anyway I,m glad to see the old riverwatch program is now a booming success i,ve been out of the game for a while due to the hrs i work. I had a look at the criminal garbage that was left by the vandals on the long weekend boy does it look like what was left on the lower part of the river. So what has to happen, look what abbotsford did with there side of the river THEY SHUT IT OFF. now Chilliwack is following suit with the new gates, hopefully they will open it when fishing season is upon us.What i have noticed is that the lower part of the river is now a lot cleaner with the criminal garbage  and the litter basically under control. I think it,s about time for the city or whomever to install gates up top i understand that this will be an inconvenience for some but what choice do we have. To the die hard fishers perhaps they could request from the gatekeepers for a key so they could get access to their favorite spots. I understand that this would be a bit of a hasslefor them but again what do we do.SHUT IT OFF If these criminals have no regard for our little piece of heaven then they should not be aloud to access it.This is a huge problem i only wish i had all the answers but i dint i can only suggest perhaps a few solutions if any are followed up then my dream of a unpolluted valley will have come true. I have a few more ideas but i,ll keep them for a future discussion

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »

Its to bad the freshest couldnt have held off for another week after the may long weekend, It would have gave us a chance to get all the garbage before a large portion of it was swept away. Saturday,  there was a half dozen guys above the crossing, killing and keeping fish.
The Bigger The Better!

nosey

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »

Saturday,  there was a half dozen guys above the crossing, killing and keeping fish.

Did these people killing and keeping fish get reported to the C.O's or the RCMP?

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »

Saturday,  there was a half dozen guys above the crossing, killing and keeping fish.

I think it might be high time to start lynching people outlaw style.

Just pop out of the truck and go to work on the arms and legs with Uncle Louis. That would show pocahers and bums that you dont mess around on 'our' turf.

Its extreme but what will show these guys that people mean business ????

"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 09:38:01 PM »

Chris, I didn't realize the upper was out of chilliwacks jurisdiction... Man, that's just bum luck...I still think if they did a few cruises up and the river then it would solve some of the problem...But unless a vigilante gang went out and started doing the job the police and handcuffed to do...Nothing is going to change except it will get worse!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »

This is a problem everywhere here in British Columbia, there just is so many people that donot care about looking after our environment. Today's Vancouver Province had a front page story on all the rowdyism and alike that is going on each weekend during good weather.
These activities go hand in hand with what the Chilliwack River Valley is experiencing.The challenge of course is to come up with some viable solutions and get some agencies to enforce them, not easy.